Smithson Valley vaulters lift one another to success (TX)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Texas

Moderator: achtungpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Smithson Valley vaulters lift one another to success (TX)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 am

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stor ... 87daf.html

HS track: Trio doesn't miss a step

Web Posted: 03/12/2008 09:07 PM CDT

Dan McCarney
Express-News Staff Writer
Smithson Valley senior Jacob LaChapelle estimates there are 15 technical details to a successful pole vault.
A mistake on just one can be the difference between success and failure — which is precisely why LaChapelle loves the sport.

"In striving for perfection," he said, "you can't help but get better and better."

While he wasn't perfect, LaChapelle came as close as he's ever been on Saturday at the Judson Invitational, setting his personal best at five heights before tying the Greater San Antonio Area record of 16 feet, 3 inches.

"It was like a dream," he said. "Everything I'd been working on for four years came together — form, technique, speed, strength. It was just amazing."

LaChapelle shares the mark with former Churchill vaulter Brad Settles, who set it in 2002. Provided he qualifies for the Region IV-5A and state meets, LaChapelle will have five more opportunities to break the record.

His performance was part of a historic weekend for area vaulters. At about the same time LaChapelle was tying the boys record, New Braunfels sophomore Demi Payne was vaulting 12-4 at the Bear Relays in La Vernia to break the girls record of 12-0, set by Rebekah Tibbetts of Clemens in 2003.

High School Mailbag
Got a question about high school sports? Use the form below and fire away!
*Your name

*Your e-mail

Your hometown

*Your question

*Required
"She's a natural," said Smithson Valley junior Logan Cunningham, who trains with Payne at the Elite Vaulter Sports Complex. "She's going to go high."

Entering the season, the smart money to break any records would have been on Cunningham.

While LaChapelle spent most of last spring stuck at 14-6, Cunningham, then just a sophomore, vaulted an area-best 15-9. He also beat LaChapelle in all six meets.

Now that LaChapelle has turned the tables with victories in two of three meets, Cunningham says he's eager to restore Smithson Valley's vaulting hierarchy to its natural order.

"I want to see him do well, but I want to do well, too," said Cunningham, who ranks third in the area at 15-0. "I want to beat him."

Driven by such competition — fierce, yet friendly — it's not unreasonable to think that both might break Settles' record by season's end.

"Every time I wake up before a meet, I already know Logan's going to bring his best," LaChapelle said. "He's like me — we don't know failure, and we'll keep going and going and going."

Not to be forgotten is Smithson Valley's third vaulter, junior Landon Ferguson. Overshadowed by LaChapelle and Cunningham, Ferguson ranks fifth in the area at 14-1. The goal, said Rangers coach Doug Ulbricht, is to qualify all three athletes for the Region IV-5A meet.

"I think that's why they're going higher and higher," he said. "They're watching each other, having fun, helping each other. They get after each other, too. It's pretty fun."

For now, LaChapelle has earned his time in the spotlight.

Most vaulters get their first taste of the sport no later than junior high.

LaChapelle, however, didn't try it until his freshman year at Smithson Valley.

"I remember thinking, 'That's a pretty cool sport,'" he said. "It's kind of like flying."

He spent the next four years grinding his way through countless hours of training, all of which came together in one glorious afternoon.

"You do get frustrated," LaChapelle said. "Most people, when they get frustrated, tend to give up. It makes me work that much harder."

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:29 pm

CONGRATS to these athletes!! BTW - Demi Payne is the daughter of former CR, Billy Payne - 19' 2 3/4". Both the boy (Brad Settles) and girl (Rebekah Tibbetts) athletes whose records were broken were coached by my coach, Kris Allison of Lone Star PV.

Speaking of which, I'm jumping indoors at Kris' brand new building tomorrow. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Return to “Texas”