Track Articles (not PV related)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Track Articles (not PV related)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:15 pm

http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20 ... 9905.shtml

Capital thrower wins shot, discus

OLYMPIA -- Zack Midles looked like he was in mid-season form Saturday at the South Sound Throwers Showcase.

In the first meet of the year, the Capital senior won both the discus and shot put in the Olympia High School meet that drew 150 competitors. The annual meet is just for the shot put, discus and javelin.

Midles, who has accepted a track scholarship to the University of Washington, won the discus with a throw of 171 feet, a personal best. He won the shot put with a throw of 54-2.

"It was a good way for him to start," Capital coach Jerry Miller said. "Each throw was a little farther."

A steady rain fell throughout the competition.

"Considering the weather, he looked really good," Miller said. "He continued to improve in the shot. Each time he got up, he put it out there a little farther."

For winning, Midles was awarded a discus and shot put. He then gave them to Capital.

Olympia's Shannon Harvey won the shot put and discus in the girls competition. Her marks were not available.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:12 pm

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 7706&rfi=6

Dozens turn out for track

By: Roger S. Lucas
03/16/2005

Boys and girls track hopefuls go through agility drills at the Middle School field as they prepare for their season meet opener here March 23 at 3 p.m. - Roger S. Lucas photo

Some 50 track hopefuls, including three who placed at last spring's state tournament, were on hand for Lake Roosevelt's early tryouts.

The athletes were almost equally divided between boys and girls. Head Coach Gordon Proctor praised the group and said he had high hopes for this year.

Returning from last year's state trio are Omar Fercha, who placed third in the 110-meter hurdles and eighth in the 300 hurdles; Tiffany Barry, who placed fifth in the 800-meter run; and Jake Adkins, who took eighth in the triple jump.

The Raiders will host six other schools here on March 23, in the first official track meet of the season. Coming to Grand Coulee are Republic, Chelan, Waterville, Bridgeport, Entiat and Soap Lake. The meet will begin at 3 p.m. and be held on the Grand Coulee Dam Middle School track.

Proctor said he is encouraged by both the turnout and the quality of the athletes. 

"I think we will do very well this season," Proctor said. He added that he has high hopes for his 800-meter relay team.

"My goal now is to end up at spring break without injuries," Proctor noted. Spring break is the first week in April.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:23 pm

http://www.mi-reporter.com/sited/story/html/201732

Track and field gets big numbers
2005-03-18
by Matt Phelps

The Mercer Island High School track and field team had 80 students turnout last year. This year it got 150.

Building on the success of the past couple of years, hosting the 3A KingCo meet last year and first-time seniors and juniors this season, has put the team in a position to challenge for the league title.

"I use a bit of caution because anything can happen," said Mercer Island track and field head coach Chris Twombley, who is in his fourth year as head coach. "We have to stay healthy, but this is a part of our five-year goal to win KingCo. This year we think we can be in the top three. We are just really deep."

The 3A KingCo league title will be chosen differently this year -- the champion will be crowned based on record, not by one post-season meet.

"In the past, your record meant nothing," said Twombley. "This year, you have to maintain your success through the season."

The backbone of the track and field team has been the distance runners. With early meets meaning even more to the team, the distance runners will be an even bigger weapon during that time.

"It is true, our biggest strength is the distance runners," said Twombley.

"Erica (Hill, the distance coach,) has done some great things with them."

Back for their senior years will be Brian Govier and Brandon Fellows, both of whom competed at state last year.

But unlike in past years, other events for the team may be catching up.

"Girls sprints are good this year," said Twombley. "Up until this year our track events were a lot stronger than the field events. But this year that could change."

Twombley admitted that the girls' field events may not be as strong as he would like. But one athlete, senior Madeleine O'Meara, could make up for that with a strong year.

"She could take KingCo in the javelin this year," said Twombley. "She is just a great athlete."

O'Meara has had some record-setting meets for the Islanders over the past two seasons, but injuries have slowed her progress.

Jenn Doane is another female athlete that could earn some big wins for the team. The senior soccer standout could strengthen the girls' side with a healthy season. Sophomore Laura Vogel, who made a big impact last year as a freshman, will have an opportunity to grow even more on track events. Naoya Suzuki, who has impressed in jumping events, could have a big senior year for the boys side.

One athlete that the girls will miss greatly is high jumper Kelly McLeod, who has decided to concentrate on soccer.

But the loss of McLeod could have been harder to take in past years. The influx of first year track and field seniors and juniors, along with other cross-over athletes, from a multitude of sports, will give the Islanders a big boost. "I don't think that there is one specific reason for all the new people on the team," said Mika Rothman, who played softball last year during spring season. "Everyone can do it and no one gets cut. I wanted to do something fun to help with basketball."

Other crossover athletes, such as Yannik Mathews, who played varsity basketball, Govier, who traded soccer for running track last year, and Michelle Lam, a four-year swimmer and first-time track and field athlete, has pushed the Islander numbers to record levels.

Mathews is hoping to get the 4X400 relay team back to the state meet.

