Jeremy Scully MURDERED - McBride plead down to 23 years

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:05 pm

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/18433564.html

Police question, search home of dead coach's mistress, her husband

Jeremy Scully

Story Published: Apr 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM PDT
Story Updated: Apr 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM PDT
By KOMO Staff
SKAGIT COUNTY, Wash. -- Detectives said they have interviewed several persons of interest in the murder of Ferndale High School track coach Jeremy Scully, and they do not believe Scully's death was the result of a random crime.

Scully, 38, disappeared while driving from his Bellingham apartment to a friend's house in Alger. Investigators confirmed on Wednesday that the body found near his abandoned car was that of Scully.

Following his disappearance, a married woman who said she was having an affair with Scully contacted police and directed them to his apartment. The woman said she did not hear from Scully during the day on Friday, which was very unusual.

When she called home to let her husband know that she was headed home from work, he asked her to pick him up at the Squires Lake Trailhead off of Old Highway 99 near the Whatcom County line.

According to police documents, the woman later learned her husband had invited Scully to their home to work on the roof on the day he disappeared. The man told police he had communicated with Scully via messages on the Internet.

Police on Wednesday searched the home of the woman and found boxes of ammo for the several guns her husband said he owned, as well as a small bag of marijuana. Police seized the items as well and the computers inside the home.

Bellingham police contacted the couple on Sunday and during questioning, the husband alluded to the fact that Scully was dead, the documents said.

Sheriff Will Reichardt said Sully's body was found Sunday by hikers in a rugged area of Blanchard Mountain, some 200 yards off the main road through thick underbrush. The hikers reported the discovery to a Whatcom County sheriff's deputy who was in the area searching for Scully.

Scully's car was found abandoned on Interstate 5 near Lake Samish, about 8 miles from where the body was located.

An autopsy showed Scully died of a gunshot wound to the head.

On Tuesday, detectives revealed that Scully belonged to a Web site whose members meet for sex. Deputies said Scully's activities on the site AdultFriendFinder.com may or may not be related to his disappearance.

Scully coached pole vault at Ferndale High School for eight years. He also worked as a substitute teacher at the school and helped coach pole vaulting at Western Washington University.

"I've coached track for 21 years and I've never worked with somebody so passionate," Ferndale High track coach Ted Genger said. "I've never worked with someone so responsible. He was always the first coach to get there and the last coach to leave, day in and day out."

Silence blanketed the track at the school on Wednesday after investigators confirmed the body as Scully.

"I look over there and I keep waiting to see Jeremy over there," said Genger.

Pole vaulter Dylan Eastwood remembers the intensity over their victory the day before Scully disappeared.

"We won the meet and he was pretty pumped up about that. I've never seen Mr. Scully more pumped up than that," he said.

The news of Scully's membership on an adult sex Web site has stirred up mixed emotions among those mourning his death.

"First it was hard to consume. Now it's really weird, just shocking," said student Ashley Crape.

"I separate the two pieces," said Genger. "The person who was here every day in the spring working with the kids -- that's who we saw."

"He had a mantra -- 'every jump is an opportunity.' And that is always going to stick with me," said Crape.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:07 pm

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/256/story/395981.html

PUBLIC SAFETY
Police have "persons of interest" in Ferndale coach murder
Alger-area home searched in investigation

COURTESY
Jeremy Scully, 38, an assistant track coach at Ferndale High School and Western Washington University, was reported missing April 25, 2008.

RELATED STORIES
Still no ID for body found on Blanchard

CALEB HEERINGA
THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

BELLINGHAM — Police announced this afternoon that they have several "persons of interest" in the murder of Ferndale High School track coach Jeremy Scully.

Scully's body was found Sunday on Blanchard Mountain, about 50 feet down an embankment on the road on the way to Samish Overlook. He had died of a gunshot wound to the head. Skagit County Sheriff's Office chief criminal deputy Will Reichert said it appears that Scully was killed in the area where he was found.

Reichert said it is too early in the investigation to rule out anything involving Scully's death, but said the evidence indicates that Scully was killed by someone he knew. The murder does not appear to be a random crime.

Reichert also confirmed that police are investigating whether Scully's involvement in adult networking web site AdultFriendFinder.com had something to do with the murder.

"We look into all aspects we can of someone's life," Reichert said. "That was certainly a part of his life."

Skagit County detectives served a search warrant at the Alger-area home of Kenneth and Venessa McBride on the 2400 block of Old Highway 99 on Sunday, according to Skagit County District Court documents. They seized several firearms, including rifles and shotguns, ammunition, two computers, paperwork and a small bag of marijuana.

Venessa McBride talked to The Bellingham Herald Saturday after Scully went missing, saying that he was last seen leaving his apartment Thursday morning en route to Alger to help Kenneth McBride fix the couple's roof.

According a transcript of a telephone conversation between a Skagit County Sheriff's deputy and judge establishing probable cause for the search, Venessa McBride admitted to Bellingham Police detectives that she had been having an affair with Scully.

