Monica Anderson Article

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Monica Anderson Article

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 16, 2004 10:40 pm

http://www.thesunlink.com/redesign/2004 ... 127.shtml#

Up, up and away to district

• Bremerton's Monica Anderson wins the Narrows League pole vault title, and hopes that's just the beginning.

Nathan Joyce
Sun Staff

May 16, 2004

Monica Anderson, in the span of a season, has vaulted nearly to the top of the state rankings.
On a pole.

The Bremerton High senior won the pole vault title at the Narrows League track and field meet Saturday at Bremerton's Memorial Stadium.

Anderson's jump of 11 feet, which she has equalled just once this season, is one of the top marks in the state for the 4A classification, according to Washington Track Weekly.

Not bad for somebody who picked up the sports just last season. Anderson has improved 18 inches over last year's mark.

And it's earned her a spot on the Seattle Pacific University track team.

But that's becoming a family tradition. Her brother, Dominic, and her father, John, vaulted before her.

Her father is now an assistant coach at Bremerton, teaching his daughter. Her brother also jumped for a year at Seattle Pacific.

It was her father who encouraged her to turn out for the sport last year. His daughter had good body control, honed from a stint in gymnastics, and would be good at the sport, he said.

Turns out he was right.

Now, she'll be looking to add a district title to her league title next weekend at the Class 4A West Central District meet at Lincoln Bowl in Tacoma.

Then, it's on to state.

"I'm hoping to get in at least the top five," Anderson said.

Return to “Washington”