US PV Tour 2009

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: US PV Tour 2009

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:46 pm

VaultPurple wrote:If it is in a parking lot, how can you charge admission? Would it just turn out like a "Big" sponsored street or beach vault.

Ive always thought teams "kinda" are what we need to promote track and field as a whole. This would give more people an oppertunity to turn pro, and would bring in more money for the sport with several "dule-tri" tyle meets where the same guys are not running against each other at every meet. Then just come together at he end of season... like college. I mean we have a hudred or so colleges with deciently good guys on the teams, that could be broken down to say 16-20 teams of pro caliber athleats.

If UFC can do it anybody can. Expecialy since there are so many high school track athleats that would go watch if it was close enough because they can relate because track is one of top participaed in sports.

They would basically build a mini stadium in the parking lot. The idea is to have 10 teams of 6 vaulters. So each team would have a super star like a Brad Walker or Derek Miles and it would dip down into the more emerging elites.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
VaultPurple wrote:If it is in a parking lot, how can you charge admission? Would it just turn out like a "Big" sponsored street or beach vault.

Ive always thought teams "kinda" are what we need to promote track and field as a whole. This would give more people an oppertunity to turn pro, and would bring in more money for the sport with several "dule-tri" tyle meets where the same guys are not running against each other at every meet. Then just come together at he end of season... like college. I mean we have a hudred or so colleges with deciently good guys on the teams, that could be broken down to say 16-20 teams of pro caliber athleats.

If UFC can do it anybody can. Expecialy since there are so many high school track athleats that would go watch if it was close enough because they can relate because track is one of top participaed in sports.

They would basically build a mini stadium in the parking lot. The idea is to have 10 teams of 6 vaulters. So each team would have a super star like a Brad Walker or Derek Miles and it would dip down into the more emerging elites.

That is correct, as I understand it. The stadium will travel in several trucks and go from place to place.

SBush
PV Newbie

Unread postby SBush » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:12 pm

It sounds very similar to what the AVP does, setting up a stadium each week during their tour on a beach and bringing in nice sized audiences and getting on national television.

realitycheck
PV Beginner

Unread postby realitycheck » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:19 pm

in reading how the teams and scoring will work i do not understand and i am a vaulter and coach.if i can not understand as a vaulter how can the general public. this has been attempted before several times to no sucess.i feel you must leave the event in its original form for that is pole vaulting.1-must have huge start up cost 2-must have tv,if it doesnt happen on tv it didnt happen.3-it must be a show as much as a competition.4-just as any world class meet only a few vaulters are recongnizable to the general public draglia,walker and maybe a few others,they must be invovled in order to draw people in and that cost money.5-the cost of a crew with 18 wheelers travelling and setting up over 6 wks is tremendous.insurence! i do feel this can be done as long as usatf does not become a factor which they will with some kind of limitations. I support the idea but it will take a great motivator and bsically a millionare to pull it off. But it can be done.keep it in its traditional form though and jump it like a street vault

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:35 pm

realitycheck wrote:in reading how the teams and scoring will work i do not understand and i am a vaulter and coach.if i can not understand as a vaulter how can the general public. this has been attempted before several times to no sucess.i feel you must leave the event in its original form for that is pole vaulting.1-must have huge start up cost 2-must have tv,if it doesnt happen on tv it didnt happen.3-it must be a show as much as a competition.4-just as any world class meet only a few vaulters are recongnizable to the general public draglia,walker and maybe a few others,they must be invovled in order to draw people in and that cost money.5-the cost of a crew with 18 wheelers travelling and setting up over 6 wks is tremendous.insurence! i do feel this can be done as long as usatf does not become a factor which they will with some kind of limitations. I support the idea but it will take a great motivator and bsically a millionare to pull it off. But it can be done.keep it in its traditional form though and jump it like a street vault

The scoring format isn't finalized yet, which is why I was a little vague about it. When it is finalized, it will be easy to understand for the non-track and field fan. Easier to understand than a normal pole vaulting competition.

They definitely plan to have TV. I don't know how they plan to make that happen.

It will be more of a show than a competition with the non-traditional format.

All of the big vaulters are on board (OK I can't speak for Jenn since she wasn't in Reno, but all of our other big names were there). The sponsors don't want to do it unless they have the big names.

