The papers this weekend

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

The papers this weekend

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 02, 2004 9:59 pm

OK somebody wasn't putting much effort into the briefs about the meets this weekend.

King's sophomore Michael Davis set a meet record with a throw of 202-6 in the javelin, breaking the old mark of 200-10 set by Ben Hayes of Davis (Yakima) in 1991. Davis, who is 5-8, 150 pounds, took up the event last year after breaking his ankle while pole vaulting. He said he hopes to throw 220 feet by the end of the year.

OK I'd have to call Rod to double check on this, but I am pretty sure he never broke his ankle pole vaulting last year. I got back home right after the league meets last year and Michael pole vaulted 9-0 or so at the tri-district meet and placed in the top 8. Heh the coaches decided he should probably just stick with the jav... I think they made the right choice seeing as he is ranked #2 in the country right now ;)

Doria Holbrook of Yakima's Eisenhower High, the state leader in the pole vault at 12-6 and last year's Lake Washington champion, injured her hand when her pole broke during warmups and failed to take an official jump. Allie Moore of Sehome won with a personal-best vault of 11-3.

Doria - I hope your hand is OK.

As for AlliMoore, her PR is 12-2. 11-3 was just a season best.

Return to “Washington”