no
44%

Total votes: 16

fink10
PV Newbie

has any one gone to the sky jumpers camp

Unread postby fink10 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:30 pm

did it help you
Last edited by fink10 on Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:36 pm

helped me a lot and was lots of fun! you learn to surf if you go to the one in atascadero (at jj's house) :yes: :yes:

fink10
PV Newbie

hi

Unread postby fink10 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:37 pm

did your pr increase

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:28 pm

honestly, I dont think you should be worried about immediate PR increasage, although it very well might. the stuff they teach you, you need to practice it. in the long term, it shoudl help you depending on where you are right now in your vault ability.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:52 pm

yeah, you're not going to make like a 2 foot increase in your pr from one camp, but if you pay attention, work hard, and practice the drills, you'll def get better. a number of factors including the camp have helped me go from a pr of 11' 6" last year to almost clearing 15 this year.

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:43 pm

Any camp you go to is worth while going to. I went to Jan's camp as a Freshman in high school and learned tons of things. I went my sophomore year and didn't learn anything new. That was when it was held at Cal Poly. I'm not certain how it has changed for the better or not; but the best thing to do is. . . is go to as many camps as you can. If you don't learn anything new, at least you might learn something again that you had forgotten. There are plenty of camps to attend. Try all of them out to see what people teach in different parts of the state too.
"If you don't want to be
a deadbeat like me,
I won't blame you." Owen

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:27 pm

i was a four year camper at the PA skyjumpers and am returning as a third year as a coach. I can tell you if you are a 15 foot vaulter looking to be a 16 footer, this is not really the camp for you. Over the course of the last 5 or 6 years. the camp has really moved to a beginners camp. teaching basic vault progressions and systems. I think this is also a fantastic tool for coaches looking to learn about coaching beginners. You will learn a lot, you will be exhausted by the end, and maybe most importantly you will have a great time

hope this helps.
~b
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:28 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:I can tell you if you are a 15 foot vaulter looking to be a 16 footer, this is not really the camp for you.

Then again, are their any camps for this?
Ow

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:43 pm

defintly a good camp, i was there one of the years vtechvaulter was a coach. great camp for begginers, really breaks everything down great. the coaches are awesome, i didnt have vtechvaulter but i had some cool ones, and the kids are really cool, you have a fun time when your not vaultin, and you learn alot of drills from short run that you can take with you and do them when your at your own practices.
VA for Life!!

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:13 am

I agree with Brian. Going from maybe 12 to 13 or 14 in a camps is sometimes possible, if you are a 15+ vaulter, its hard to coach someone higher in a 4 day camp. At that point, having a steady coach and routine is the key.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:56 am

das_1971 wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:I can tell you if you are a 15 foot vaulter looking to be a 16 footer, this is not really the camp for you.

That is the problem, many camps ARE trying to sell themselves as this type of camp. They usually use practices like raising your grip 8" or going up 15lbs of pole and bringing your standards in to 45cm to accomplish these "improvements". The problem is when the camper goes home the can't replicate any of their camp performances.

Stick with a good developmental camp (like Skyjumpers) and you will be better off in the long run.

Barto

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:55 am

das_1971 wrote:

earl bells camps consistently have 16-17 footers
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “California”