Venessa McBride told police that after getting off work at around 2 p.m. Thursday, her husband had called and asked Venessa to pick him up near the Squires Lake Trailhead, located on Old Highway 99 North near the Whatcom County line. She picked up Kenneth about a half a mile away from the trailhead, according to the court documents. Scully's Nissan Sentra was found on East Lake Samish Drive, within a mile or two of the Squires Lake Trailhead.

Venessa McBride said that when she arrived home, no work had been done on the roof and there was no sign of Scully, according to the documents.

Knowing that the McBrides were the last people to have contact with Scully, Bellingham Police interviewed them after the body was found on Sunday. During the interview, Kenneth McBride alluded to police that Scully was dead, according to the documents.

Reichert declined to confirm whether the McBrides were the "people of interest" that detectives have identified.

Scully's family released a statement Wednesday through California-based attorney Anthony Raimondo thanking law enforcement and Jeremy's friends for their support.

"Jeremy was loved by all those whose lives he touched," the family said in the statement. "His family appreciates the kind thoughts that have been expressed by Jeremy's friends, students, colleagues and the athletes that he coached. Their fond recollections of Jeremy are a great comfort to his family in this difficult time."

Scully was a substitute teacher in the Ferndale School District and also helped coach pole vaulters at Ferndale, Western Washington University and for Bellingham Parks and Recreation.

At Ferndale High School, Scully's pole vaulters and fellow coaches remembered him as devoted to and supportive of his student athletes.

"I really regret not saying thanks," junior pole vaulter Megan Bezona said. "If I could say one thing it would be thank you ... We took him for granted."

Athletic director Vic Randall said Scully's enthusiasm for the sport of pole vaulting rubbed off on his students.

"He had a passion for pole vaulting," Randall said. "He always had a smile on his face (when he was coaching) ... and when the kids saw that smile on his face, they got that passion too."

Today's track meet at Civic Stadium began with a moment of silence. Squalicum High School has put up a banner for the Ferndale team reading "We are thinking of you."

Scully had been doing an extended substitution in two applied math classes since approximately January, principal Dawn Fairchild said.

"He always stuck up for the underdog," Fairchild said.

Randall said one of Scully's students had told him they were impressed by how Scully knew everyone in the class's name by the first day.

Fairchild said students' grief has turned into questions about what happened.

"They're trying to put together the pieces, because it seems like such a senseless death," Fairchild said. "He's a great guy. I don't know why anyone would want to hurt him."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:04 am

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/255/story/396845.html

PUBLIC SAFETY
Police question couple in Ferndale coach’s death
Shooting wasintentional, police believe

DANNY GAWLOWSKI THE BELLINGHAM HERALD
Reporters from KOMO TV ask questions Wednesday of Ferndale High School students Megan Bezona, center right, and Dylan Eastwood, far right, as reporters from KIRO TV wait behind them during a press conference organized by the school in response to the death of Jeremy Scully, an assistant track coach at Ferndale.

CALEB HEERINGA
THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

Police announced Wednesday that they have several “persons of interestâ€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:04 am

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/sports/ ... 96880.html

PREP TRACK AND FIELD
PREP TRACK: Pole vaulters at Ferndale, WWU cope with loss of an assistant coach

DANNY GAWLOWSKI THE BELLINGHAM HERALD
Ferndale pole vaulters Ashley Crape, left, and Zoey Dingle, center, try to keep warm as they wait for their turn to compete along with pole vault coach Brian Talley during a meet Wednesday. Talley will be working with the team for the rest of the season, taking the role that was vacated after the recent death of Jeremy Scully.

DAVID RASBACH
THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

There was never any doubt about the best way for the Ferndale track and field team to honor a coach who loved pole vaulting so much — keep vaulting.

That’s exactly what the Golden Eagles did Wednesday afternoon at Civic Stadium only hours after the Skagit County Sheriff’s department confirmed that a body found Sunday on Blanchard Mountain was that of Ferndale substitute teacher and pole vaulting coach Jeremy Scully.

“Mr. Scully would have wanted us to vault,â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:07 am

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... le01m.html

Ferndale track coach's slaying investigated
By Sara Jean Green
Seattle Times staff reporter

Ferndale High School coach Jeremy Scully could recite from memory the height each of his students cleared in various pole-vaulting competitions, and he knew all their best-ever "flights" over the bar.

Scully was so dependable, so dedicated to the athletes at the Whatcom County school that his fellow track coaches knew something was terribly wrong last Thursday when Scully didn't show up for a track meet. They quickly filed a missing-person's report.

On Sunday, hikers found his body off a remote path on Blanchard Mountain in northern Skagit County. He had been shot in the head.

Now Skagit County sheriff's detectives are trying to unravel the mystery behind their first homicide this year. They acknowledged this week they are looking into Scully's use of a Web site for personal ads aimed at sex and swingers. But they also say it's too early to say whether the popular bachelor's death might have something to do with someone he met online.

"It could ultimately prove to be a significant factor ... or no factor at all," Skagit County Chief Criminal Deputy Will Reichardt said.

Still, Scully's death doesn't appear random, and detectives said there are several "persons of interest" who are cooperating with police.

