2007 WA Random Track Articles

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:43 am

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNe ... 134680.cfm

High Schools: Variety is some athletes' specialty

Wednesday, May 02, 2007
PAUL VALENCIA Columbian staff writer

Despite reports to the contrary, three-sport athletes are not extinct. They are just harder to locate.

We always hear of specialization, the pressure to commit to one sport. Hey, this plan works for many every year. Scholarships are awarded for talented one-sport athletes.

But make no mistake. Specialization does not guarantee a scholarship. And more importantly, participating in a number of sports does not hinder an athlete's chance at a scholarship.

Still, the three-sport varsity athlete is fading.

So when we meet three, from the same school, who also happen to be the best of friends, well, that is a rare find.

Jill Jagelski has earned 11 varsity letters in her four years at Skyview, competing in volleyball, basketball, and track and field. It would have been a perfect 12-letters-in-12-seasons if not for an injured knee and her body telling her to take a break this spring before heading off to play college basketball.

Sarah Click has 10 varsity letters, with soccer, basketball, and tennis. So much for specialization, right? It's tennis, the sport she did not participate in until high school, that she will play in college next year.

Catherine Cloakey has nine letters, as a volleyball, basketball, and tennis player. She likely will not play intercollegiate sports, but she already has plans on being one of the best multi-sport intramural athletes at Central Washington.

"It's what I've always known," Click said. "I've grown up around sports."

All three, in fact, have been playing either on the same team or against each other in various sports since grade school. Jagelski played four sports in middle school. Cloakey played volleyball and was on a select soccer team during the same season her freshman year.

"We had the same childhood," Click said.

Together forever. That's a fun term we all remember, all have used. For these girls, it really rings true. Cloakey and Click cannot recall not being friends. These days, they finish each other's sentences.

Like this one, discussing their schedules surrounding sports throughout the school year:

"Occasionally, we'll have a week break ..." Click said.

"... and we don't know what to do," Cloakey concludes.

Time off. That's a funny one for these athletes.

Jagelski recalls being pressured to focus on one sport as a freshman. It never really occurred to her, though.

"You're never going to be able to experience the other sports when you are older," Jagelski said.

Jagelski's work ethic has paid off, too, by the way. She is headed to Carroll College in Helena, Mont., to play basketball.

Keeping busy has many advantages, as well.

"Three sports help you stay out of trouble, too," Cloakey said.

Not much idle time with a hectic schedule.

Options are another bonus for multi-sport athletes.

Click always figured she would play soccer in college, or maybe basketball. But it is the spring sport that she will play when she attends Linfield College in Oregon.

"I picked up tennis my freshman year, and I loved it," she said. "But I never really thought of not playing soccer or basketball."

Interestingly, Click and Cloakey's friendship helped lead them to tennis.

"Freshman year, after basketball season, she asked, 'You want to try tennis?'" Cloakey recalled. "I said, 'I'll try it if you try it.'"

Don't think for a minute that all these sports, all the time committed to practices and competitions, have hurt their academics. All three are strong students. Cloakey described Click, who has a 4.0 grade-point average and will be a pre-med student in college, as the smartest person she knows.

In other words, there are no excuses.

It is not wrong to specialize in a sport. It is only wrong to try to convince athletes that they have to specialize in order to get the most out of their talents.

Three gifted student-athletes at Skyview understand this.

"It makes your high school experience that much better," Click said.

"I loved it all," Cloakey said.

"You're only in high school once. You might as well make the best of it," Jagelski said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:50 am

http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/arti ... orts01.txt

Moses Lake rounding into postseason form
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 04:55:24 pm PDT
By Tony Vehrs
Herald staff writer

MOSES LAKE -- With several strong individual performances at their league meet Thursday in Wenatchee and at the Keith Jewett Invitational in Ellensburg over the weekend, the Moses Lake Chiefs' Track and Field team is entering the final stretch of the season in top form.

Currently carrying the flag for the Chiefs are throwers Tad Harman and Billy Matthews. The two, who both are among the Columbia Basin League's best in the discus and shot put, continue to push each other to better and better marks.

Harman, who has usually finished behind Matthews in the discus this season, beat his teammate at the Wenatchee meet by throwing the discus a personal-best 157-06. Not only did the throw give Harman the win in Wenatchee, it gave the Chiefs' junior the top mark in the discus in the CBL for the 2007 season.

