Paul Babits forced to close his building (temporarily)

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Paul Babits forced to close his building (temporarily)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 am

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs. ... 09571/1015

Pole vaulter faces most important hurdle of all

Vault vote
What: Allen County Board of Zoning Appeals
When: 1 p.m. April 18
Where: Room 35, Garden Level of Citizens Square, 200 E. Berry St.
For more information: http://www.polevaultcamps.com
County will decide whether successful training facility can reopen

By Kevin Leininger of The News-Sentinel
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 12:01 am

Paul Babits has soared above plenty of obstacles since he picked up a bamboo pole and vaulted over a fence when he was just 12. But the bar he'll face later this month may be his toughest yet, and Babits knows he must clear it if he hopes to continue building up his demanding but often-unrecognized sport.

“I still get to jump, but it's a shame for the kids,” said the 51-year-old Babits, who in February was forced to close the training facility in the cavernous 6,400-square-foot barn near his Pion Road home after an anonymous complaint – from a rival coach, he suspects – alerted county officials that he had been operating a recreational facility in an area zoned for residential use. The Board of Zoning Appeals is expected to decide April 18 whether Babits can resume classes and conduct camp at his “Vault High Facility” later this month as scheduled.

“I built this place just for me,” he said, gazing up at the ceiling 35 feet above the floor and toward the far wall 160 feet away, providing plenty of room for a good running start and championship-level jumps. “But then kids started coming in. One turned into two, and two turned into three.”

And pretty soon, a private facility turned into a full-time business – meaning its future is no longer solely in Babits' hands.

But those hands have done pretty well – at least when they're gripping a pole that has sent him soaring as high as 18.6 feet into the air. The former Michigan high school champion has sponsored the “Street Vault” during the annual Fort Wayne Newspapers Three Rivers Festival and is still among the best vaulters in his age group, having competed in the Olympics trials in 1984 and 1996. Along the way, he's also trained 21 high school state champions and 27 students who have received college scholarships. The barn's walls are lined with photos and newspaper clippings testifying to Babits' prowess as an athlete and coach.

That's all in limbo, though, while the facility – as Babits' web site puts it – remains “closed for renovations.”
“For now, I'm unemployed,” he said.

If the neighbors' opinions mean anything, Babits won't be idle for long. Jay Henschen, who has lived nearby for 44 years said he “never had a problem” with the vaulting activities. “I hardly even know it's there,” he said.
That's because the training takes place indoors, Babits said, and is limited to 10 or fewer students at a time.

Department of Planning officials clearly want to keep it that way. If the BZA allows him to resume operations – and I suspect it will, and should – it's likely to impose several conditions designed to minimize the facility's impact on neighbors. According to a staff report, those conditions could include limits on the number of students and employees, hours of operation and lighting. The BZA must also grant a waiver because the barn was built slightly too close to the property line.

Having to worry about such mundane things is a change for Babits, whose enthusiasm for vaulting is fueled by the ability to “go up and fly through the air."

Earlier this month, ironically, Babits and wife Brenda, who has been vaulting for five years, were featured in no less than the New York Times, which mentioned their business but not the struggle to save it.

“The feeling you get flying over the bar, nothing is better than that,” Brenda told the Times.

They and their students hope to have a similar feeling after the BZA meeting this month, and I wish them success. What better place for pole vaulters than a pole barn?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Paul Babits forced to close his building (temporarily)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 am

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local/jump ... chool-open

Jumping legal loopholes to keep pole vault school open
Updated: Saturday, 14 Apr 2012, 7:53 AM EDT
Published : Friday, 13 Apr 2012, 9:50 PM EDT

LaMar Holliday
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) - A Fort Wayne man has been giving pole vaulting lessons to high school and college age students in his backyard, but now he has to jump through some legal hoops to continue their training.

The problem is Paul Babits, owner of Vault High Athletics, doesn't have the right permit to have a commercial business in a residential zone, according to the Allen County Board of Zoning Appeals.

Babits is running pole vault training courses in his 6,400 square foot barn on his property. His next door neighbor, Carl Luetzelschwab remembers when Babits told him he was going to build the barn.

"One day he came over and said, hey I'm going to build a pole barn for pole vaulting because I'm a pole vaulter," he said.

Luetzelschwab said he didn't have a problem with it. He said he even enjoys going over to the barn and watching Babits train high school and college students to pole vault.

According to Bryan McMillan of the Department of Planning Services, Babits needs to get approval to operate educational or business use on a residential property.

We tried to reach Babits, but he wasn't available. Babits' hearing is scheduled for April 18th at 1 p.m. at the Citizens Square Building in Fort Wayne. Other neighbors in the community said they believe Babits is doing a great thing and some said they will be at the hearing to support him.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Paul Babits forced to close his building (temporarily)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Good news, he passed the zoning board stuff and is back in business! I'm sure having the support of all of his neighbors helped tremendously :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”