Lori Bowen Article (FL)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Lori Bowen Article (FL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:02 am

Good luck Peepers!!

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahas ... 518065.htm

Maclay, Fla. High girls chasing state titles

By Jim Henry

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Lori Bowen is chasing history. More specifically, she's looking to vault into the Florida High School Activities Association record books.

Bowen, a senior pole vaulter at Maclay School, headlines a large Big Bend contingent competing in the FHSAA Track and Field Championships at Coral Springs High School. The ClassA state meet is today; the Class2A state meet is Saturday.

The Region1-3A meet, meanwhile, is today at Florida State's Mike Long Track. The Class3A and 4A state meets are next weekend in Coral Springs.

Bowen, a two-time defending ClassA state champion in the pole vault, enters today's competition with high hopes.

According to FHSAA records, Bowen can become the first to win three state titles in the pole vault, surpassing fellow two-time winners Sarah Adams of Sebastian River, Carrie Crandall of Jacksonville Episcopal and Kelly Greeno of Orlando Boone.

More importantly, Bowen, who will also compete in the 200- and 300-meter hurdles and a relay, wants to help the Maclay girls win their second team title in four years. The Maclay boys enter as three-time defending state champions but are not expected to contend for the team title this year.

The Maclay girls and Jefferson County boys won the Region1-A meet last week at Chiles High School.

"Everyone is very excited and I think we have a good shot at winning the team title," Bowen said. "We have a real tight group - we've kind of become sisters toward the end of the season. It would be nice to make a good showing."

Bowen, who first started competing in the pole vault five years ago, won last year's state title at 11 feet, 3 inches. She's attracting collegiate interest from FSU, Florida and Tennessee.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:12 pm

Nice job!!

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahas ... 528484.htm

Bowen reaches new heights

Maclay senior becomes the first to win three state title in the pole vault

By Mike Ridaught

DEMOCRAT WRITER

Maclay's Lori Bowen has vaulted into the Florida High School Athletic Association record books.

Bowen, a senior pole-vaulter at Maclay School, won her third consecutive ClassA pole vault state championship on Friday at the FHSAA Track and Field Finals at Coral Springs High School. Bowen won the event at 11 feet, seven inches, which was four inches better than last year's performance and two feet better than her next closest competitor.

According to FHSAA records, Bowen becomes the first to win three state titles in the pole vault, surpassing fellow two-time winners Sarah Adams of Sebastian River, Carrie Crandall of Jacksonville Episcopal and Kelly Greeno of Orlando Boone.

"It's pretty cool, but it's so weird to me that I'm the one who did it," she said. "It was definitely a ground-breaking experience. I was battling heat exhaustion all day. I'm very happy that all the efforts my coaches have put in have paid off."

Bowen, who also finished third in the 300-meter hurdles, helped the Maclay girls to a fifth-place finish overall with 50 points. Sophomore Laura Kuhse, who contributed by finishing third in the triple jump (35-07.00), finished fifth in the pole vault (9 feet).

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:41 pm

way to go Peepers!! WOOOOOOOO. Knew you could do it.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Sun May 01, 2005 11:43 pm

thanks you guys! sorry i haven't been on in a while, things have been crazy with graduation, finally choosing a college, and moving to miami. hope everyone is doing well!

peace!
Lori :D
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 01, 2005 11:45 pm

Peepers PV wrote:thanks you guys! sorry i haven't been on in a while, things have been crazy with graduation, finally choosing a college, and moving to miami. hope everyone is doing well!

peace!
Lori :D

What college did you choose? Miami?

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Sun May 01, 2005 11:48 pm

i will let you know the day it's been finalized ;)
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Congratulations

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Hey Lori, this is "Charlie from Wisconsin's" dad from Reno -- we sat with you at the Elite Vault show. It sounds like you had another great year. Congratulations!!! and good luck with college vaulting.

Charlie had a very good year too. He improved his PR from 10' as a freshman last year to 13' this year as a sophomore and was the only sophomore who qualified for the WI Division 1 State Meet last weekend.

Thanks again to you and the other PVC kids for looking out for Charlie in Reno.
May the Force be with you!

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:39 pm

that's so awesome, and 13!- quite noteworthy as a sophomore :D ! Charlie has a great future ahead of him, and a really supportive dad. good luck to you both in the next few years :yes: ! thanks for the comments, and hopefully, i'll be seeing you guys at a meet sometime soon.

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:30 am

Good job, Lori! Three state titles in a row...very impressive!! My friend Rhiannon did that over in Alabama a couple of years back. No small task, lemme tell ya! Hope we see some big vaults out of you in college! :yes:
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”