Thanks to the efforts of Matthews, Harman's CBL-best discus mark would last all of 48 hours.

Saturday, at the Keith Jewett Invitational, Matthews reclaimed his supremacy in the discus with a throw of 157-10, a high-school personal best for Matthews and a new CBL season-high throw. While Harman tossed the discus an impressive 155-08 in Ellensburg, it was only good enough for second place behind Matthews.

"They are two competitive guys," said Moses Lake coach Nicki Weiland of Matthews and Harman. "With any good competitor, you try to stay on top. The next time out, you try to prove yourself."

Harman who's top event is the shot put, won that event Thursday in Wenatchee and Saturday in Ellensburg. At the Keith Jewett Invite, Harman set a personal-best in the shot with a throw of 50-11 3/4.

Another Moses Lake athlete making noise this spring is David Gilman, a freshman who has burst onto the scene to become one of the CBL's top sprinters.

"David Gilman is an up-and-coming sprinter for Moses Lake," said Weiland. "He's really fun to watch."

Gilman has helped Moses Lake in the absence of returning state champion Aaron Wafer, who missed several meets this season with minor injuries. While Wafer didn't compete for the Chiefs Thursday or Saturday, Weiland expects him to be ready to go for the CBL District Tournament, which will be held May 11 at Eisenhower High School in Yakima.

Two Lady Chiefs have been have been doing quite well for Moses Lake on the track, those being Ann Noyes and Kayla Chamberlain. Noyes, who missed time early in the season due to basketball commitments, is now back with the track team and making preparations for post-season action."She's improved on her long jump," said Weiland of Noyes, who won the long jump at the Wenatchee meet with a mark of 15-11 1/4.

Also a regular placer for the Lady Chiefs is Kayla Chamberlain, a sophomore who runs sprints and recently set a personal-best mark in the triple jump.

Moses Lake's final league meet of the season takes place today in Pasco at 3:30 p.m.

Team results:

Wenatchee 121, Moses Lake Girls 28

Richland 124, Moses Lake Girls 21

Individual Girls Results:

400 Dash - 2, Kayla Chamberlain, 63.20; 3, Ann Noyes, 63.27; 200 Dash - 3, Kayla Chamberlain, 27.63; 3200 Run - 4, Kristin Budiselich, 13:19.39; Triple Jump - 4, Ann Noyes, 32-10 1/4; Long Jump - 1, Ann Noyes, 15-11 1/4; Javelin - 2, Danielle Ordway, 85-02.

Team results:

Wenatchee 102, Moses Lake Boys 43

Richland 114, Moses Lake Boys 29

Individual Boys Results:

100 Dash - 2, David Gilman, 11.83; 4, Chris Richardson, 12.14; 4x100 Relay - 3, Moses Lake (Brandan Anderson, Tyler Harman, Chris Richardson, David Gilman) 46.22; 200 Dash - 3, David Gilman, 23.82; 3200 Run - 4, Daniel Jenkins, 11:02.12; Triple Jump - 3, Spencer Fackrell, 38-07; 4, Jordan Wilks, 36-06 1/2; Discus - 1, Tad Harman, 157-06; 2, Billy Matthews, 151-02; Shot Put - 1, Tad Harman, 50-01 3/4; 2, Billy Matthews, 46-11 3/4.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 am

http://www.theolympian.com/103/story/97451.html

43rd Shaner Invitational is tonight in Tumwater

The Olympian

One of South Sound's top high school track and field invitationals will take place tonight at Tumwater Stadium.

The 43rd Shaner Invitational is unique in that it the team champion is decided by the combined points of each school's boys and girls teams. There will be a 4A/3A team champion and a 2A team champion. The Shaner is the final tuneup before postseason competitions.

Schools attending are: Aberdeen, Black Hills, Capital, Chehalis, North Thurston, Olympia, River Ridge, Shelton, Timberline, Tumwater, Washington and Yelm. Olympia is the only 4A school.

Olympia is the defending 4A champ in girls and went 10-0 in dual meets this year. The Bears also won the Willamette and Shelton invitationals and took second at the Eason Invitational in Snohomish.

Field events start at 4 p.m., running events at 5 p.m.

