Knights' Vo joins elite group of pole vaulters (CA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to California

Moderators: vaultmd, bjvando, bvpv07

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Knights' Vo joins elite group of pole vaulters (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:45 am

http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ ... ck_check=1

Knights' Vo joins elite group of pole valuters
The senior caps her Las Lomas track and field career with consecutive appearances in the state championships
By Robert Jordan
STAFF WRITER
Article Launched: 06/07/2007 03:00:23 AM PDT

SACRAMENTO -- The pole vaulting community in the Diablo Foothill Athletic League is a tight-knit group.
So when Las Lomas High School's Katie Vo went out of the California Interscholastic Federation state championship preliminary round on June 1, the first person to congratulate her was Campolindo's Stacey Jung.
And when Jung was one of the nine girls qualifiers for Saturday's finals at Sacramento City College's Hughes Stadium, Vo returned the favor, being the first to congratulate Jung.
"I told her before the year started she was going to win," said Vo.
Jung cleared a height of 12-3 during the June 1 preliminaries to qualify for the finals the next day.
Vo is not psychic but she was right about Jung.
Jung won the North Coast Section Meet of Champions with a height of 12 feet, 3 inches and she finished fifth at the state meet with a region record 12-4.
The top six finishers from each event earned a medal. The top nine qualifiers from the preliminary rounds advanced to the finals.
Castillejah-Palo Alto's Tori Anthony cleared 14-1 to win the event and break the national and state meet record.
"I was surprised I placed," said Jung, who became the first girls Campolindo pole vaulter to place in recent memory. "I started panicking after I missed two attempts at 11-10."
A junior, Jung is also the only girl in the region to clear 12 feet or higher more than once.
A senior, Vo's year wasn't too shabby either.
For the second straight
Advertisement

year, Vo advanced to the CIF state championships.
And for second straight year, Vo cleared the opening height of 11-3 at the state championships.
That is a feat in itself.
In the past two seasons, 19 vaulters who qualified for the state meet failed to clear the opening height, including 10 at this year's meet.
Vo also cleared a season-best of 11-6 earlier this year.

Return to “California”