Spring Break Open Flood

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Spring Break Open Flood

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:52 pm

I meant to post this a few weeks ago when I got it...

Envelope-to: becca@polevaultpower.com
Subject: The Spring Break Open Flood
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:47:20 -0800

For those of you who did not venture out today to Edmonds District Stadium, count your decision as a fortunate one. I arrived at the Stadium for pre-meet set-up at 8:30 a.m., shortly before Brian Oster. I was confronted with a dismal scene in a pouring rain.

Since the end of high school football season, Edmonds School District worked hard to replace the 15-year old Astroturf on the infield with a playable surface, in this case Field Turf. In making the infield more accommodating for soccer football (as opposed to America's gridiron football) in the spring season, it was determined that the previous asphalt sideline and drain would be covered with Field Turf, trackside to trackside. The track is scheduled to be redone in the summer, hence our already planned move to Shoreline District Stadium for the summer all-comers series.

However, in rain such as this morning, there is hardly any place for the water to go with no interface (drain field) between the infield and the track. As a result, the first two lanes on both straightaways were covered with water, and on the main straight the water stretched in places to lane four. In places on the main curb, it was two inches deep. Because the rainfall only started in the early morning, it got worse while we stood there.

After consulting with several coaches who brought teams, and determining what other events with which the rain was going to cause problems (pole vault was out, and both throwing circles had standing water in them; as well, the triple jump is particularly hazardous during this type of rain), they determined they were going home. As a result, Brian and I made the decision practically simultaneously that the meet should be cancelled. We attempted to phone as many people for whom we had numbers.

Needless to say, I am very irritated. If the school district had known that this would be a problem, I would have hoped that, with a long-standing 12-year relationship, they would have let Brian or me know in advance so that we could have evaluated the situation well before the meet date. At least three teams drove three hours, another two for two-plus hours, and several dozen individual athletes showed up intending to compete, having arranged no other option for themselves for the weekend.

We apologize for the problem and the cancellation. If and when this meet is scheduled in the future, we will hold it at a facility which we know to be finished and able to withstand the weather March commonly presents.

Bill Roe

Return to “Washington”