One of the top individual events to watch is the girls pole vault where three of the better vaulters in the state will compete: Olympia's Kjersti Gedde, Black Hills' Heidi Dorling and Chehalis' Alexa Huestis. Gedde is the defending 4A state champion.

"That's a very competitive event right there," Olympia coach Cris Violette said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 pm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/314349_stars04.html

High school stars of the week
P-I STAFF

Max O'Donoghue-McDonald

SCHOOL: Seattle Prep

SPORT: Track and field

VITALS: Senior distance runner, UW recruit

WHAT HE DID: O'Donoghue-

McDonald won one of the fastest 3,200-meter races in a non-state championship meet on Saturday at the Shoreline Invitational. He edged Sehome's Jake Riley by less than a second with a state-best time of 8:59.73. Two others broke 9:10; no one else in the state has done so this year.

HOW HE DID IT: A pre-race strategy with Skyline's Matt Frerker consisting of switching off as leader every other lap through the first mile (4:31) enabled O'Donoghue-McDonald to break the vaunted 9-minute barrier. "It was the perfect setup for a fast time," said O'Donoghue-McDonald, the 2005 3A state champion in the event.

OTHERS CONSIDERED: Andy Chriscaden, Monroe (baseball); Stephone Jordan, Garfield (track and field); Kellen Kiilsgaard, Auburn (baseball); David Macey, Highline (baseball); Reid Martin, Kamiak (golf); Danny Oh, Jackson (baseball); Peter Santie, Evergreen (baseball).

Tiffany Tibbot

SCHOOL: Skyline

SPORT: Track and field

VITALS: Junior sprinter

WHAT SHE DID: Tibbot won the 100 (12.21 seconds) and 200 (24.78) at the Lake Washington Invitational for the second consecutive year. She added titles in the 400 and 800 relays. (In the 400 relay prelims, the 3A Spartans set a meet record with a time of 48.26.)

HOW SHE DID IT: In the 100, Tibbot had added motivation to beat the 3A state runner-up. "I've been racing against Charnay (Combs of Rainier Beach) since the seventh or eighth grade with junior Olympics," said Tibbot, who had three fourth-place finishes at the 4A state meet as a sophomore. Tibbot has the state's fastest time in the 200 and her PR of 12.15 in the 100 is second best.

OTHERS CONSIDERED: Dyneeca Adams, Rainier Beach (track and field); Jordan Birch, Monroe (fastpitch); Devin Brooks, Holy Names (track and field); Lindsey Fleishman, Kentridge (track and field); Felecia Harris, Kentlake (fastpitch); Jade Langston, Seattle Academy (track and field); Megan O'Connell, Skyline (track and field).

-- Darren Fessenden

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 08, 2007 3:57 pm

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNe ... 136274.cfm

Surprising discus champ set to take on role of favorite

Sunday, May 06, 2007
The Columbian

Battle Ground's Gabi Dixon was a district champion last year as a freshman, but her season did not end well.

After claiming the district shot put crown, Dixon stumbled at regionals and did not qualify for the state meet.

That is something she wants to change this spring.

"My goal is to go undefeated and get to state, and to win districts again," she said. "I didn't go to state last year. I won districts then went to regionals, and I didn't do very good at regionals, so I didn't go to state."

Dixon, who won last year's district title with a mark of 35 feet, 1 / 2 inches, threw 38 feet last week in a meet against Skyview and has not lost this season.

"She has the potential to be an outstanding shot and discus thrower in the next few years, and even in college," Battle Ground coach Kevin Donovan said. "Right now, she's a pretty good shot putter. She has the top throw in our league and one of the best in the region. Her discus isn't quite there yet because of technique. Once she perfects her technique more in shot and disc, she could be one of the best in the state. We look forward to her doing that."

Dixon said she surprised herself by winning last year's district title "because it was a 2- or 3-foot (personal record)," but has continued to improve while attending camps and clinics, and working with her coaches within and outside the Battle Ground program.

"There are people giving me different tips," she said. "They tell me basically the same things that coaches here tell me, but you work out more."

Dixon is not a typical student-athlete for a couple of reasons: She is homeschooled, and she competes in three sports.

She takes choir, physical education and sign language classes at Battle Ground, but her learning in other subjects happens at home.

"I take a few classes here and a few at home, so it's a pretty good transition," Dixon said. "I like it here and I like it at home. If somebody asked me to choose, I probably couldn't."

