Matt Phillips to Vault at Edmonds, Wednesday, June 30th

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Matt Phillips to Vault at Edmonds, Wednesday, June 30th

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:47 pm

Matt Phillips to Vault at Edmonds, Wednesday, June 30th.

Former UW vaulter Matt Phillips will attempt to qualify for the Olympic Trials tomorrow at the Club Northwest All-Comers Meet at Edmonds District Stadium. Matt is currently ranked 24th nationally.

The top 24 ranked pole vaulters nationally will compete in Sacramento at the Olympics Trials in July. Matt could lose his 24th position as 2000 Olympic Silver Medalist Lawrence Johnson has not entered his season best mark yet. Additionally, there are about 20 other pole vaulters who are trying to improve their qualifying marks and make it into that top 24. Matt is hoping to improve his mark and stay in the top 24.

Matt needs all of the crowd support he can get! He has a season best of 18'1 3/4", and a lifetime best of 18'6 1/2". If you are not busy, please try and make it out to support one of the nation's top vaulters. The competition starts at 6pm, but Matt will probably not be jumping before 8pm.

If you are competing tomorrow, please keep in mind that we need to run the most efficient competition possible in order for Matt to have enough time to jump. We will be starting promptly at 6:00pm, so please arrive early to get your warm up jumps in. The bar will be moving up in 9" increments, and we will most likely be running a split bar, meaning the bar will start at both 7' and 11'.

For more information on the CNW All-Comers meets, go to http://www.cnw.org/CNW_allcomers_04.htm If you have any questions about tomorrow's pole vault competition you can email me becca@polevaultpower.com

I hope to see lots of you tomorrow!

Becca Gillespy
Pole Vault Power
http://www.polevaultpower.com/

mfs9
PV Newbie

Unread postby mfs9 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:14 am

I had to leave early today... I got to see him go 17 1

How high did he end up going?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:45 am

mfs9 wrote:I had to leave early today... I got to see him go 17 1

How high did he end up going?

He cleared 5.40 (17-8.50) by a lot.

He had some good tries at 5.61 (18-4.75). Well haha except his first... he had an awesome plant and takeoff, but as he was swinging through, his leg brushed on the pole by his top hand. He has the pole reverse wrapped and super sticky... his leg got stuck on the pole for a second and he had to bail! It was pretty funny :P

Return to “Washington”