The Fence

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

MLfanclub
PV Newbie

The Fence

Unread postby MLfanclub » Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:58 pm

Has anyone ever been a pole vault spectator at the stadium in everett? I was lucky enough to catch some sweet vaulting by Molly there last season, but it was ghetto because I was hopelessly pinned behind a fence 34827 miles away from all the action. Since I wasn't audible at that distance molly's mom and I waved around flares for visual support and shared a pair of binoculars to catch her while she vaulted. alright so it wasnt that bad but I was curious as to the boundaries of spectators at pole vault events. since most of you are all pole vaulters you have VIP access and dont have to worry about it. at the decathlon/heptathlon at lake washington HS this summer I saw parents/friends setting up all over the place to watch the vaulting. is it distracting to have someone sit so close to the runway, or do you just feed off the energy? would it be distracting if I put my lawn chair on the other side of the pit (at a reasonable distance) facing the vaulter as he/she ran down the runway and vaulted? is it just a common sense issue and this question is basically pointless?

xtremevaulter

yeah everett sucks

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:39 pm

Yeah this last season at a meet in Everett my dad was like way over by where you were it is kinda sucky cuz you really want the people who you are close to to be near you. any way. I like having people close but not that close.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:56 pm

Most vaulters shouldn't find it too distracting as long as you are not too close and being too distrcting.

Meets vary about who they let on the field or whatever... your best way to get up close and personal... offer to help move standards or put the bar back up or catch poles :)

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:01 am

I love it when all the people are around you and cheer you on. Everyone loves to watch vaulting. Even if they don't know any one who is competing. As long as there far enough away so that they cant get hurt its all good. I say about 20 feet away is a good distance!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

lavasteal
PV Beginner

Unread postby lavasteal » Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:02 pm

bad idea, in an indoor meet, don't fall onto the track as the gun goes off for the guys 55m hurdles.... only time i didn't like being close to people while vaulting
Who else gets to say they fly?

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:53 pm

yeah, i know what your talking about! sadly that's one of my worst problems...concentrating. My last meet was ok cause it was states and EVERYONE was cheering for me and that was rare because no one ever cares about pole vaulting at my school. It was really great and i felt less nervouse knowing that all my "fans" were out there cheering me on. :D
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:35 am

lol, i like having peopel around....sometimes i just need to keep my head away from the vaulting....i mean i know this one meet i pred (fortunately a big pr) i had all my vaulters from my school within like 10-20 feet, if not closer at times....it was cool, i mean i even had one asking what type of sub sandwich i wanted....sometimes it's just best t take your mind off the vault and just do it....overthink it and it can be a problem...though i'm not saying take all focus off it, lol, i did bring my head back into it before i started down the run way, but it was nice to have a breather i guess....especially when tons of peopel had gathered to watch
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:45 am

Yeah, I need to take my mind off of it a little, but sub sandwiches? I don't know. My teammates are stupid though, they'll just be really obnoxious. One of them was actually talking to me, he was right in my way and I wasn't even listening. But sometimes when certain people are there, like the ones who aren't "regulars", it screws me up.
Pole Vaulters get high!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:04 am

am i enough of a "regular" or would i screw you up talking to you? Lol
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:40 pm

Lol, you are. I'm use to you. :P
Pole Vaulters get high!

Return to “Washington”