Donovan is impressed by the fact that Dixon also plays basketball and volleyball.

"She's a three-sport athlete, which is very rare these days," he said. "You don't find kids who want to do all three sports. She likes them all, and she's good at them all."

- Kurt Zimmer

Boys track and field

Long road to state - One down, three to go.

That's how the top contenders for the state meet in Pasco from the Class 3A Greater St. Helens League are feeling today after the completion of Friday's 3A GSHL district meet.

In an odd twist in its relationship with the West-Central district, 3A athletes have three tiers of qualifying meets before reaching state on May 25-26.

Friday's 3A GSHL meet in Kelso was the first step, with the top six finishers moving onto Saturday's sub-bidistrict meet in Sumner. There, 3A GSHL athletes will compete with athletes from the 3A South Puget Sound League for spots in the West Central bi-district meet in Tacoma in two weeks.

The top six athletes in each event in Sumner move onto the West Central, which will advance seven athletes in each event to state.

So, it's no wonder that athletes like Magaiva Herman of Hudson's Bay and Camas' Shane Geiger and Daniel Thompson were efficient in winning events on Friday.

Herman has been enjoying an outstanding season, posting the best marks at any classification this season in the long jump (24 feet) and triple jump (47-6 3 / 4 ).

Herman is well aware of the hazards of these qualifying meets. Last season, inexperience cost him a spot at state in the triple jump when he failed to make a legal jump in his three preliminary jumps at the West Central.

So Herman's focus Friday was on winning and moving on. He won the long jump at 22-9 and triple jump at 45-8.

It's been a record-setting season for Camas' Geiger and Thompson. But they weren't worried about records on Friday.

Geiger won the 1,600 in 4:34.4, about 15 seconds slower than his best time of the season. He also won the 3,200 in in 10:05.85, almost 50 seconds off his season's best mark.

Last week, Daniel Thompson broke his own school record in the pole vault, clearing 15-6 at the XO Invitational in Eugene, Ore., matching a state best this season.

But Friday, Thompson won by clearing 14-0.

All of these athletes are working on performing their best in three weeks in Pasco, while not losing sight of the hazards that could befall them in the next two weeks.

But as Camas coach Alisa Wise said, this is no time for excuses.

"We can't control what happens out there as coaches," Wise told the Camas-Washougal Post-Record. "We just tell the kids to go out and compete hard. That's what it takes to do well in these big meets. You just have to compete. Hard. Period."

- Tim Martinez

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:49 am

http://www.thenewstribune.com/548/story/53770.html

Chelsie Jorgensen

Puyallup track

She recently broke the Shelton Invitational record in the 800 with a time of 2 minutes, 14.88 seconds, bettering the previous record held by good friend Brittany Henderson of Prairie. The time was the second best in 4A this season, and the scary thing – at least for opponents – is that Jorgensen believes she can do better.

They say the 400 is the hardest race in track. How does it compare to the 800?

The 400 is way tougher. It’s a full-out sprint. In our relay, I do it and it’s a lot of fun, but I don’t think I’d like to run it in the open.

What’s the best part of track?

It’s short. It’s accurately measured and there’s no hills, not like cross-country.

If there was a Puyallup High Idol, what song would you perform?

I would sing “Fergaliciousâ€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:52 am

http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc ... 3054c.html

Hanford's Brockman has lofty goal in sight

This story was published Thursday, May 3rd, 2007

By Rene Ferran, Herald staff writer

Keefe Brockman and a few of his buddies are walking to Christ the King for the annual Sausage Fest.

It's a Thursday, garbage day in Richland, and every house has their green or gray can sitting on the curb.

One of Brockman's friends asks him if he can jump over one. An eighth-grader at the time, Brockman accepted the challenge.

"I didn't see there was another one behind it," he said, laughing. "I almost biffed it. I clipped the second one, but I saved the landing."

Fast forward four years. Brockman is still jumping over objects, only now instead of garbage cans, the Hanford senior has graduated to the high jump bar. He cleared a career-best 6 feet, 8 inches at a meet last month, and he has his sights set on even loftier heights.

"I'm trying to break the school record," Brockman said, referring to current Falcons jumps coach Kurt Kraemer's 7-foot jump in 1998 -- the only 7-foot clearance in area history.

