Hunter Gets a provisional

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Hunter Gets a provisional

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:08 am

Yay I am glad to see Hunter is back and jumping well :yes:

http://news.bellinghamherald.com/storie ... 7149.shtml

Western's Verner clears pole vault mark
TRACK AND FIELD: Three school records fall in season's first indoor meet.

Special to the Herald

SEATTLE -- Western Washington University's Hunter Verner reached the provisional national qualifying standard in winning the men's pole vault by clearing a school-record 15 feet, 7 inches at the University of Washington Indoor Track and Field meet Sunday at Dempsey Center.

Verner's mark bettered the national standard by 1 1/2 inches, broke the school record by 5 1/2 inches and was one-quarter inch off the Great Northwest Athletic Conference record.

Verner, a junior from Brentwood, Tenn., was one of three Vikings with school-record performances. Sophomore Sam Brancheau bettered his record in the men's mile with a time of 4:24.38, and senior Tammy Carlson broke her mark in the women's shot put (38-2).

"We knew that we were behind because of the weather," Western coach Pee Wee Halsell said, "but we'll be OK. And it's nice to have a provisional qualifier."

Carlson placed second in the shot put, as did Peter Geist in the men's high jump (6-6), Josh Freeman in the men's 60-meter hurdles (8.73), Andrea Kreft in the women's pole vault (10-11 3/4) and Tyler Thornbrue in the men's pole vault (14-5 1/4).

Finishing third was Kelly Perez in the women's pole vault (10-0), with Brancheau fourth in the mile. Kara Fischer placed fifth in the women's 400 (1:00.65), as did Freeman in the men's pole vault (13-11 1/4) and Telleria in the weight throw.

Western returns to Dempsey Center for the second UW meet on Sunday, Jan. 29.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:13 pm

Congrats to Hunter. I am suprised that the school recod was only 15'1.5" with the coaching and equipment they have. I've seen Hunter jump 15+ several times in practice over the years. I assumed that he had jumped mid 15' already in a meet.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:03 pm

The outdoor record is 15-7 and this is only our second year of indoor. Hunter did jump 16' in an all-comers and I've seen him jump a bit higher in practice.

Return to “Washington”