Moderators: vaultmd, bjvando, bvpv07

rbvaulter#1
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12-6
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

PV Camps

Unread postby rbvaulter#1 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:03 am

So this summer I'm looking to go to a pole vault camp. I live in socal (San Diego) and the 2 that most people mention are the UCLA camp and the Coast Athletics one. I'd go to both if I could but that too much money. Any opinions on them?

Right now Im leaning towards the Coast athletics one. Its cheaper, way longer and I've heard they really focus on technique.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Re: PV Camps

Unread postby Split » Mon May 04, 2009 12:23 am

Wheres the Coast Athletics one?
I've heard the UCLA camp isn't worth it...like 400+ kids for like only 10 coaches...
I never met a pole I didn't like.

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon May 04, 2009 12:48 am

Alan Launder is coming back for a 3rd year to Portland. I think he likes it in Oregon and the kids! We are moving the clinic to Gladstone High School to better simulate the conditions you all have at your site. I have given flyers to alot of coaches out there and if you need one just email me at baggettpv@aol.com or visit www.willamettestriders.com. Dates are May 29, 30 and 31.

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

marshall
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Roth

Unread postby marshall » Mon May 04, 2009 2:38 pm

i went to the ucla camp last year and it was great. the stay itself is really enjoyable and they have a bunch of guys that know what they're talking about. there are about 50 or 60 vaulters and 10 or 11 coaches that take a group of 6 or 7 to vault or do drills. you don't get much time in with curran himself, but he sits down with you to analyze your technique on film.

i didn't get much immediate improvement at the camp, but it really jumpstarted me for the offseason. i learned a lot more about the subtleties of the vault and i understood everything i needed to fix that summer. still haven't fixed everything but i'm vaulting a lot better. haha

overall the atmosphere is fun to be in.

Return to “California”