Memories of Scully

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:18 pm

I didn't know Scully all that well--having vaulted throughout the PNW in high school, I definitely saw him all over the place. In fact, I vaulted up at Western frequently during the summers, so I know for a fact I saw him there.

When I helped Becca out with a meet at King's not too long ago, I found myself running the pv competition right along side Scully. In addition to taking care of the event, we spent alot of the time talking about vaulting and coaching strategies, in addition to talking about potential career opportunities. I, like Scully, have found a real love in coaching the vault (not to mention participating in it!), but I don't have a job that allows me to become all that involved. Scully spent a major portion of that track meet encouraging me to go into teaching, as he had, and talking to me about what my different options were in getting there.

He showed me that he had a true love and dedication, not just to the sport, but to all of those involved--he was willing to help me in whatever way possible so I could stay involved. Scully proved to me that day that he was an extremely caring and helpful individual--I can't thank him enough for those four short hours. For stepping up and being a real mentor, even for just the day--giving me guidance and support, not to mention helping every vaulter who was on that runway.

Thank you Scully, for blessing so many of us.
"taste the happy, michael"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:34 pm

There were so many great stories shared on Saturday and Sunday, I wish I could type all of them up. I will pass along this one from the principal of Ferndale HS:

There was a girl who was sitting in the hallway crying after the news of Scully's death had been announced. The principal went over to talk to her. Scully had been a long-term sub in a math class this girl had. The girl said that all year these kids had been picking on her in class and none of the other teachers had been willing to do anything about it. Scully stood up for her and made the other kids stop picking on her, and for the first time she was actually able to enjoy math class.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Hello,

It was nice meeting you both this weekend. The pole vault/track community has been such a shinning light in our sorrow. As my cousin said yesterday at the celebration, "Thank you for loving (Jeremy), he loved you."

Here's the graphic I told you about. Originally I had wanted to make T-shirts for the vaulters but time and money didn't allow. I hope you all will enjoy the sentiment. If you are interested in using it in other ways and need a different size or format, let me know. I'll see what I can do. Please feel free to distribute at will in memory of "Scully."

For fun I'm pasting in the lyrics of "Joy to the World" - the song Jeremy got the bullfrog nickname from. He used to sing this song when he was a little kid. It also seems to go well with the whole jumping theme.

May Jeremy continue to inspire you all.

With warm regards,
Rebecca, Jeremy's cousin

Artist: Three Dog Night
Song: Joy To The World

Jeremiah was a bullfrog
Was a good friend of mine
I never understood a single word he said
But I helped him a-drink his wine
And he always had some mighty fine wine
Singin'...

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls now
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
Joy to you and me

If I were the king of the world
Tell you what I'd do
I'd throw away the cars and the bars and the war
Make sweet love to you
Sing it now...

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to you and me

You know I love the ladies
Love to have my fun
I'm a high life flyer and a rainbow rider
A straight shootin' son-of-a-gun
I said a straight shootin' son-of-a-gun

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to you and me

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to you and me

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to the world
Joy to you and me

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls now
Joy to you and me

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to you and me

I wanna tell you
Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to you and me

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to you and me

(fading)
Joy to the world
All the boys and girls

sadlady
PV Newbie

Re: Memories of Scully

Unread postby sadlady » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:37 pm

I just found out about Jeremy's death a few days ago. I cannot believe this happened to him. We dated for quite a long time in high school and he was a very special person to me. I cannot even describe how sad I am right now.

I have so many memories of him. We went to both proms together, were walking partners at graduation. We shared so much when we were so young. We lost touch after college, but I always thought we would see each other again someday. I just cannot believe he is gone.

Reading everyone's memories on here brought me back 20 some years ago to remember going to Jeremy's high school track meets. He had such a love of pole vaulting that I am not at all surprised that he was still so active in the sport.

I am so happy that he found such a wonderful community of people who loved him. I am quite certain you all brought him great joy. Thank you for caring about him.

Return to “Washington”