Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Pole vault fits Wallace's adventuresome personality

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stor ... .4770.html

Pole vault fits Wallace's adventuresome personality perfectly
Web Posted: 03/19/2004 12:00 AM CST

Raul Dominguez Jr.
San Antonio Express-News

Reagan senior Daniel Wallace had never competed in the pole vault before his freshman season, but the danger involved in the sport intrigued him.

After all, Wallace had rappelled 250 feet at Enchanted Rock. He also stood atop a backboard and dropped three feet to dunk on a 10-foot high goal.

As outrageous as those escapades may seem to some, they were mundane compared to a day in Wallace's neighborhood.

"A friend of mine said, 'It would be really funny if we tied a boogie board to the back of my (ATV) and someone rode it,'" Wallace recalled. "So I said, 'Sure, I'll do it.'"

When Reagan receivers coach Mike Dutson was recruiting athletes to participate in the pole vault, Wallace's response was "Sure, I'll do it."

Wallace became one of the region's top pole vaulters in his second year in the sport and has progressed to be among the state's best as a senior. He has won 11 of his past 13 meets, including all three this year, is the reigning Region IV-5A champion and placed sixth at state last season.

Wallace will compete in the pole vault at the Whataburger/UTSA Relays at 2 p.m. today at Gustafson Stadium. The meet starts at 1:30 today and continues Saturday.

Wallace was a freshman receiver when Dutson, who is also Reagan's track and field coach, first noticed him.

"Looking at his body style and how aggressive he was, I thought he would be a good pole vaulter," Dutson said. "I just think he is always real confident and real coachable. That's why he's done so well so quickly."

While the success may seem immediate, Wallace admits his first vault ended in embarrassment.

"It's a horrible story," Wallace said, laughing.

Attempting to vault 8 feet, Wallace was holding the pole too close to the base as he ran down the track.

"It gets hooked on my outer shoe," Wallace said, "and it launches the pole at coach Dutson and I fall and get all bloody from the track."

Said Dutson: "He held on a little too long and the thing just fired back. It went right over my head by an inch or two. It was probably more than that, but it felt like an inch."

After Wallace gathered himself, he picked up the pole and went back to work. It's a fearless mentality that has helped him become a better pole vaulter.

"Some guys will break a pole and get a little spooked," Dutson said. "When Daniel breaks a pole he'll get another one and go right back at it."

Wallace vaulted 10-0 as a freshman, but improved by three feet as a sophomore and had a personal-best of 15-0 last season as a junior. He won eight of 10 meets last season and was named to the Express-News All-Area team.

Wallace said that success means little this season because Jack May of Churchill and Judson's Chad Stoerner and Thomas Elbel are all trying to wrest away the District 26-5A title.

"Jack May from Churchill and I are archrivals," said Wallace, whose best this season is 14-6. "(Actually) we've really become good friends. That just shows the fellowship you can have in the sport with people. We love going out there and pushing each other."

Return to “Texas”