Lakewood's Hulslander shakes off injury to set record (WA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Lakewood's Hulslander shakes off injury to set record (WA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:28 pm

http://heraldnet.com/article/20090521/S ... 19890/1007

PREP TRACK: Lakewood's Hulslander shakes off injury to set pole vault record

By Alex Bosworth
Herald Writer

BELLINGHAM -- Hurt all week, Lakewood's Spencer Hulslander wasn't sure he would be able to clear the minimum height requirement for a pole vault.

In the end, Hulslander shook off a groin injury and tied the 2A District 1 meet record with a vault of 14 feet.

How did the Lakewood senior react to news he had tied the meet record? By trying to clear more than 15 feet on his next jump. Even though he came up short, it's clear Hulslander is setting his sights high.

Hulslander placed first in the pole vault, securing an invitation to state along the way, in the first day of the 2A District 1 track and field championships at Civic Stadium. The meet is a two-day event that will finish on Friday.

"It's way better than anything I could have hoped for," said Hulslander, who entered the meet as the state's No. 2 vaulter behind Ephrata High School's Wes Chamberlain. "I'm super excited."

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Re: Lakewood's Hulslander shakes off injury to set record (WA)

Unread postby science geek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:07 pm

I know that the record is listed as 14' 0", but Ned Flynn jumped 14' 6" at the district 1 meet in 2008, for some reason the meet record had not been updated.....fyi (sorry Spencer)

Return to “Washington”