"We need to work on our hand-offs and mesh as a team," said Mathews, who will also look to compete in the 400, 800 and long jump. "I think I enjoy the jumping events the most. I just like the feeling of flying through the air."

Although there are more first-year seniors this season, it is not a new thing.

"That kind of kid just warms my heart," said Twombley. "Wes Sinclair's only year running for us was his senior year. Now he is running at Central Washington University."

Another reason for the big turnout is the number of freshman and sophomores on the team. "Right now we are just trying to assess all the talent we have out here,"

said Twombley as he watched the entire team warm up, which took up the entire straight away on the track. "We have to do all these tests just to see where kids should go. We are actively encouraging crossover kids. They saw the KingCo meet last year and the success we are having. It sets a positive vibe for the program. For a lot of kids track is not their primary sport. It is a way to stay in shape."

Twombley said that track and field is not a club sport and that kids don't, and shouldn't, do it year-round because it can hurt their body.

"We are trying to coach more than just the sport," said Twombley. "It is about body awareness and teaching kids how to stay in shape."

Because it is not a sport that the athletes should do year-round, the team has added hurdles to overcome.

"We have to start over from scratch every year," said Twombley. "But kids are coming up to us motivating us this year."

It seems, that the team has a jump on the past this year. The seniors on the team have an added sense of urgency.

"All of our captains are seniors," said Twombley. "They lead all the stretches and they are my communication piece."

Twombley noted that with all the new talent the team has just three weeks to prepare for what he considers a shot at the Islanders' best season so far in his six years as coach.

Info box Coaches: Chris Twombley (fourth year as boys head coach, two years as an assistant), Lezley Smith (10th year as girls head coach).

Assistant coaches: Erica Hill (distance running), J.J. Shephard (pole vault), Andrew Forster (throwing coach), Amy Wolff (hurdles) and Jamie Duckett (high jump) and Tami Lasky (sprints).

Last year's record: Boys 5-2, Girls 5-2.

Key athletes: Sr. Madeleine O'Meara, Sr. Brandon Fellows, Sr. Jennifer Doane, Sr. Lynne Tempest, Jr. Mckay Duer and Jr. Anna Larsen, Sr. Brian Govier, Sr. Naoya Suzuki, So. Laura Vogel, .

Key losses: Sr. Kelly Mcleod, Marielle Goyette, Tiffany Lee, Wes Sinclair, Sarah McFadden, Erica Steinitz and James Campbell.

Key newcomers: Jr. Yannik Mathews, Sr. Michelle Lam, So. Alex Holland, Jr.

Morgan Anthony and freshman class.

Key Meets: all six against 3A KingCo teams.

First league meet: 4 p.m. Thursday, March 31 vs. Mount Si.

Key to a good season: Utilizing and assessing the number of kids on the team and continue to move forward.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:27 pm

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/portals ... 0300&more=

Track team looks to rebuild

By Kevin Endejan
Mar 12 2005

There are a lot of new faces around the Oak Harbor track this season and they start at head coach.
Gone is Seth Hodges. In are Kevin Allen and Jay Turner, both throwing and sprinting coaches, respectively for OHHS over the past five years.
“We’re splitting the head coaching duties by default,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:36 pm

http://www.thenorthernlight.com/sports.html

Track team sets record
Blaine’s track team set a record by just coming out on the first day of practice, when 70 students showed up. “This is our biggest team in many, many years,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:06 pm

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 6&xb=zemec

SNOQUALMIE - Mount Si's track and field teams look to be very strong this season.

The boys look to be a top team in Kingco this spring. Veteran coach Chris Jackson has taken over the head coaching role for boys track and field this season on an interim basis, substituting for head coach Christine Kjenner. Jackson boasts a strong team this season and leading that cast of more than 40 are returning state qualifiers Adam Rothgeb (hurdles) and Alex Grazda (high jump and javelin). Some other athletes to watch include 400 meter sprinters Brady Barry, Joe Taklo and Stefan Marth. Taklo will compete in the 800-meter competition this spring, as well. Distance runners to watch include athletes Brad Allen, Thomas Goble and Kyle Stanton-Wyman, along with newcomer Drake Da Ponte. In field events, pole vault appears to be a deep event this season with returning athletes Mike Montgomery and Zack Sumner, and newcomer Sean Bothell looking to step up in that event.
In addition, the throwing events are loaded with newcomers for Mount Si's boys. Leading that group is Jake Tweten, Carter Howell and Kirk Strandjord. Grazda is excited.
"I think this year is going to be really good. We have a lot more throwers than we've had since I've been here," Grazda said.
Jackson's philosophy this season is competing to win, combined with constant improvement, teamwork, camaraderie and physical and mental development of the athletes.
For the girls, the team is young, with only three seniors: Shannon Posey, Meaghan Dunklee and Barb Holm. Also returning is junior Nicole Remish in sprinting competition and fellow junior Devan Paulus in the pole vault. Making her return to the girls track program after missing 2004 due to injury is junior Kali Roestel. Nine freshman girls turned out among a total of 28 athletes. There is also an international flavor on the girls squad, as well, as student-athletes from Germany and Denmark who are here at Mount Si as exchange students also are competing this spring.
Coach Dave Clifford, back for his 30th campaign as Mount Si girls track and field coach, is looking to go one step at a time.
"It's just like every year. We try to train our kids to go as far as they can so. Our initial goal is to qualify everybody for the league meet, and then get them from league to district, get them from district to state. We're not so much concerned with dual meet wins and things like that, although we like to be competitive, but our main goal is individuals maximizing their personal bests," Clifford said.
Clifford added that he's looking for a middle of the pack finish, and that Issaquah and the Bellevue schools all look tough this season.
Their energy is quite high.
"Yeah, we're a pretty energetic group," said Remish, competing in four separate sprint events this season.
Both the boys and girls teams, due to the continuing construction of the new stadium facilities at Mount Si, will be practicing and competing away from the school this spring. Some practices are being held at Issaquah High School, others at various makeshift locations around the Mount Si campus. All meets will be on the road. Both coaches can't wait for the new facilities to be open.
"We're really excited about it, obviously. We've had a whole year now of kind of being bussed all over the place and not having our own home-field and that's getting a little bit trying at times so [I'm] really excited about it. I think it will really help our turnout, said Jackson.
Clifford added that he had some sympathy for the seniors.
"I feel sorry for our seniors because they're not going to be able to use that great facility, but it will be one of the outstanding facilities in the state when it's completed," he said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:58 pm

