Summer Camps?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to California

Moderators: vaultmd, bjvando, bvpv07

Oyndapants
PV Fan

Summer Camps?

Unread postby Oyndapants » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:11 pm

Hey, I live in southern California, SD to be exact, and I was just wondering if anyone knows of good camps i can get involved in this summer. I want to improve this summer so I can Jump high next year with Derek Scott. Hes the CIF SD section champ and I want to atleast make it to league finals next year.
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, I'm going out shoeless."

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:30 pm

The DUST camp will be a good one its in apple valley soulthern CA all the information is on the site. http://mysite.verizon.net/res0xov3/

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:05 am

http://polevaultpower.com/west/

If you guys know of camps that are not listed, email them to me or enter them yourself!

opalkak
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.45m

Unread postby opalkak » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:49 pm

there is a great camp in Flagstaff, AZ. Its a week long camp put on by skyathletics, this is the group that trains Nick Hysong, Stacey Dragila, April Steiner, Keenan King, and a lot of other vaulters.

I think the important thing is to just get out there to a camp even if it is only a weekend thing. I've only attended two camps in my career, but after both I PR'd ( a foot after my freshman year of vaulting as a camper, and 3 inches last summer as a councellor).
...success is doing what you can do well and doing well whatever you can do

rebelvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby rebelvaulter » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:44 pm

Go to Skyjumpers, it's an awesome camp :yes:

NUVAULTER
PV Nerd

Unread postby NUVAULTER » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:54 pm

if you can afford to travel Rick Attigs camp at Nebrsaks is a great camp

Oyndapants
PV Fan

Unread postby Oyndapants » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:39 pm

Im gonna go to Coast Athletics camp in san marcos. We need to have some seshs derek if you read this
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, I'm going out shoeless."

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:49 pm

For all you SD vaulters. . .here's a secret: Creed Stary of UCSD is a contact you need, as well as Dave Rynearson (coach at Valhala in El Cajon) Both of these men are very good coaches, give great advice, and have both jumped over 17'. Going to a camp is nice and all, but what you need to do is be serious about year long training, not just going to one or two camps. Both of these gentlemen I'm sure would be willing to help anyone out.
"If you don't want to be
a deadbeat like me,
I won't blame you." Owen

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:20 pm

Beam wrote:For all you SD vaulters. . .here's a secret: Creed Stary of UCSD is a contact you need, as well as Dave Rynearson (coach at Valhala in El Cajon) Both of these men are very good coaches, give great advice, and have both jumped over 17'. Going to a camp is nice and all, but what you need to do is be serious about year long training, not just going to one or two camps. Both of these gentlemen I'm sure would be willing to help anyone out.

Beam hit the nail right on the head: camps are nice, but they are no comparison to quality year-round coaching. Find a club or dedicated coach who will work with you in and out of season, and you'll generally improve a lot more in the long run than by going to a 3 day or even weeklong camp. Even if there aren't any clubs nearby, make the sacrifice and drive once a week, or however much you can afford to. I have kids 3-4 hours away that make the drive up here a few days a month to work with me and it has really paid off for them. If you're truly dedicated, you'll do whatever it takes to improve.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:51 pm

lonestar wrote: If you're truly dedicated, you'll do whatever it takes to improve.

yes, someone else knows wut i'm talkin about!!! :D :D

Kate
PV Newbie

Unread postby Kate » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:03 pm

id recommend skyjumpers...its really good.

wRock n Vault
PV Newbie

Unread postby wRock n Vault » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:41 am

Wow, Thank God i signed up for the Skyjumpers camp. Any one else gonna be there?
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, PLEASE SAVE ME SUPERMAN!"
-Homer Simpson

Return to “California”