Former vaulter Marion J. Medeiros killed in fire (CA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to California

Moderators: vaultmd, bjvando, bvpv07

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Former vaulter Marion J. Medeiros killed in fire (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:12 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/valley/ci_12892084

Cupertino family still coping with death of man killed in fire

By Matt Wilson

Cupertino Courier
Posted: 07/22/2009 02:07:44 PM PDT
Updated: 07/22/2009 02:09:51 PM PDT

Click photo to enlarge
Marion J. Medeiros at the age of 33 when he was awarded recruiter of the year in 1989.

Flowers and a single American flag rest against what was once the home of Marion Medeiros, a military veteran, star Cupertino High School athlete, brother, father and son.

Medeiros, 53, died in the early morning of July 13 as his childhood home on the 10000 block of Johansen Drive burned in a two-alarm fire.

His 78-year-old mother, Marie, who lived in the home since 1959, escaped the 4 a.m. blaze, but Santa Clara County firefighters were unable to rescue Medeiros, a quadriplegic confined to his bed.

Ken Kehmda, deputy fire chief of operations, said a rescue attempt was not possible due to the severe nature of the fire. Efforts were focused on preventing the flames from reaching next-door neighbors. Fire crews fought the blaze for about 45 minutes, and Kehmda said it took four hours to fully extinguish.

The Shaw family, who lives next door, called 911 at about 4 a.m. as smoke and flames poured into their home, which suffered minor damage. The Medeiros home is uninhabitable.

The tragedy has shaken the normally quiet Cupertino neighborhood.

"I'm shocked. I never thought I would see a fire like that around here," said neighbor Ellie Ghiassi.

Mena Kolla was among those awakened by sirens and the imposing orange glow of the nearby flames shooting an estimated 20 to 30 feet in the air.

"So scary, so tense," Kolla said.

Kolla's son Subodh added, "We were overwhelmed with the sight of the flames. It was so bright."
Advertisement

When the sirens started roaring, Brenda Eldridge and her husband, Steve, jumped out of bed. Steve went down the street and found Marie outside the burning home, Brenda said. He made sure she got medical attention and helped contact the Medeiros family after Marie went to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Until that moment, Brenda said her family had never officially met Marie.

"This taught us that we have to watch out for neighbors," Brenda said. "It's so unfortunate that we had to meet like this. This is the price we pay for not knowing our neighbors."

She hopes some in the neighborhood can come together and create a memorial for Marion outside the home.

Remembering

On July 15, members of the Medeiros family were boxing up belongings and memories of their brother and the home in which they grew up. They recounted the profile of a "charming" man who loved cars, sports, music, a good meal and serving his country.

"He was a very kind person. The minute you met him, you knew you were going to like him," said Maxine Braceros, Marion's youngest sister.

Marion suffered a stroke 19 years ago, which left him paralyzed from the neck down. His immobile lifestyle was a stark contrast from his previous life, she said.

"Marion was the athlete of the family," Maxine said. "Because of that, he was the sparkle in our father's eyes." Marion was a star athlete at Cupertino High School in wrestling and track in the 1970s. His brother Baron said that some of his pole vault records might still be unbroken.

Baron said his brother's transition from a lifestyle dominated by activity to one of paralysis was difficult.

"The last 20 years were really rough on my brother," said Baron. "He felt like a prisoner trapped in his own body." The two brothers were born a mere year and week apart and were very close. Baron referred to his younger brother as his first birthday present.

"You would have never thought they were brothers. Everyone thought they looked like they were just best friends," Maxine said. "They brought out the best in each of them." Marion made the military his career. He was stationed in Germany, Korea and for a time in Hawaii with Baron.

"I was never jealous of him. He was more my challenge," Baron said of the friendly rivalry he had with his brother.

Baron said his brother was very proud of his time as a military recruiter in Florida. Marion was named military recruiter of the year in 1989. Before his stroke, Marion was considering becoming a Green Beret.

"He was very much the`whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger' type of guy. He always wanted to be the best," Maxine said.

Maxine said she can't help but tear up thinking about the memories she has of barbecues, family get-togethers with cousins and the day-to-day life of sharing a home with eight other siblings.

The siblings did well in the little home with one bathroom and two bedrooms, she said.

The long-term fate of the gutted house remains unclear, but Maxine said her mother would like to rebuild it. She added that the Medeiros family is one of the few remaining original families from when the block was first built in the 1950s.

Fire officials were still investigating the blaze's origin early this week, but Maxine Braceros said investigators suspected an electric heating pad as a possible cause.

Marie is staying with a son.

A service for Marion Medeiros is being held July 22 at Oakhill Cemetery and Chapel of the Oaks in San Jose. The service were scheduled for 1 p.m.

Return to “California”