Not too late to start pole vaulting again!

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Not too late to start pole vaulting again!

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Here's a chart to check your grip against height - http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/dj.htm
A 10' 6" grip is a 9'.
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby GasPasser » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm thrilled to discover that there is PV in Master's T&F. Had I known, I would have gotten back into this before I became a wasted shell of an ex-athlete. (I was a HS vaulter 30+ yrs ago, and a college rower.) I thought I kept myself reasonably in shape by running 3 miles 3-4 times a week. Even did a 1/2 marathon 15 yrs ago.

Things changed when I took my kid to a PV camp a couple of years ago and tried a couple of 3-step jumps (without a warm-up) and did a number on my hamstring. It took several weeks for me to recover from that. But the good thing was that I learned about Masters T&F, and the PV fire in me sparked back up. It took me another year to find a PV club that wasn't an hour drive away or more. I did find one that in less than 30 mins away. I took about 4 months doing strength training to get myself in better shape and gave up the 3-mile runs due to time constraints. I've got visible muscles again and dropped about 10 lbs. I'm hoping to get to my Sr. yr. college weight by summer. The great thing is that Masters PV has given me reason and desire to train once again.

In my PV lessons it became apparent that my run was pitiful. I went to my first meet after just a couple of practices and managed to clear the opening height 2.5m (8'2") with a 3-step run and holding about 10' on a 13' pole. A few more practices and 6 weeks later, I was up to 9' in my 2nd indoor meet (4-step, holding at 10'9"), but once again, pulled/strained my hamstring on my TO leg. It's kept me from jumping for a month, but now able to jog on it. I've kept up the strength training.

I've got my eye on a 12' pole, because I'm not bending the 13' pole given my hand height. Once I top out the 12' pole, I'll move back to the 13' pole.

I really need to get my legs in better shape and improve my range of motion. Lower back and hamstrings are very tight. Legs are tight, foot-speed is slow, and stride is fairly small. (my 3 & 4 step run is about the same distance as novice HS girls). In addition, my shoulder (high hand) is always sore since I started jumping. It stinks being old when I'm trying to get back in to it.

Any advice would be appreciated on how to heal/fix my hamstring and improve my run. Workouts for the run would be awesome. I've been out of the training scene for too long.

BTW, if you haven't seen the video at the USATF Masters site (http://www.usatf.org/TF.aspx) "Forever Fast" - it is worth checking out. I really related to it. It answers the puzzled look I get when I tell people I'm pole vauting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpY6NRH_ ... r_embedded

You other Masters vaulters are my heros, I hope to meet and share some great times vaulting with many of you in the coming years!

larry d
PV Fan
Expertise: former h.s. vaulter. Current Masters vaulter and decathlon competitor
Lifetime Best: 12 ft. 3in
Favorite Vaulter: john altendorf

Unread postby larry d » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:01 pm

hey G.P.er,
Welcome to the club !! What took you so long ? Sorry to hear about your pulled hammy,but that will heal. We've all been through the same thing and had to learn to sufficiently warm up and also listen to your body's signals when they FIRST talk to you. Like "master" says,when you get that 1st little signal that something might be wrong,don't "man-up"...instead,at our age you back off and get past it to vault another day !!
So what part of the country are you in ? I'd love to hear from you and keep up with your vaulting progress.
>As for your training questions,I'd refer you to bubbapv.com...a wealth of pv knowledge and information.
>Also the various headings and threads on this site are loaded with similar info and pv goodies .. .more than one man can probably absorb in a lifetime !!
Once again,welcome back. It's a fine brotherhood you've found.
larry d
Get off the couch !!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 am

GasPasser wrote:Any advice would be appreciated on how to heal/fix my hamstring and improve my run. Workouts for the run would be awesome. I've been out of the training scene for too long.

If you have the time/money, investing in a good personal trainer or physical therapist who can help you heal from your injuries, and address the underlying strength/flexibility issues that are causing them would be well worth the investment. Hamstring injuries tend to keep coming back unless you really get to the root of the problem.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:45 pm

What rainbowgirl means is that if your hamstrings get hurt, usually it is because some other muscle in your body isn't working right and the hamstring got injured trying to compensate for it.

I agree with getting skilled help. And it can't just be a personal trainer or physical therapist (or other provider) - it has to be the right personal trainer or physical therapist (or other provider). Usually the knowledge and skill to track down the root problem is learned AFTER they get their certifying training.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 pm

P.S.: Welcome back!

Where are you located?

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"

Unread postby GasPasser » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm located in NJ.

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:32 am

Best of luck G.P. - it seems we are in similar circumstances of enjoying vaulting after a long break. Mike

jwebs428
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach/Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'

Unread postby jwebs428 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Hello everyone! My story is a lot like the ones I have been reading. I am a former high school jumper and will be 44 years old this year. I walked into the local high school last year and asked if I could help out. My main motivation was to get my 6th and 8th grade kids introduced. One thing led to another and the next thing you know I was doing drills and going over 9' on a soft pole. This year I decided to really start practicing. I get about 2 days of jumping in a week. I just cleared 12' last week (ok well maybe 11'10 with the bungee sag) and things seem to be going good. Wanting to do more I want to start going to a meet or two. Can anyone advise where the best place to locate masters meets in the northern Illinois area?

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Welcome to the club! USATF.ORG (Masters Section) to start and masterstrack.com to name two. I'm in Colorado and USATF has a special CO section. Your state might too. Outdoor season is here (or coming later in CO), so go for it!! Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”