Fall / Winter Vaulting in Seattle Area?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

elduderino
PV Newbie

Unread postby elduderino » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:35 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of an indoor place to vault during the fall and winter months in Seattle? It would be great to be able to jump a couple nights a week and to meet some local vaulters. Dave

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:22 am

Pat Licari at UW has offered clinics the past few years. Assuming he does them again, those usually start up around November or so. I'll post when I find out the details for this year.

Dick Henrie in Bellingham usually has something going on, and Rick Baggett in Portland, Oregon has indoor vaulting.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:04 pm

Whatever happened to the Northwest vault center? seems like it was open for one season and went under.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:03 pm

achtungpv wrote:Whatever happened to the Northwest vault center? seems like it was open for one season and went under.

Two seasons of it's own faciity (sort of) and went under. Pat Licari (the UW coach) was helping coach there. He bought a bunch of the club poles and started up twice weekly clinics at UW.

browneyedgirl
PV Newbie

Unread postby browneyedgirl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:12 pm

from what I know to be true of the Nothwest center it was up and running for about 4 or 5 years helping kids all over the State, Becca being one that went every week. He would even go as far as trying to attend and loan poles to the kids for their own HS meets, and still does. Its really sad that it wasn't able to continue, but we should all be very thankful that we had it for as long as we did, it really helped many Washington State HS vaulters...just reminder, know all the facts of something before you speak. We all are working towards the same goal. :) Good luck jumping and thanks to some really good people

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:20 am

browneyedgirl wrote:from what I know to be true of the Nothwest center it was up and running for about 4 or 5 years helping kids all over the State, Becca being one that went every week. He would even go as far as trying to attend and loan poles to the kids for their own HS meets, and still does. Its really sad that it wasn't able to continue, but we should all be very thankful that we had it for as long as we did, it really helped many Washington State HS vaulters...just reminder, know all the facts of something before you speak. We all are working towards the same goal. :) Good luck jumping and thanks to some really good people

I did train there, and I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't.

I trained there fall 99/spring 00, and we trained indoors at a gymnastics club where we had to set up and tear down the pole vault stuff every practice. I don't know whether or not Steve trained indoors before that fall, but I know he was helping people before that point.

I left for college after that, but they moved into a new gymnastics facility where the pit and runway were always set up. They were there for 2 seasons: from fall 2000 to spring 2002.

Steve does still help people, but as far as I know not indoors. If that has changed, let me know!

cougar88
PV Newbie

Unread postby cougar88 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:47 pm

Who's Steve? Does anyone know if he still coaches in the fall and/or winter? That would be a huge help! I hope Pat at UW has those clinic again!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:31 am

I talked to Pat last weekend and he says he plans on starting the clinics up again in mid-November. He'll email me the info and I will post it here :)

Return to “Washington”