Laura Schvaneveldt Article (WA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Laura Schvaneveldt Article (WA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:03 pm

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/ ... tml/202403

EASTSIDE TRACK PREVIEW - Setting sights on higher heights - Interlake junior pole vaulter Schvaneveldt going for more than just another state title
2005-03-26
by Brandon Cossel
Journal Reporter

BELLEVUE -- Laura Schvaneveldt said that she surprised herself by winning a state title in the pole vault last year.

This year, it will surprise no one if the Interlake junior ascends to heights that no other girl in state history has before.

At last year's state meet, Schvaneveldt was down to her final attempt and she needed to clear a personal best height of 12 feet. If she made it, she would likely win. If she didn't, she would finish second.

Her vaulting coach, Charlie Shugart, handed her a bigger pole that she had never used before.

``I had so much adrenaline running through me that I didn't even think about it,'' she said.

She nailed her attempt, her closest competitor missed her jump and Schvaneveldt was a state champion as a sophomore.

``I was so excited and it all happened so fast, that I don't remember much about it,'' she said.

Champion pole vaulter seemed like a natural path considering the athletic history of her family.

Schvaneveldt was exposed to the sport by her older sisters, Amy and Kierstin, who both placed high at the state meet during their time at Interlake. Laura would hang around for their summer practices and developed a taste for the sport.

Shugart, who has been coaching the event at Interlake for 18 years, said Schvaneveldt has the perfect physical makeup for a pole vaulter. She's a strong runner, she has great upper-body strength and a long, lean frame, and she has a background in gymnastics.

But putting all those tools together with the technique required was initially difficult.

``During freshman year, I almost quit because I was so frustrated,'' she said. ``It wasn't working for me, but after I won Kingco I thought `Well, I guess I do have some talent. Maybe I should stick with it.'''

From there, her raw ability and hard work were enough to make her the state's best.

As her grasp for the technique involved in swinging her body at the top of the vault grows, there will be few limits to what she can achieve.

Schvaneveldt said she is shooting for the high 13-foot range by the end of this season, which would put her well beyond the state record of 12-10 set by Stevie Marshalek of Kentlake.

``This is an incredibly complicated event,'' Shugart said. ``She's just scratching the surface of how high she's capable of going. I think she could be the first girl in the state to jump 14 (feet).''

Return to “Washington”