http://www.columbian.com/03212005/sports/256573.cfm

High Schools: Deluge of sports about to begin

Monday, March 21, 2005
TIM MARTINEZ Columbian staff writer

Hey, I think I figured out a solution to this whole drought thing, although it may be about two months too late.

High schools should have started their spring sports season back in January. That would have guaranteed some rain would fall.

At least, that's the way many high school coaches are feeling as the spring sports season opened Friday and Saturday under cloudy skies, rain and wind.

"It was a long day," Camas track and field coach Elisa Wise said after the Papermakers hosted the Camas Field Fest, an early season meet for jumpers and throwers that was held in the rain and wind on Saturday.

This came after about six weeks of beautiful, sunny weather when temperatures reached into the 70s.

It was a great winter to be outside, while high schools sports were all inside.

Now that the sports scene hits outdoors, the good weather has ended.

But don't fret, spring sports athletes the sun will return.

Today, the second official day of spring, figures to be soggy, but things start to warm up and dry out by midweek, as the spring sports schedule gets rolling.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:18 pm

http://www.union-bulletin.com/main.asp? ... leID=26017

Balance powers Irish track teams
DeSales has 39 athletes turned out as the focus on postseason performances begins.

By Roy Elia of the Union-Bulletin

If there is one trait the DeSales boys and girls track and field teams share as they enter the 2005 season, Coach Mike Michels believes it is balance.

A contrast to the 2004 campaign when Michels stated before the opening meet his boys team had numerous throwers and his girls squad possessed an abundance of runners.

Arguably the biggest reason for the new-found balance is numbers. Thirty-nine athletes are out for track and field this spring, the program's highest turnout ever.

``Any time you have a lot of kids in track and field, it helps you depthwise,' Michels said. ``You can get a lot of kids in a lot of events. That'll be exciting.

``We have a group of kids this year that makes it fun to go out to train every day,' Michels said. ``Every person we have on the team came out because they wanted to come out. We didn't strong arm anybody.

``Our whole goal every year never changes,' Michels said. ``We try to get the kids to be at their peak level by the postseason and try to advance kids as far as we can at the state level.'

Five state medalists, three seniors and two sophomores, from the girls Class B state runner-up of a year ago return to bolster this year's team.

Andrea Wujek is back to defend her state title in the 300 meter hurdles and was a member of two championship relay teams, the 4x200 and 4x400. Michels also sees Wujek as the favorite to capture the championship in the
100 hurdles.

Janel Sislow, last year's B state champion in the 3200 and second-place finisher in the 1600, is coming off a solid cross country season at Wa-Hi last fall that included a top 20 finish in the Class 4A state meet.

Sprinter Margot Robison, like Wujek, was a member of the 4x200 relay team and ran a leg on the runner-up 4x100 relay.

Angela McCaw also ran with the 4x100 relay team and this year will again compete in the long jump, another event in which she was a state participant.

Danielle Ferrel was part of the 4x100 relay and will run hurdles and relays. She also qualified for state in the 300 hurdles a year ago.

``That's a good group to build off,' Michels said. ``They'll be the cornerstone of our relays, hurdles, jumps and sprints.'

Two state qualifiers - senior Lindsey Thomas and junior Megan Notturno - return to lend their vaulting expertise. Notturno reached state last year while Thomas qualified two years ago and sat out the 2004 season. Thomas will also compete in some of the jumping events, according to Michels.

Elizabeth Bart, a senior, and sophomore Molly Phillips will partake in the jumping events. Bart ``will run some of the sprints too,' Michels said.

