Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks Bubba
I have a meet this weekend ( the Oregon Invitaional) where I am going to try and jump with some of college vaulters. It's always fun to beat a few young guys and just to be out on the field with the young guys is great. So I will not change anything now but next week I am going to get this going and get my quest for perfect techinque back on track.
Later

jr
PV Nerd

Unread postby jr » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Bubba,Thanks for the input.Our high school isn't real thrilled with any summer activities that aren't school related.I might try the college where my son goes to see if they want to have a summer vault series.They have a new indoor facility and I coach the vault there.
Jerry

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Tecnique Work

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:23 pm

You know vaultwest, with everything you're already doing right with regard to your take off, you might want to try this. It's a 1-3 jump fix and is real easy but a little spooky at first. When you take off try not to never let your top hand come behind your forehead. Pretned there's plywood coming off your forehead that stops your hand from ever going back.

I know this is impossible and sounds totally ridiculous but the arc will take off in front of you and you will be way out on the runway side of the arc where you have better leverage. I've talked to Tully and DJ about this and that's where I felt their description of chasing the the arc through the back of the pit. I may not be interpreting their intentions quite right but it feels to me like I'm way out on the end of the seesaw so to speak.

At the top of any jump off the ground your body goes stiff so that's the impetus to make the arc take off. Just thinking out loud but if you've got a meet this weekend you can use it right away. Just jump up and slam your top hand from your take off to your hip in one motion. YES the centrifugal force and impact of take off will hit you but ignore it and slam through it rather than catch and react to it. Borya Celentano used to tell me he knows it's coming, just not exactly when, so he slams through it like a karate chop and refuses to let it slow his hand down while it's on it's way to his lock off destination. Sorry for the verbal squirts but I know you understand this and can pretty much easily use it. Take care. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:15 pm

Bubba
thanks for the idea, Actually I think that is what I try to do I just have been thinking about it a little bit differently, so I will try thinking about it like you have described always good to try new ways of thinking about the same thing not only for ones own jumping or for when things aren't going so good but also the key to good coaching is saying the same thing enough different ways so that each athlete will get what you are saying, So thanks for another arrow for the old quiver.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:21 am

Robert schmitt wrote:spend a lot of time doing drills and vaulting from a two and three left approach. Work on technique. I having more fun jumping from a four left approach than anything. I can take a ton of jumps, I'm not running fast enough to pull anything, I'm not pushing my limits, and in the four years I've been vaulting again I've increased my four step pr from 12' to 14'6".

Just increased my four step pr by an 1" to 14'7" tonight after the meet. It actually didn't feel nearly as high as some of my 14' clearences in practice a motnh ago. Now if I can just jump that way from 6 lefts!!
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:48 am

Way to go Robert! Gives me something to look forward to.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”