cif finals

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to California

Moderators: vaultmd, bjvando, bvpv07

tim hutzley
PV Pro

cif finals

Unread postby tim hutzley » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:05 pm

are any of you going to cif finals in cerritos and cif masters this year.
I just want to know who my competition is.

Tim

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:48 pm

I personally am not going to vault in CIF finals or masters but I am a "helper-outer" at Marina HS and Edison HS, ( both in Huntington Beach, CA) and each of these two schools have good jumpers. Edison has a 15+ vaulter already, and Marina has a 14 ft. jumper as well, plus one that is nearing hte 14 ft. mark, as for girls Edison and Marina each have a good girl. Edison has an 11+ footer and Marina has an 11'6" jumper, just about to pop off that 12 foot mark.... Be on the look out for Southern California vaulters cuz there are a few coaches that are going to have some jumpers jumping real high in the future......
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:06 am

i'd have to say watch out for graham bockmiller just b/c he knows that if he don't bring home the title to miramonte again, i'm gonna kick his a**. I worked long and hard to bring the CIF title to miramonte last year, and if i see it go to some low life so cal school i'll make sure he won't want to come home. as for the losers, i'd have to go with zack miller taking second. the kids big, strong and fast. all he needs is a plant, which i could see him getting this year. andrew little has also been looking pretty good this year. i'll give him 3.

bjvando
PV Master

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:47 am

ok, first of all didnt you go to a so cal school? last i heard San Diego Area was in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, and second of all, no offense to any kids that went to Miramonte, im sure the vaulters there worked hard and are talented vaulters but whats with that coach, this guy is waaaay too intense for pole vault, he is obviously doing somethign right b\c hes had a couple good jumpers( the past 2 years only), but he is a disrespectful, pompous a** that doesnt treat anyone with respect. thats just a vaulters opinion who has experienced this first hand.....and remember, im not here to stir up any controversey, just straight up conversation.....

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:25 am

whoa whoa whoa....wow. ok...first off miramonte is in the san francisco bay area, NORcal. I think i know where i live. second off, i don't know about anybody else, but in my opinion, nothing and or nobody could ever be TOO INTENSE for the vault. the vault is naturally, an INTENSE sport. if you're not absolutely out of your mind when jumping, or when one of your athelets is jumping, i think you need to find a new sport. doug bockmiller, the coach in question, my coach, the man that taught me a unconditional love for the sport, never jumped incredibly high (17'8"), however, he is known by EVERY vaulter who was anybody in the 80's (Billy Olson, Mike Tully, etc) because of his INTENSITY. They loved and still do love him for it. I've never met anyone with more passion and energy for the vault. Third, this is his 4th year coaching at miramonte. I was a sophomore with a PR of 8'6" when he came. My junior year, 2001, i jumped 15'8" to take second at state (missed you at the finals, bj). My senior year i jumped 16'6" to win it. We also had 2 other vaulters at state last year. Graham Bockmiller, coaches son, and Shannon Mcintyre, 11'6" first year girl. So yea he's only had good vaulters in the last 2 years, CAUSE HE'S ONLY BEEN COACHING FOR THREE. Fourth, doug may not be the most friendly of people when coaching, but that again comes back to his INTENSITY. HE WANTS TO WIN, AND AS WE SAW LAST YEAR, USUALLY HE DOES. if we have to step on your face on the way up to the top, SO BE IT. in the end the only thing that matters is who is STANDING ON TOP. and last year i know it wasn't you, cause that spot was taken up by my fat a**. way to not stur up controversy. miramonte is bringing it home again.