Brockman has been the anchor of Hanford's jumping corps the past three years. He qualified for state in the long jump as a sophomore and in the high and triple jumps last year, placing fourth in the high jump by clearing 6-4.

This winter, he gave up basketball to concentrate on his jumping. He attended daily workouts at Richland High overseen by former Kennewick track standout Leo Slack, lifting weights and doing plyometrics.

Already, he's gone 4 inches higher in the high jump, leaped a career-best 44-2 1/2 in the triple jump, and later this month he'll sign a partial scholarship offer with Western Washington.

"It's been nice to go from being barely on the totem pole to being almost on top this year," he said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:53 am

http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc ... 3055c.html

Coaches prep tracksters for postseason

This story was published Thursday, May 3rd, 2007

By Rene Ferran, Herald staff writer

With today marking the finale of the league dual-meet season, it'll be interesting to see how coaches work their athletes as they ready for the start of the postseason next weekend.

To some coaches, the duals are more of a bother than anything else. They'd just as soon scrap the league season, or at least not score the meets, in order to use them as glorified training sessions.

Then there's Hanford coach Darren Crow, whose boys team travels to Ron Redden Field to take on host Kamiakin and West Valley with the CBL 3A title on the line.

"It's a long season. Yes, invites are nice, but they're extras to pick up ribbons and medals," he said. "To me, it's your league, the people you compete against all year. It's about who's the best team, who's got the most depth. And it's the trophy. The league trophy is huge."

Ki-Be coach Jim Perry saw his boys team win its sixth straight SCAC East dual-meet title last week, while the girls made it a clean sweep of league honors. He noted how the streak has helped him recruit athletes to the program.

The CBL 4A titles are on the line at Davis, where Richland and Walla Walla are unbeaten in both boys and girls duals, with Wenatchee's girls boasting only one defeat. Southridge's girls beat their two toughest foes last week and need only to beat Kennewick and Sunnyside today to wrap up the CBL 3A title.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:58 am

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/05/ ... ook001.cfm

Everett Axel Stanovsky has miles to go

What did you do the summer after your freshman year of high school? Odds are it was much less imposing than what Axel Stanovsky attempted.

Stanovsky, now a senior at Everett High School, vowed to run 1,000 miles between the end of his frosh year and the ensuing school year. He nearly did it, too. His final mileage tally was 940, the equivalent of nearly three dozen 26.2-mile marathons.

"After I ran that much," said Stanovsky, "I kind of knew I was in it for the long haul. It just kind of became most of my life."

After he wraps up his senior prep season later this month, the Everett standout's life will include a new running-related chapter that takes him from one coast to the other.

Stanovsky celebrated his acceptance of a partial athletic scholarship to the College of William & Mary May 1 during a brief ceremony at Everett High. He was joined by about a dozen people, including his father, Clint Stanovsky, Everett running coach Bruce Overstreet, Everett athletic director Jo Levin and several friends and teachers.

The distance runner received a 10-percent scholarship to compete for the track and cross country teams at W & M, based in Williamsburg, Va. Stanovsky said if he reaches a reasonable performance goal, his scholarship will increase to 30 or 40 percent after his freshman year.

Stanovsky, a gifted 3,200- and 1,600-meter runner, also considered Dartmouth but picked W & M because of its athletes, coaches and training philosophy.

Before embarking on his remarkable 1,000-mile quest in 2004, Stanovsky ran the 3,200 in nine minutes, 32 seconds - then the ninth-fastest time by a freshman in state history. Despite some injury and illness setbacks, he has qualified for the state track championships three times (once as an alternate) and is a two-time state cross country participant.

Stanovsky is a key member of an Everett team that hopes to challenge Lake Stevens for the Wesco North championship this week. The two-day North meet is Wednesday and Friday at Lake Stevens High. The South meet is set for the same days at Goddard Stadium.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 09, 2007 3:09 am

http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/sp/288834178065928

Klickitat's Davis is an army of one
By PAUL SHUGAR
YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

ANDY SAWYER/Yakima Herald-Republic

Aryn Davis of Klickitat stretches out before a brief track practice after school. Davis is the lone girl on the high school track team, which practices on a grass field. Davis will attend West Point as part of the Class of 2011.
KLICKITAT â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 09, 2007 3:12 am

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Arc ... p_docnum=8

2B, 1B track on their own

Change of plans for Class 2B and 1B track and field and it's not great news.

