Walker Eyes Bubka's World Record

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Walker Eyes Bubka's World Record

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:00 pm

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h92 ... CMI7lcnORg

World pole vault champ Walker eyes Bubka's world record
1 day ago
EUGENE, Oregon (AFP) — Reigning world champion Brad Walker led qualifying Friday for the US Olympic Track and Field Trials pole vault final, where he might make his next attack upon Sergey Bubka's world record.
Walker, whose American record clearance of 6.04 meters here at the Prefontaine Classic three weeks ago was a 2008 world best, led qualifiers for Sunday's final by clearing 5.60m.
In his earlier victory at Hayward Field, Walker failed in three attempts to clear 6.16 and break the world record of 6.14 set by Ukraine star Bubka in 1994 at Sestriere. He would not mind having another chance at the height on Sunday.
"I don't think I've given 6.16 the kind of look I can give it," Walker said. "Ten centimeters isn't that much. If I'm on the right pole doing the right things I'm pretty confident about my chances for success."
Walker is certain he can improve upon his US mark as he attempts to secure his berth at the Beijing Olympics.
"My 6.04 jump, that technically wasn't my best I've ever executed," Walker said. "To be honest I didn't think I made the bar as I was going up in the air. I gave it one last shot."
Walker recalled the cheering crowd - "it was pretty crazy" - as he made his record bid and the thoughts running through his mind.
"When you put the bar up to the world record, unlike any other event, you look at the world record and you either make it or you don't," Walker said.
"You are staring the world record in the face. You are going after it. It's a different experience. The more experience I have looking at 6.16, the better off I will be in the long run going after it."
Walker, second at the world indoor championship, sees clearing his mind as critical to producing a peak performance here and in Beijing.
"The person who is willing to risk the most is able to come out with the highest jump," he said.
"Running in there without second guessing yourself without being worried about what bad things could happen, it opens up mentally some new doors and some good things can come out."
A failure Sunday would end Walker's Beijing dreams. That's why he has planned his training to peak this weekend rather than in China.
"If you don't make it through the trials, you don't make it to the Olympics. Holding back to the Olympics, it just can't happen right now. I go in there knowing if I perfectly execute things I can get through," Walker said.
"When you start putting these trials as this huge daunting task, you are dealing with something that's a hard thing to follow. If you focus on the task at hand, you can block out some of the pressures.
"We have all high confidence levels through our performances, knowing that confidence alone can't get you through."

pvking99
PV Newbie

Unread postby pvking99 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:43 pm

I still don't think Brad's close to breaking the record, I mean, he just doesn'y look at the free take-off philosophy the way Bubka did. That;s what made Bubka such a great vaulter, he tried for a FT everytime he vaulted.
Be like Bubka.

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 pm

pvking99. I think you are right about Bubka being a great vaulter and using the "free takeoff", but you also have to remember that Bubka should have vaulted around 6.40m..not 6.15m. Therefore with Brad's speed, pole size, and his takeoff, which is very very good he will break the world record.

Go Brad!!

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:12 pm

i don't remember the exact quote but I heard Petrov say something along the lines of " Walker is the closest thing I have seen compared to bubka"

If true- That might mean something...
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:28 pm

"Running in there without second guessing yourself without being worried about what bad things could happen, it opens up mentally some new doors and some good things can come out."

-what a great quote.

I would argue that the PV world record stares you the hardest in the face, but that high jump can stare you in the face too. The only difference is that it rarely DROPS you on your face.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:06 pm

Considering Walker's height progression over the years and his recent consistency at big heights in the past few years (not counting the trials), I believe he does have a legitimate shot at the world record.

It was said in another thread that the next vaulter to jump 20+ will have a career day on a fast runway with a tailwind.

pvking99
PV Newbie

Unread postby pvking99 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:29 pm

You're right about Bubka in that stance. I have no doubt in my mind he would have set a much higher record(At least by a couple of inches) had it not been for his tendon, I just hope Brad doesn't go an get injured as hard as he's trying. We as vaulters do seem to get injured alot, no matter how smart we are.
Be like Bubka.

B-town pvc
PV Newbie

Unread postby B-town pvc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:03 am

I sat right beside Brads parents and relatives at the American Outdoor Championships In Indiana and by the way they talked about how Brad is jumping and training himself I honestly believe he is going to break it soon.....Watching him jump at Reno the past two years and at the Outdoor Championships he does have the better plant and rip off than anyone else right now

pvking99
PV Newbie

Unread postby pvking99 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:01 am

I am pleased to know walker's emphasis is on the ground. So many vault for the sky these days if you know what I mean.
Be like Bubka.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

I dont think i know what you mean? Are you referring to his training or technical model?
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Sebes
PV Whiz

Walker, Texas Ranger.

Unread postby Sebes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:15 am

pvking99 wrote:I am pleased to know walker's emphasis is on the ground. So many vault for the sky these days if you know what I mean.

I think he's saying that much of Walker's results can be attributed to his strength training, running workouts, etc.

Regarding the free take-off issue...I think Walker would jump higher if he had one because he looks a bit under at take-off. But there are other areas within the vault that can compensate for that....like that size of the pole he's jumping on...it's huge!

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”