Moderator: achtungpv

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Ty Barrington

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:54 am

saw this kid jump tonight and he has alot of potential!! He jumped 16-6 on a runway with a dip in it, the box had like pillows packed around it, and the runway was 1 & 1/2 ft off the ground (pretty scary) he was darn fast and was taking off a foot + under every time. He could of made 17 if he didnt bail out, but I dont blame him it was a scary place to jump! he even had a couple crashes along with Davis and some of the other big name guys.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:24 pm

Post some more results if you got 'em. Some of us couldn't make it up to Fort Worth yesterday.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:37 pm

these are some off the top of my head
Ken Ellis (my dad) 14-6
Terry Porter 13-6
Ty Barrington 16-6
Jim Davis 17-0 (smoked by over a foot!)
Kevin Opalka 17-6
Im not 100 % sure about the rest and they probably arent proud of the results like Davis. He was pretty pissed. I know Misty Swan jumped 11-6 and placed 3rd and I cant remember the other two names, they had a long jump off at like 12-6 or so? Some good highschool girls cleared high bars. A highschool sophmore jumped 14-6, and places 2nd to rhe skinniest kid ive ever seen pole vault who jumped 15-0

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Ty Barrington

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:47 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:saw this kid jump tonight and he has alot of potential!! He jumped 16-6 on a runway with a dip in it, the box had like pillows packed around it, and the runway was 1 & 1/2 ft off the ground (pretty scary)

1 1/2 foot under ?!?!?! He's getting better! It made my back ache when he attempted to take off at 8' on a 5m pole last season.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:51 pm

wouldnt your back like fall off onto the ground if yu held on? How fast is he, he must be smoking to be that far under and jump high very easily!

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:34 pm

I got to Agree with Kyle I was not real comfortable on that runway. I was on small poles and wasn't feeling to great but I still should of jumped 17'.
There was alot of scary crashes even Me.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:32 pm

my knee started hurting from landing there, and i was trying not to lean back when i landed there. it tjust threw me off even more!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:32 pm

but i got a free shirt and a good show so ...

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Re: Ty Barrington

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:51 pm

achtungpv wrote:
KYLE ELLIS wrote:saw this kid jump tonight and he has alot of potential!! He jumped 16-6 on a runway with a dip in it, the box had like pillows packed around it, and the runway was 1 & 1/2 ft off the ground (pretty scary)

1 1/2 foot under ?!?!?! He's getting better! It made my back ache when he attempted to take off at 8' on a 5m pole last season.

Ty is a great young vaulter, from a very nice family. It's always a pleasure to see them at meets. I've been saying for the past several years if he ever backs his takeoff up to where it needs to be, he'll jump really high. Scary like it is now though. I worry about him coming down in the box or doing some permanent damage to his back.

Backing up your takeoff can be difficult. Just ask Stacey Dragila. I believe that is all that is keeping her from being the first sixteen footer in history. It could get Ty over eighteen pretty quickly. :yes:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:38 am

The big question about Tye is can he jump from outside. Sometimes bad habits can't be broken. A few years ago I saw a kid jump 16' with a terrible plant and everybody said " when he gets in college and learns to plant ..." well he still can't plant and he still jumps 16.
The runway probaly didn't scare Tye because it was his and was buildt identical to the ones at Reno where he has jumped several times.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:17 pm

I don't know man, Ty might takeoff under alot but he already has his grip up high enough to jump 18'6" according to Dave johnsons chart. he is probably going to be pretty good, I think he has the highest grip of anyone ever in highschool, so of course he might have a problem taking off under.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:35 pm

His 17' vault at Reno wasn't that bad. He was still under a bit, but it wasn't cringe inducing at all. Considering he flagged out and clear 17' clean, I think he's got a good shot at 18' this season.

Return to “Texas”