Freshmen Mollie Wollmuth, Christine Jubb and Erin DeLeonard will ``factor somewhere in the jumps, sprints, relays and hurdles,' he added.

``In a couple of relays, we'll have two teams,' Michels said. ``That's nice to see.'

And after going through 2004 without a single girls thrower, Michels will have junior Sarah House and sophomore Mary Magnaghi to shoulder the responsibility this year.

The strength of this year's boys team will be its throwers, Michels said. State medalists Chad Acock in the javelin and Travis Klicker in the shot put, along with discus specialist Chris Michels, provide a solid foundation of veterans.

This threesome will be backed up by sophomores Sam Donnelly and Nick Lyons, a newcomer to the program.

Chris Michels is recovering from a broken foot and Lyons is expected to throw the javelin, following in the footsteps of his uncles Frank and Gerald who starred for DeSales some three decades earlier.

Coach Michels is also looking for two other sophomores, Tony Sutlick and Andrew Torrey, to step up in the throwing events.

An ``enthusiastic' bunch of freshmen - Cory Gall, Chris Bart, Tony Anspach and Tim Kontour - give the Irish added depth.

``We have a nice group of throwers and nice blend of veterans,' Coach Michels said. ``They are doing a great job of teaching the younger kids some technique.'

Senior Jordan Bennett heads a list of sprinters that includes sophomore Micah Thoms and freshmen Ryan Hawkins and Jose Gutierrez.

In the distances sophomores Trent Sislow in the 800 and 1600, and 1600 and 3200 performer Alex Wentz, figure to contribute significantly to Irish success after good seasons last fall as members of the Wa-Hi cross country team.

Junior Tim Wade, sophomore Josh Richard and freshman Ryan Moberg ``are going to mix around a lot' in the jumping events, Coach Michels said.

``None of these events are set in stone yet,' he added. ``We're going to try them in a lot of different areas.'

Jim Caulk and Chris Wujek, a senior and a junior with state meet experience, will lead the crew of Irish vaulters. Junior Dylan Tokar, and freshmen Konrad Laubhan and Kevin Deccio, are penciled in as vault participants as well.

``They're a fun group to be around,' Michels said of his boys team. ``They are working hard and enjoying it. We have guys spread all across the board. That's good to see. You want to see kids in a lot of different events.

``I think we've got a chance to move a lot of kids through to district,' Michels said. ``Our relay teams are going to be stronger. We didn't even have a boys 4x100 team last year. We're going to have two teams this year, the same with the 4x400. That's fun for us.'

Michels also returns a veteran coaching staff. Michael Scheel coaches the hurdlers; Danny Kezele the sprinters; and Scott Notturno the pole vaulters. Scheel and Kezele divide the duty of coaching the relay teams.

``It's great to have coaches than can help out,' Michels said. ``You need assistant coaches so bad in track. It's great to have guys who know what they're doing. It takes a lot of pressure off me.'

DeSales' first meet is a District 9 event Tuesday in Clarkston.

``It's a week earlier than usual, which I'm not too crazy about,' Michels said. ``We like to have at least three weeks to get ready. But that's the way the schedule is so we'll just go up there and have at it.'

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:02 pm

http://www.yakima-herald.com/premium/29 ... 22249.news

PREPROUNDUP Cummings, Palma shine in jamboree
YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

Eisenhower's Victor Palma and Charles Cummings each won an individual event and ran on a record-setting distance medley in Tuesday's 18th annual Eisenhower Jamboree track and field meet at Zaepfel Stadium.

Palma was first in the 600-meter run and Cummings captured the 2,000. Both joined Brett Felton and Matt Guilland on a distance medley (600-200-400-800) that set a meet record of 4:57.9.

Eisenhower's Sarah Tarango set a meet record in the girls pole vault, clearing 10 feet.

Ellensburg's Devon Cresse turned in a fine double in the throws, winning the shot at 37-9 and the javelin at 114-11.

Teams competing: Sunnyside, East Valley, Kittitas, Selah, Ellensburg, Eisenhower, Glenwood, Toppenish.

BOYS

100: Patrick Rickman (Ell) 11.62, Noah Jiles (Ike) 11.86, Luke Schilperoort (Su) 12.04.

300: Jordan Wood (Ike) 38.02, Luke Schilperoort (Su) 38.03, Ryan Young (EV) 38.94.

600: Victor Palma (Ike) 1:32.53, Karim Salazar (Ike) 1:42.19, Matthew Santoy (Su) 1:51.00.

1,000: Robbie Barany (Ike) 2:44.10, Cipriano Meraz (Su) 2:59.44, Sterling Scott (Su) 3:04.14.

2,000: Charles Cummings (Ike) 6:10.79, Birkin Owart (Ell) 6:40.55, Oscar Martinez (Se) 6:45.24.

2,000 steeplechase: Stephen Englund (Ike) 6:49.6, Jeff Jorgenson (Ell) 7:14.6, Joseph Barela (Ike) 7:31.3.

60 hurdles: Caleb Nelson (Ell) 8.9, Jeremy Reddick (K) 9.2, Michael Blanchard (Se) 9.3.

