Albany coach develops another quality pole vaulter (TX)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Texas

Moderator: achtungpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Albany coach develops another quality pole vaulter (TX)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:19 am

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/m ... lyin-lion/

Albany coach develops another quality pole in junior Nabors

By Evan Ren (Contact)
Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reporter-News photo by Thomas Metthe Albany High School pole vaulter Marcus Nabors clears the bar during practice Thursday. Nabors, who has cleared 14-6, will compete in this weekend's Region II-1A track meet.
ALBANY -- Some describe them as daredevils -- athletes with no fear of height and no fear of injury. They are the pole vaulters, seen by some as track and field's best all-around athletes.

Those willing to do it are few in number.

Those who become good at it are even fewer.

So how is it that Albany High School manages to find one solid pole vaulter after another -- the latest being 18-year-old junior Marcus Nabors?

Nabors, who enters today as one of the favorites at the Region II-1A track and field meet at ACU, is another quality vaulter from a program which has put a boy or girl in the state meet in seven of the last eight years. That includes back-to-back state titles won by Jordan Morales in 2002-2003.

With a personal-best of 14 feet, 6 inches, Nabors is now the 10th Albany competitor to eclipse the 14-foot mark (considered a benchmark of excellence) in the past 13 years.

"You have to be willing to spend a lot of time with it," said Albany track coach Rod Britting, who won an NAIA national title in the event at Wayland Baptist in 1991. "A lot of coaches aren't willing to put in the extra hours that it takes to be successful at it.

"Our school is a big part of it also, because it does a great job providing us with a lot of equipment. We have a lot of poles, and that was a priority for us. If you don't have any poles, you won't have any pole vaulters."

The investment is significant, considering that today's graphite poles can run more than $500 apiece. But it is Britting who some believe is the true force behind Albany's pole vault success.

To begin with, picking the right athletes for the task takes an experienced eye.

"We look for kids who are thrill seekers," Britting said. "We want a kid who gets excited about the idea of bungee jumping or sky diving, or who likes playing on a trampoline and climbing trees. Those are the types of kids who will excel in the vault.

"You can take a kid who has a good work ethic and make him a decent vaulter. But if you can find one that is fast, strong and fearless, then you're looking at a good one.

"It takes a high-quality athlete to be a good vaulter. You're talking about gymnastics ability, strength, speed and guts."

A high level of resiliency is a must as well.

Spills, broken poles, and near-misses are an inevitable part of the game. And if one can't mentally recover from such an experience, they can be spooked from vaulting again.

"(Thrills) are why I got into pole vaulting," Nabors said. "Flying through the air just sounded fun to me.

"I don't think it has ever really scared me yet. Almost missing the mat can be a little scary, but it never stopped me from going back and trying it again."

Tradition is another factor.

Even before Britting's arrival, Albany had multiple vaulters who cleared 14 feet under then-head coach Paul Johnston, including state-qualifier Joey Boland in the early '90s.

"Pole vaulting is sort of like the shot put or discus," said Johnston, who now assists with the throwers. "If you get a good one, then you'll start get junior high kids who grow up wanting to be like them.

"They hang around and kids help each other to become better. But when you have someone like coach Britting, who is a former national champion, that doesn't hurt either."

So respected are Britting's opinions on the subject that his advice is sought from athletes and coaches from throughout the area.

And why not? Along with Nabors, Aaron Faith and Andrew Cauble recently cleared 13 feet in practice.

"We keep coming up with a good vaulter every year, even though a lot of people don't want to do it," Nabors said. "At most meets, there's only five or six of us competing out of 20 schools.

"I have to give all the (credit) to our coach. He's one of the best around."

belmore
PV Pro

Re: Albany coach develops another quality pole vaulter (TX)

Unread postby belmore » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Good article on "Rockin' Rod ". Dang good pole vaulter, heckuva coach. Real good man. Good luck Rod and his crew.
compete and jump safe, have fun

Return to “Texas”