WA Schools with bad pole vault facilities

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

WA Schools with bad pole vault facilities

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 am

I stopped by Mariner last Thursday to watch the Kamiak/Shorecrest meet.

The facility there is not bad, but the pit is just too small to accomodate better vaulters. Sean bottomed out twice! He is about 165-170 pounds, and was bottoming out at his opening height of 14 feet.

What other facilities in the state have pits that are too small for bigger/better vaulters, or lippy boxes, or other flaws that would be useful to know ahead of time?

Our pits at King's are fixed now.

I know Matt Phillips bottomed out on Shoreline's pits a few years ago (he was probably 180-190+ and going 17'+) but I haven't had any trouble at the all-comers meets the last few summers.

cougcoach
PV Newbie

Unread postby cougcoach » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:30 am

Shorelines have always been bad and to my knowledge have not been updated other than the retro fit a couple years ago. That means the pit is over 11 years old. Bothells pit is wearing out quickly. The SW Complex at Chief Sealth is thin and you bottom out as well as the facility at rainier beach.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:42 am

We had JOs at Chief Sealth and 3 kids bottomed out. I know Sean is a bigger kid, but Tobin and Brandon from Snohomish are not! They might move regionals to West Seattle.

I hear Ingraham's pits are not legal. They bought pit extensions and then never unwrapped them, so they are worthless.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:12 am

Becca-

You probably know this already but upon inspection of the vaulting pits this afternoon, under absolutely no circumstances should vaulters be allowed to compete or even practice at Ingraham.

Pits were not covered properly over the winter; the middle pad is compressed beyond normal due to rainwater; the left pad has a major tear; and there is water damage to the other pads - and we have not addressed the external coverings of the standards!

Pallets were not used between the pads and the track-not pretty!

Thought I would pass this along!

PM

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Our mats (Peninsula) are in really bad shape. They are huge, but about 16-17 years old. the front buns are still solid, and the middle back pad is still usable but the outer edges have broken down pretty bad. We supplement those with other gymnastics mats and have our pits up on tires, so I'm OK with using them, but they've been in that state ever since I started coaching there in 2003.

The good news is that the AD confirmed that we are getting new mats next year!
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 pm

cougcoach wrote:Shorelines have always been bad and to my knowledge have not been updated other than the retro fit a couple years ago. That means the pit is over 11 years old. Bothells pit is wearing out quickly. The SW Complex at Chief Sealth is thin and you bottom out as well as the facility at rainier beach.

I hear Shoreline Stadium got new pits, Shorecrest got their old ones.

Chief Sealth and Rainier Beach have the exact same model of pit and they both are woefully inadequate for any decent vaulters.

I am glad Ballard and Roosevelt are in Kingco now so that they don't have to vault at those horrible facilities.

Return to “Washington”