Gymnast Pole Vaulters

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Gymnast Pole Vaulters

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 05, 2004 7:35 pm

http://www.columbian.com/05052004/sports/141586.html

Gymnasts still vaulting Vaulting in gymnastics is not exactly the same thing as pole vaulting, but there seems to be a connection.

Stevenson's Brianna Nielsen and Cara Slusher of Heritage, two of The Columbian's All-Region gymnasts this winter, are competing in that other type of vaulting this spring.

Slusher, a two-time All-Region gymnast and a district all-around runner-up as a senior, describes herself as "definitely a gymnast" who competes in track and field "for fun."

Nielsen, who placed second at state last year in pole vault and fifth at state in floor exercise this winter as a senior, is hard-pressed to choose a favorite.

"I like them both," Nielsen said. "I couldn't ever decide, because they're so different."

Nielsen, twice this spring named best female athlete at invitational meets, leads The Columbian's list of area track bests for all classifications with a pole vault of 9 feet, 6 inches. Her best was 10-0 at last year's state meet.

Slusher and Nielsen point to the same link between gymnastics and pole vaulting.

"Apparently, upper body strength is the reason why gymnasts are good at pole vaulting," Slusher said. "I think that's the way it works. Some of the positions that you're supposed to be going through are similar to some of the things in gymnastics. Mostly, I think it's just strength."

Nielsen said, "There's definitely a connection. Uneven bars help develop upper body strength and coordination. (Pole vault) came really easily to me. It's kind of similar. There are certain moves on (bars) that kind of resemble pole vault. It's mostly an upper body strength and coordination thing. It helps to run fast, too."

Nielsen does that.

While Slusher self-depriciatingly describes herself as "obviously not the best" at track with a pole vault best of 7-6, Nielsen has been named outstanding female athlete at two invitational meets this spring. In her first season running the 100-meter hurdles, she chopped more than a second off the school record.

She also runs on Woodland's 400- and 800-meter relays and competes in long jump and triple jump.

Competitors are limited to four events in a given meet. Nielsen expects to focus more on individual events as the season winds down toward the sub-district meet.

Slusher and Nielsen are not the only pair to double in the sports. Before a meet Tuesday against Evergreen at McKenzie Stadium, Slusher pointed out three teammates sophomore Nicole Craft and seniors Vanessa Davis and Amber Parker who are also gymnasts and pole vaulters.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Wed May 05, 2004 8:11 pm

from what ive observed, though i never did gymnastics, but from watchin other people, seems gymnastics contributes a lot more to body awareness and coordination with increases in strength contributing little to the vault with respect to the added coordination....

Return to “Washington”