4x400: Eisenhower 3:40.22, Ellensburg 3:46.37, Selah 3:56.07.

Distance medley (600-200-400-800): Eisenhower 4:57.9 (meet record), East Valley 5:26.2, Toppenish 5:49.1.

Shot: Brody Faire (Ell) 47-113/4, Mitch Wheelhouse (G) 46-61/4, Brycen Taylor (Ike) 44-61/4.

Jav: Eric Rinehold (Su) 135-2, Jonas Linde (Su) 135-0, Michael Young (Se) 133-4.

HJ: Jason Foster (Ell) 5-4, Josh Cecil (Ike) 5-2, Daniel Ramirez (T) 5-0.

LJ: Josh Cecil (Ike) 16-113/4, Benny Wagner (Ell) 16-91/2, Aaron Wetherald (Ike) 16-8.

PV: Jeff Hill (Ike) 12-0, Cody Skipton (Se) 11-6, Tony Leiter (G) 11-0.

GIRLS

100: Fatima Ruelas (Su) 14.15, Vanessa Alvarez (Su) 14.32, Tiffany Ostrander (EV) 14.49.

300: Arianna Mohsenian (EV) 47.35, Cassie Joliff (Su) 48.20, Jordyne Jaquish (Su) 49.06.

600: Samantha Dahlstrom (Ike) 1:54.25, Emily Mitch (Ike) 1:57.50, Brigitte Miller (Se) 1:57.67.

1,000: Elana Darnell (Ike) 3:32.75, Hilarie Glenn (Ike) 3:32.78, Ellyse Phillips (EV) 3:39.12.

2,000: Christina Pineda (Ike) 7:37.70, Ann McCarthy (Ike) 8:06.25, Claudia Figueroa (Se) 8:25.79.

2,000 steeplechase: Stephanie Cooke (Ell) 9:15.5, Sami Abdul-Wahid (T) 9:29.5.

55 hurdles: Christy Linde (Su) 9.6, Alissa Gregson (EV) 9.7, Mackenzie Pratt (Ell) 9.9.

4x200 relay: Selah 1:58.94, East Valley-A 1:59.46, East Valley-B 2:01.63.

4x400 relay: Toppenish 4:39.10, Ellensburg 4:42.23, Eisenhower 4:43.38.

Distance medley (600-200-400-800): Eisenhower 6:11.20, Toppenish 7:16.80, no third.

Shot: Devon Cresse (Ell) 37-9, Annie Hess (B) 37-43/4, Jordan Stueckle (Se) 34-8.

Jav: Devon Cresse (Ell) 114-11, Alli Krous (Ike) 108-5, Krystal Woodiwiss (K) 101-9.

HJ: Mackenzie Pratt (Ell) 5-0, Lynzy Brown (Ike) 4-10, Kelsey Curfman (Ike) 4-8.

LJ: Shene Davis (Se) 15-61/4, Lynzy Brown (Ike) 14-81/2, Fatima Ruelas (Su) 14-8.

PV: Sarah Tarango (Ike) 10-0 (meet record), Cassie Joliff (Su) 8-0, Caiti McCrary (Ell) and Amber Shannon (Ell) 8-0.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:09 pm

http://www.columbian.com/03232005/sports/257594.cfm

High school spring preview: Making Her Own Mark

Wednesday, March 23, 2005
By PAUL VALENCIA, Columbian staff writer

The first time Shyanna Davis threw a javelin, it didn't go so well.

Not holding it properly when she went back to launch the javelin, the end smacked her on her back, leaving a mark.

"I'm never throwing this thing again ever," Davis recalled saying when she was a freshman.

Good thing for her, she didn't keep that promise.

Today, Davis, a senior at Heritage High School, is one of the state favorites in the event. She finished sixth at the state championships a year ago, and she was fourth as a sophomore at Evergreen.

But before state, there is this business of the Class 4A Greater St. Helens League's regular season and then the district meet. This is a golden opportunity for Davis.

Kara Patterson of Skyview won three consecutive state titles in the javelin before heading off to college at Purdue.

"Kara and I competing against each other for three years was fun. But of course I'm glad to see the state champion out of there because I have a chance now," Davis said with a laugh.

In fact, Davis said perhaps one of the reasons she did not see much improvement last year was the fact that she knew no matter what she did, Patterson was still there.

"Maybe I hit a slump or something. But this year, I have a completely different mentality," she said. "I want to be a state champion."

Last year at the regional meet, she advanced to state with a personal-best throw of 134 feet, 4 inches. But she twisted her ankle that day, and she said it affected her preparation for state. She managed a throw of 128-5 to take sixth.

This year, though, Davis can't see any obstacles in her way.

"I have a fire in me now. I'm not settling for anything less than what I've placed before," she said. "I'm going for first. Once I get in the weight room and build up these guns, I'll be right there."

No matter what happens in June at state, Davis, a three-sport athlete, has enjoyed a stellar high school athletic career. And her efforts have been rewarded.