District 6 (North Central B) has backed out of their former regional arrangement with the Greater Columbia B and that will leave the GCB with single state berths in 2B and 1B.

The district meets will be held in conjunction at Zaepfel Stadium on May 18.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 09, 2007 3:17 am

http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/sp_preps/ ... 17,00.html

High School Spring Postseason: Hill Pulls Her Quad at League Meet
TRACK AND FIELD | The Bremerton junior wins four events at the Olympic League championships.

By George Edgar, For the Kitsap Sun
May 6, 2007

BREMERTON

Jacki Hill could have been studying or playing soccer Saturday. Instead, she was running and winning.

The Bremerton High junior collected four titles at the Olympic League track and field championships Saturday at Bremerton’s Memorial Stadium. Hill won the 100, 200, 400 and anchored the Knights’ 400 relay team. And she’s aiming for quicker times as the postseason continues.

"I want to better in the 400 after today, knowing what I need to do in that," Hill said. "I need to start off quicker; I have the energy at the end. I need to push all the way through."

Hill ran the 400 in 59.48 seconds, the only runner in the finals to go under 60 seconds. She also won the 100 in 12.66, and led a 1-2 finish with teammate Christina Lawrence in the 200, winning in 26.09. In the 400 relay, Hill was the anchor, but Lawrence had put the race away on a blistering second leg that left the others in her wake.

"She did so good," Hill said. "We all had perfect handoffs."

Hill was supposed to have been taking the SATs yesterday, as well as playing soccer with her select team, the Tracyton Strikers. But the Olympic League championships took priority over the SATs and soccer.

It has been a busy year for Hill. In addition to track and field, she has played soccer in the fall and basketball in the winter. She missed part of the track season when she went with her school choir to London, but she worked hard to get back in shape when she returned.

She looks to be running faster next Saturday at the Olympic League Class 3A sub-district meet at North Mason High School.

"Next week, I want to get down to 57 seconds (in the 400)," Hill said. "I’ve been consistently running 59 seconds."

Peninsula won the boys team title with 156.5 points over second-place Olympic. Sequim won the girls title with 167 points.

Port Townsend sophomore Quinton Decker added two more titles, winning the 1,600 and 800 in personal-best times. He won the 3,200 on Thursday in a school-record time. He also ran the anchor leg in the 1,600, but PT finished in last place.

Decker had two words to sum up his day: "I’m exhausted."

In the 1,600, Decker took the lead at the 200-meter mark and won in 4:27.93, nearly seven seconds ahead of the field. An hour later, Decker won the 800 in 2:02.60.

"It was kind of surprising, coming back strong in the 800 after the 1,600," PT coach Kevin Sanford said. "But his aerobic training is pretty good. We try to simulate race conditions in practice. He’s got natural ability too; his simulation of oxygen works good for him.

"He works hard consistently day after day," Sanford added. "You can see that when he crosses the finish line."

Klahowya’s Sam Rucker won the 400 in a season-best 49.92 seconds, but he found himself in a loaded field in the 200. Rucker, Peninsula’s Jack Holley, Bremerton’s Alex Griffin and Olympic’s Brandon Fisher formed a tight pack in the first 100 meters. Holley led with 25 meters to go, but Rucker turned on the jets and passed him, winning in 22.20. Holley came in second at 22.32, Griffin was third in 22.51, and Fisher fourth in 23.08.

"I just got tired in that 200," Rucker said. "These guys are fast; they are the best of the best; I think I needed to be pushed."

Griffin won the 100 in another close race, winning in 11.08 seconds, edging Holley by .02 seconds.

Vic Chatman of Olympic doubled up in the hurdles. Chatman won the 110 hurdles in 15.38, edging out Port Angeles’ Kyle Acheson by a tenth of a second. He then won the 300 hurdles in 41.27 seconds.

"I was real pleased with his hurdling today," said Olympic coach Greg Chapman. "He’s had a little bit of a hamstring problem, but it’s all healed now."

The best finish of the day came in the boys’ 1,600 relay. Peninsula anchor runner Andy O’Brien caught Bremerton’s Tyler Sechrest in the final 20 meters and helped the Seahawks win in 3:32.75. Bremerton came in second in 3:33.23.

Return to “Washington”