No plans for USATF to get involved that I've heard of. This is not a track and field event. The only way USATF would be involved is if they hold a sanctioned event in the facility to try and get marks that count.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 pm

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArti ... ID=3644194

Inside Track: Vaulters conceptualize domestic tour
Mon Jan 12, 2009 By Joe Battaglia / Universal Sports

Jenn Stuczynski and other elite U.S. pole vaulters could soon have a domestic tour to compete on.

If anyone knows how difficult it is to make it as a professional pole vaulter it's Jeff Hartwig.

“In order to stay involved in the sport coming out of college, there are basically two options," Hartwig said. "You’re either good enough to go on to the regular circuit where you can get a contract with the shoe companies and start to earn money based on your performances, or you get a job to support your pole vault habit and you’re basically a hobby pole vaulter until you get good enough. I had to work five years before I was able to start to make any money in the sport itself. That was the road I went down."

Now the two-time Olympian and four-time U.S. champion is trying to help ease that road for the current and next generations of vaulters. Hartwig, along with fellow American and 2001 World Indoor silver medalist Tye Harvey have proposed the United State Pole Vault Tour, a domestic circuit that would enhance the visibility of the sport and provide American vaulters with a viable arena in which to train, compete, and earn a living.

"Even though this tour would be unofficial in terms of the actual results, this would be the vaulters' job," Hartwig said. "Instead of working in a restaurant waiting tables for five or six hours a day at hours that aren’t convenient for good rest and recovery from training, now they would live and train as a full-time athlete and for 10 weekends a year they would be obligated to come support this tour."

The concept was presented to 25 of the nation's elite vaulters -- Jenn Stuczynski is the lone notable exception since she did not attend - in a closed-door meeting at the Pole Vault Summit in Reno, Nev. on Jan. 6 and was met with overwhelming approval. Among those in attendance were 2000 Olympic gold medalist Stacy Dragila, 2004 Olympic silver medalist Toby Stevenson and 2007 World Outdoor champ Brad Walker. Hartwig says the Tour has been tentatively scheduled to debut in June but is still very much in the planning stages.

"This is a concept in its infancy," Hartwig said. "At this point we don’t have any money, we don’t have any venues, and we don’t have any dates."
Hartwig, 40, said the idea of having a domestic tour is hardly new, but it just took a lot longer to bring it to fruition.

"We’ve talked about it for years," he said. "I think four generations of pole vaulters have said, ‘Wouldn’t it be great to have a circuit?’ Unfortunately by the time people that have enough knowledge about the sport become available to work on it - I know as a competing athlete that you just don’t have the time or the energy to commit to something like this -- they’re back to searching for ways to make a living."

Pole vault street meets are incredibly popular in Europe, where the competition is conductive in a festive atmosphere similar to a beach volleyball tournament. While the USPV Tour would look to embrace the entertainment aspect of a street meet, Hartwig said the competitive part of the event would less resemble the street meets, like Sergei Bubka's Stars Meet in Donyetsk, Ukraine, or the meet in Aachen, Germany that served as his Hartwig’s competitive farewell in September. While those popular events are traditional pole vault competitions with sanctioned officials and conventional bar height progression, the USPV Tour will be a team-oriented exhibition not sanctioned by IAAF or USATF.

The Tour would be comprised of 10 mixed-gender teams comprised of six athletes competing over two days. The first day would be a team qualifier where each athlete would be given two to three jumps and the cumulative heights of each team would be used for seeding the team competition the next day, when the top two male and females on each team would compete. Athletes would be able to set the bar at whatever height they choose, meaning marks would not be considered legal by IAAF regulations.

"The format flies in the face of a lot of things that are involved in the pole vault," Hartwig said. "It’s still in the best interest of the pole vaulters to support it because it’s a way for them to earn money without monopolizing their time. Athletes will still be training toward things like world championships, Olympic Games, and national championships. A good way to describe it is like the Ice Capades for professional figure skaters. It’s just going to be a show using the pole vault as the main source of entertainment."

Hartwig points out that many obstacles remain, the biggest being securing the requisite start-up capital.

“To bring in 50 or 60 pole vaulters, to set up a venue that would seat 3,000 or 4,000 people, you're probably talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars per event,” Hartwig said. “You can’t get the money until you’ve got the athletes on board. At the same time, athletes want to know up front how much money they’re going to make before they sign on to support anything."

If there is one thing the USPV Tour has, it's athlete support.

“I’d love to be a part of the tour. I’m in 100 percent,” Stevenson said in a statement. “It’s about time for something like this for pole vaulting. Either you reinvent yourself for today’s audience or you don’t exist. And that’s what pole vaulting is doing with the tour.”

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”