Recently, Davis made a verbal commitment to Jackson State in Mississippi, where she will play volleyball on scholarship as well as walk-on to the track and field team.

The next signing period is in April, and Davis does not expect to change her mind.

"I need to go explore the world on my own and see what life has to offer me," she said.

That's the kind of attitude a person with an open mind has. And that certainly describes Davis, who became one of the best javelin throwers in the state almost by accident.

She joined the track team as a freshman without knowing what she could do.

"At first we did everything, to see if we were any good at it," Davis said.

That first attempt at javelin aside, her coaches told her she had potential in the event.

In her first meet, she threw the javelin 89 feet. By the end of the season, her javelin flew 117 feet, good enough for fourth place at district.

"After that, I knew I loved the javelin," she said.

The following year, she made it to state. She did it again as a junior. And now, it's her senior season.

Don't be surprised, though, to see her at state in another event, as well.

Her coaches asked if she wanted to try the shot put. She tried it once, and they liked what they saw.

Hey, it worked for Davis in the javelin

http://www.columbian.com/03232005/sports/257596.cfm

Girls Track and Field Preview

compiled by Columbian staff

Girls Track and Field Preview

Athletes to Watch

Athletes Yr. SchoolOf note

Shyanna Davis Sr. Heritage Sixth at 4A state in javelin

Amy Donovan Jr. Prairie Placed 8th in 4A state shot put

Ashley Grayson Sr. Heritage State qualifier in 100 hurdles

Anisa Holt So. Heritage All-league in 100, 200 meters

Jasmine Kelly Jr. Skyview Fourth in 4A high jump

Kelsey Klettke Fr. Prairie District cross country champion

Corrie Kutkey Sr. Evergreen District placer in long, triple jump

Candice Missouri So. Evergreen 4A district 100 meter champion

Jenaya Sledge Sr. Woodland 2nd in 2A shot put; 3rd discus

Lynsey Stepan Jr. Mountain View Eighth in 4A state 1,600 meters

http://www.columbian.com/03232005/sports/257599.cfm

High school spring preview: Lovells improve by leaps and bounds

By TIM PYLE, Columbian staff writer

At the Class 3A state track and field meet in Pasco last year, Jeremy Lovell cleared a personal-record 6 feet, 4 inches in the high jump.

One attempt later, Josh Lovell did the same.

The sequence did not surprise Cindy Lovell. Her identical twin boys, after all, have always done things together.

Others, such as Columbia River track and field assistant Colleen McKinney, were amazed.

"Colleen looked at me, and she goes, 'Oh my god.' She goes, 'They really are identical twins,' " Cindy Lovell said. "And I go, 'You know, it goes hand in hand whatever one does, the other one seems to come right back and do it again, or even better.' "

Jeremy tied for fourth in the state with his leap, while Josh had to settle for seventh because he needed one more attempt.

Both consider the moment their greatest athletic feat, which is saying something, because the juniors also play varsity football and basketball for the Chieftains.

"We're kind of always together," Josh said.

Which leads to the inevitable confusion.

"Our football coaches can't tell us apart out of our jerseys," Josh said. "They just know the numbers."

Josh has grown out his hair to give a visual divide. He is also slightly taller, though both are about 6-foot, 150 pounds.

McKinney claimed she can see deeper differences.

"Even if they didn't have different hair cuts, I'd be able to tell them apart," she said. "Their personalities are similar, yet vividly different."

Jeremy is the cerebral, introspective twin. Jeremy is the talkative, free-spirited other half. Those differences, however, are in degree rather than depth.

"They're pretty much the same," Cindy Lovell said.

Further evidence of their similarities came in Columbia River's season-opening meet Saturday, when the Lovells were named co-outstanding jumpers of the Camas Field Fest.

They finished tied for second in the high jump (both cleared 5-8), Jeremy won the long jump (21-11/2) and Josh claimed the triple jump (41-0).

"They have a lot of natural ability," McKinney said. "And they're very coachable."

Athletic success runs in the family, as Cindy ran track and father Bruce played basketball at Hillsboro (Ore.) High. Older brother Kevin, 20, was a pitcher at Hudson's Bay.

Then, of course, there is the Lovell twins' competitive edge, honed both by one-on-one battles and always having somebody so close to measure up against.

"I think we push each other to do more," Jeremy said.

In track and field, the bar is set high for a spring to remember.

"They didn't know their full potential last year," McKinney said. "It was a very enjoyable thing to watch them realize something they maybe didn't know they could do.

"I really look for them to be consistent this year, and just hone in on the talents they have."

http://www.columbian.com/03232005/sports/257601.cfm

Boys Track and Field Preview

compiled by Columbian staff

Athletes to Watch

Athletes Yr. School Of note

Victor Asher Sr. Columbia River Class 3A shot put runner-up

Brad Charters Sr. Camas 3A state qualifier in shot put

Jake Hull Sr. Heritage Placed 5th in 4A state pole vault

Paul Limpf Sr. Evergreen Placed 9th in 4A state 3,200

Jeremy Lovell Jr. Columbia River Placed 4th in 3A state high jump

Josh Lovell Jr. Columbia River Placed 7th in 3A state high jump

Chris Michels Jr. Skyview Placed 3rd in 4A state 400

Austin Reddington Jr. Heritage All-league triple jump, high jump

Jeff Strom Sr. Prairie Wyoming state placer long jump

Mat Webb Sr. Heritage Placed 5th in 4A state shot put

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:12 pm

http://www.union-bulletin.com/main.asp? ... leID=26044

Irish boys, girls win Class B meet
Waitsburg's boys take second and girls fifth in adverse conditions.