Scully, 38, was last seen alive the morning of April 24, hours before that missed track meet. His car was found Saturday at Lake Samish Park in Bellingham, the keys still in the ignition and the driver's door ajar.

On Sunday, three men hiking on Blanchard Mountain, about seven miles from where Scully's car was found, noticed a tarpaulin about 100 yards off a forest road, Reichardt said. They followed a deer trail past the tarp and found his body.

Reichardt said police believe Scully was slain there, but he declined to elaborate. He said evidence has been sent to a state crime lab.

Scully was born in Pasadena, Calif., and in 1976 moved with his family to Coos Bay, Ore., where he graduated from Marshfield High School in 1988, according to a friend of his family.

He earned a sociology degree from the University of Oregon in Eugene in 1993 and then worked in the computer industry before moving to Bellingham, where he earned his teaching degree at Western Washington University in 2003. He worked as a substitute teacher and coach at Ferndale High School and also volunteered as a coach at Western.

Ferndale High students are "shocked and stunned" by Scully's slaying, said principal Dawn Fairchild.

"He was friendly, outgoing and extremely dependable," she said.

"He was very well-rounded, and that's why he could take on any assignment and do a good job."

Scully loved ethnic food and outdoor adventures, said Robbin Goldsby of DuPont, Pierce County, who dated Scully after meeting him online.

The couple went scuba diving, white-water rafting and paragliding — even though Scully was afraid of heights.

Above all else, Scully was passionate about pole vaulting.

"He never, never missed a track meet — he'd drive through a snowstorm to get to a meet," Goldsby said. "He just wanted to help other people succeed in the sport and he dearly loved it."

VLR
PV Newbie

Jeremy's Cell

Unread postby VLR » Fri May 02, 2008 1:46 am

They turned off his cell phone today...I will never be able to hear his voice again...rest in peace Jeremy. :(

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:44 pm

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/397954.html

No arrests yet in pole vault coach’s death

CALEB HEERINGA
THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

Police released few new details Thursday regarding the slaying of local track coach Jeremy Scully.

Hikers found Scully’s body on Sunday down an embankment on the road to Samish Overlook on Blanchard Mountain.

The 38-year-old pole vaulting coach for Ferndale High School, Western Washington University and Bellingham Parks and Recreation had been shot in the head.

The Skagit County Sheriff’s Office searched the Alger-area home of Kenneth and Venessa McBride for a second time Thursday. Scully was on his way to the home when he disappeared last week.

Police would not confirm whether the McBrides were the “persons of interestâ€

VLR
PV Newbie

Jeremy's Case

Unread postby VLR » Fri May 02, 2008 7:03 pm

Police search apartment of slain track coach
Arrests not imminent, police say
UPDATED AT 1:58 P.M.
BELLINGHAM -- Police served a search warrant at the home of a local track coach who was found shot to death on Blanchard Mountain on Sunday.
Jeremy Scully, 38, was last seen en route to the home of Kenneth and Venessa McBride in the Alger area Thursday morning. Police have identified "persons of interest" in the case, but said they did not expect to make arrests anytime soon.
Skagit County Sheriff's Office chief criminal deputy Will Reichert said several firearms were among the items seized from Scully's Halleck Street apartment this morning. He declined to elaborate on what police were looking for during the search.
Reichert also said that police continue to search for the possible murder weapon in the areas around East Lake Samish Drive, where Scully's car was found abandoned, and near Samish Overlook, where Scully's body was found.
Police have seized a handful of firearms from the home of both Scully and the McBrides and are awaiting the results of ballistics tests to determine what type of firearm was used in the shooting.
"We potentially have the murder weapon now and we don't know it," Reichert said. "But we are still searching (those areas), because it's possible that we don't have it."

VLR
PV Newbie

Lake Samish

Unread postby VLR » Sun May 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Not sure if it has anything to do with Jeremy's (Scully's) case...

May 3 @ 4:25 PM
I was on my way to pick up my neice at work in Bellingham. The police were searching the lake/bank where they found Jeremy’s car.

Sebes
PV Whiz

FOX NEWS

Unread postby Sebes » Mon May 05, 2008 10:57 pm

I was flipping through the channels and saw Fox News covering this story. This thing is heating up nationally.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi--

I want to write first to tell you how much your posts have meant to me and my family. We miss Jeremy terribly.  Your posts, and your kind words have been a great comfort to us.

Jeremy's memorial service will be held May 17th, at 10:00 a.m. at the St. Charles church in Poulsbo. He will be buried in a cemetary in Poulsbo. The service will be open, and I wasn't sure how to post on the Pole Vault Power site to reach his friends and colleagues.  I'm going to try to do that this afternoon, but it also would be a great help if you could please let his friends and colleagues know when the service will be held.

Thank you so much.

Jennifer Raimondo

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Dick Henrie wrote:We are going to be hosting a celebration of Jeremys life at civic field on
May 18 from 2-5pm It will be a potluck barbaque with live music ,
polevaulting and times of sharing what his life means to us. It will be
open to anyone who wants to come not just vaulters. I will get you more
information.

Return to “Washington”