bjvando
PV Master

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:24 am

my bad, i totally thought you were from San Diego, i dont know why, but i did.... and i guess you missed it where i said he wasnt a bad coach, cuz he obviously is doing something good, right? and I somewhat agree about the intensity part making a good caoch, cuz its motivating, but that still isn't an excuse to treat people poorly that dont deserve to be treated poorly. I know he was known in the 80's, I see and work with Mike Tully all the time and he has dropped his name a few times. I think that if someone deserves to be treated bad, then to what you may, but if someone is just "in the way of your glory" then in that case NOBODY deserves to be, as you put it, "stepped on". Vault is a community, that everyone should be stoked for the other to jump high. going in with the attitude of "if we have to step on your faces on the way to the top, so be it" thats the completely wrong idea. that type of attitude should be left on the football field my friend..competition is a great thing, its what makes everyone do their best, to be better than the next guy, but(almost) every time, you should shake hands with the guy you beat, and be a proud, respectable winner

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:16 pm

you're right, after every competition you should shake hands...but thats AFTER the competition. hell, me and landers, my nemesis in the state of Cali for the past two years, are damn good friends. however, when in competition he's just the guy that i want to beat at all costs. competition is WAR. i want to WIN. i wish mike had made 16 6 with me at state last year, cause if he did i think that would have pushed me to make 17'1" and set the new meet record. even though he was the guy i was gunning for all year, i still held and do hold the utmost respect for him. and btw, what did my coach do to disrespect you? was he too pissed off that the standards were off by 15 centimeters at the freaking state meet?

aaroncorbett
PV Newbie

well, aren't we the cocky one Mr. Moore

Unread postby aaroncorbett » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:36 am

Yes, you won the state title in HS last year. Good job, we are all proud of you. So how is college going so far? I noticed that you jumped a whopping 15'6''. Wow. I am impressed. I am sure, however, that with outdoors, you will vault much better than you are now. You are a better vaulter than 15'6'', but at this point, you are a 15'6'' vaulter. You can't ride on your HS PR. It doesn't count anymore. Oh and as far as BJ goes, he has gone 4.90 from a 6 step. that's 16'1'' right? Me, well, I haven't been as good as him yet, just 4.86 from a seven. but wait, that is still 15'11.75"--which again, is higher than you have vaulted in college so far. I'll admit that, with time, you may prove to be the better vaulter, but that time is not now. Stop being some cocky prick who lives in his HS glory days.

lope14feet
PV Beginner

Unread postby lope14feet » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:18 am

Wow! I hope that if I make it to state this year, which I'm working hard and at the pace I'm going I should make it, that I don't act like you fools even if I win. I hope to be modest and not a pompous jerk.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:46 pm

wow....aaron....i thought you were a pretty cool guy last year. we got along didn't we? we sat together at meets, cracked jokes about other vaulters that didn't look so good, and even no-heighted at arcadia together. hell, i felt very bad about what happened to you at state prelims. but hey, whatever. but just to clear things up, i didn't come looking for this fight. but when some guy comes on and starts talking crap about my coach, it pisses me off. even more than you talking crap about me. when someone calls my coach an a-hole, i get pissed. wouldn't you do the same? and as for our vaulting this year, it's good to hear that you're jumping well. as for me, yea, i've been struggling some lately, but i always struggle early, but i'm always there when it counts. Junior year i jumped an 11" PR at state. came in seeded 14 and took home the silver. Last year my only 2 PR's were 2 weeks before state and at state, for a total of 10". My whole season before that, as you saw at arcadia, was crap. but hey man, it's good to hear from you. maybe next time the conversation will be a little more cordial.

aaroncorbett
PV Newbie

then maybe you would understand..

Unread postby aaroncorbett » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:09 pm

why i got kinda mad when you took a shot at my friend BJ. It is kind of the same principle as him taking a shot at your coach. it made me mad. I tried not to be completely disrespectful in that i did mention that with outdooors you will vault higher. I know you will. You are a good vaulter. But ya, just kinda made me mad that you took a shot at BJ. anyway, good luck the rest of the year.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:31 am

wow is right - in 25 years if you are still vaulting - still want to do well - hate to do bad - always want to improve - you may think back and say - take a deep breath before you smack someone - just vault high
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Return to “California”