CLARKSTON -DeSales boys and girls placed first in the team scores at the Class B track meet there Tuesday.

In the boys competition, the teams scores were DeSales 144, Waitsburg 114, Tekoa-Oakesdale-Rosalia 64, Pomeroy 59, Lacrosse-Washtucna 50, Asotin 44, Touchet 37, Dayton 36, Garfield-Palouse 34, Jubilee Christian 29, St. John-Endicott 8 and Clarkston 4.

In the girls competition, the the team scores were DeSales 125, Tekoa-Oakesdale-Rosalia 90, Pomeroy 80, Asotin 64, Waitsburg 50, Dayton 49, St. John-Endicott 26, Clarkston 26, Lacrosse-Washtucna 23 and Touchet 5.

The first-place finishers for the Irish boys were Trent Sislow (1,600), Chris Wujek (pole vault), Travis Klicker (shot put) and Chad Acock (javelin).

In the girls competition, Andrea Wujek won both hurdles and ran legs on the girls first-place 4x100 and 4x200 relay teams. The other members of the relay teams were Margo Robison, Angela McCaw and Danielle Ferrel.

The Irish also had first-place finishes for the girls by McCaw (100) and Megan Notturno (pole vault).

``It wasn't ideal weather for the first track meet of the year,' DeSales Coach Mike Michels said. ``But we're pleased with our kids' performances. They all competed well.'

Waitsburg, which placed second in the boys competition, got three first-place finishes from Matt Baker (110 and 300 hurdles and high jump) along with a second-place finish in the 100 meters.

Waitsburg's Wade Bennett won the long jump and the triple jump. Gabe Kiefel tied for first in the discus, and Brad Huffman won the 800.

``The times and distances were affected by bad weather,' Waitsburg Coach Ron Huntington said. ``It was rainy and cold. We had some good performances.'

BOYS

Long Jump-Bennett, Waitsburg, 19-9; Triple Jump-Bennett, W, 37-4; High Jump-Baker, W, 6-10; Pole Vault-Chris Wujek, DeSales, 9-0; Shot Put-Travis Klicker, DeS, 49-6; Discus-Kiefel, W, 116-10; Javelin-Chad Acock, DeS, 167-0.

100-Cole, Garfield-Palouse, 12.0; 200-Acevedo, Jubilee Christian, 24.5; 400-Stone, Tekoa-Oakesdale-Rosalia, 52.0; 800-Huffman, Waitsburg, 2:13.2; 1,600-Trent Sislow, DeSales, 5:07; 3,200-Stone, TOR, 10:59,

110 Hurdles-Baker, Waitsburg, 15.5; 300 Hurdles-Baker, Waitsburg, 44.2.

4x100 Relay-Touchet, 49.2; 4x400 Relay-TOR, 3:54.4.

Team scores-DeSales 144, Waitsburg 114, Tekoa-Oakesdale-Rosalia 64, Pomeroy 59, Lacrosse-Washtucna 50, Asotin 44, Touchet 37, Dayton 36, Garfield-Palouse 34, Jubilee Christian 29, St. John-Endicott 8, Clarkston 4.

Girls

Long Jump-Angela McCaw, DeSales, 14-4, Triple Jump-Harston, Tekoa-Oakesdale-Rosalia, 32-3; High Jump-Turner, Dayton, 4-10; Pole Vault-Megan Notturno, DeS, 8-0; Shot Put-Brown, TOR, 32-10; Discus-Miler, Pomeroy, 95-9; Javelin-Passmore, L-W, 98-2.

100-Angela McCaw, DeS, 13.5; 200-Styner, Asotin, 28.9; 400-Lambert, Dayton, 1:02.9; 800-Gundy, Asotin, 2:42.9; 1,600-Gundy, Asotin, 5:45; 3,200-Moss, Asotin, 13:21.

100 Hurdles-Andrea Wujek, DeS. 15.7; 300 Hurdles-Andrea Wujek, DeS, 50.0.

4x100 Relay-DeSales, 53.3, (Margo Robison, Angela McCaw, Danielle Ferrel, Andrea Wujek); 4x200 Relay-DeSales, 53.3 (Margo Robison, Angela McCaw, Danielle Ferrel, Andrea Wujek); 4x400-Tekoa-Oakesdale-Rosalia, 4:48.8.

Teams scores - DeSales 125, Tekoa-Oakesdale-Rosalia 90, Pomeroy 80, Asotin 64, Waitsburg 50, Dayton 49, St. John-Endicott 26, Clarkston 26, Lacrosse-Washtucna 23, Touchet 5.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:58 am

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/217308_track24.html

Girls on center stage in track and field

By MICHAEL MCLAUGHLIN
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Move over, guys. After hogging most of the high school track and field spotlight last season, it's time for the girls to become the main attraction in 2005.

Last spring, the boys took center stage as Nate Rolfe of Inglemoor (discus), Matt Wauters of Bainbridge (shot), Norris Frederick of Roosevelt (high and long jump), and Kyle Jenkins of Thomas Jefferson (triple jump) dominated.

"As a coach, to have a special person like Kyle (Jenkins) come through doesn't happen very often, if at all," Jefferson coach Kevin Hanis said. "We have to wait and see who it'll be this season. Each year, you see different kids step up. That's what high school sports is all about."

Topping the girls is senior Jacqua Williams of Rainier Beach. Williams won the 3A 100- and 200-meter dashes as a sophomore and junior, as well as the long jump title last year.

There's also senior Becca Noble from Rogers (Spokane), who set a 4A state meet record in the 400 (54.31 seconds), won the 200, and erased a 40-yard deficit as she anchored the winning 400 relay team.

Toss in senior Brie Felnagle of Bellarmine Prep, the defending 4A champion in the 800 and 1,600, who came within a second of setting state meet marks in both events. She's a two-time state cross country champ.

Each is capable of providing 20 to 30 points to their team's scores, and 30 points goes a long way toward a top-five finish at state.

The early 4A boys team favorites are Mead and Ballard, the second- and third-place finishers last year. Both return key contributors.

However, Mead lost head coach Pat Tyson, a former Oregon distance runner who will join the Oregon program as the volunteer men's distance coach. Tyson, a former college roommate of Oregon star Steve Prefontaine, coached Mead to five track and 12 state cross country titles in 19 years at the Spokane school.

The Panthers gain senior Laef Barnes, one of the premier prep distance runners in the nation, who missed the state meet with a stress fracture in his right leg, and junior Skylar Jessen returns in the sprints.

Ballard returns senior sprinters Dan Tyson and Chris Stephens, the 1-2 finishers in the 400, and will be the team to beat in the 400 relay.

Rainier Beach and Holy Names top the 3A girls, but several coaches mentioned Blanchet. Besides Williams, Beach returns three of four from its champion 200 relay team and two members of the third-place 400 team.

Holy Names is led by senior Bevin Peters, who took fourth in the 1,600 and third in the 3,200 last year. Devin Brooks took first in the 100 hurdles, third in the 200 and sixth in the 100 as a freshman.

Blanchet has a solid group of underclassmen and senior leadership in Whitney Knox, the two-time defending champ in the 400.

Among 3A boys, O'Dea has junior Taylor Mays back to defend his 100 and 200 titles, and junior Brandon Jones (sixth in the 100).

Yelm, the 2002 team champ, has finished second to O'Dea the past two seasons and could regain the title. Senior Jake Hanson is the defending state champ in the 110 and 300 hurdles and the long jump.

OTHERS TO WATCH

Name
Yr.
School
Comment

Terry Johnson
Sr.
Bothell
Might be best overall sprinter in 4A

Carlos Fontenot
Sr.
Redmond
Runner-up in the 200 has performed well

Princess Joy Griffey
Jr.
Decatur
Set sophomore state record last year in the 100

Whitney Hooks
Jr.
Cascade
Could become top female thrower in state history

Kelsey Walker
Jr.
Bellevue
Defending 1,600 champ looks to add 3,200 title

Christina Tupper
Sr.
Skyline
Versatile hurdler, jumper due for huge state meet

Nkeiru Ugwoaba
Jr.
Highline
Triple jump champ looks stronger as a junior

Laura Schvaneveldt
Jr.
Interlake
3A pole vault champ dominated; should be better

Kara Bennett
Jr.
Liberty
3A high jump champ was fifth in triple jump

TOPS IN TRACK

BOYS

Mead: Losing coach Pat Tyson to Oregon last week won't stop the Panthers from contending for the 4A title.

Ballard: Beavers took third at 4A state last year and will again challenge for the team title.

Curtis: Vikings have a solid core of returning athletes to be the early SPSL favorite.

O'Dea: The Irish, led by sprint champ Taylor Mays, are looking to make it three consecutive 3A state team titles.

Yelm: The 2002 state champs appear ready to make another run at the 3A title after finishing second to the Irish the past two seasons.

GIRLS

Rainier Beach: As long as senior Jacqua Williams is healthy, the defending 3A champs will be one of the favorites come June.

Holy Names: The Cougars took second at state last year and will challenge Beach for the 3A title.

Curtis: The two-time 4A state champs will again rely on sprints and relays to separate themselves from the competition.

Rogers (Spokane): Senior Becca Noble may be the most exciting sprinter in 4A and could lead the Pirates to the state team title.

Bellarmine Prep: With senior distance runner Brie Felnagle and frosh Nicole Cochran leading the charge, the Lions are one of the 4A teams to beat.

-- Michael McLaughlin

Return to “Washington”