Jammin' & Jumpin' - Schwartz 14-4, Ryland 18-0

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

smtrackclub
PV Fan

Jammin' & Jumpin' - Schwartz 14-4, Ryland 18-0

Unread postby smtrackclub » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 am

Schwartz wins Street Vault

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/a ... eet-vault/

As the lone female competitor against a group of men, Jillian Schwartz stood out in Saturday's Jammin' and Jumpin' Street Vault.

When the sun finally set on the Henderson riverfront, Schwartz was standing out even more as the winner of the pro-elite division of the third annual event.

The 2004 Olympian cleared 14-4 to win the third annual street vault with the 4-foot differential granted the female competitors.

"I was the runner-up last year. We had a bigger turnout this year. It was a great competition," said Schwartz, who is a native of Lake Forest, Ill., but has lived in Jonesboro, Ark., for the past eight years. "This facility is great. I can't ask for anything better. I just wish there were more girls here. There were a couple of more planning to come, but it didn't work out. It's a shame because they do a great job of running this. It's a first-class event."

Schwartz beat her fellow Jonesboro-based Bell Athletics teammate Daniel Ryland by four inches to claim the $1,250 top prize.

Ryland, a native of West Texas who now also calls Jonesboro home, had the day's highest vault as the only competitor to clear 18-0 but could not make up the 4-feet spotted to Schwartz.

"Jillian jumped great today. She is arguably the second-best female vaulter in the country and has been for several years," said Ryland, who earned $800 for his second-place effort. "I was trying to work on some different things and starting from a short run-up. I was not really worried about where I placed. Where I placed was where I placed."

Ryland, who was one of four vaulters still alive at 18-0, cleared his second attempt at that height. With the remainder of the male competitors on the sidelines, the bar moved to 18-5 to give Ryland a shot at surpassing Schwartz. He missed on all three attempts.

"Jillian finished second here last year. She deserved to win it this time," said Ryland, who was competing in Henderson for the first time.

"I wish I could have got one more bar," said Schwartz, who was a three-time All-American at Duke. "I just got back from Europe where I competed for five weeks. I stayed around here all afternoon and didn't get a nap. So I was a little bit tired. Considering all of that, I'm pleased with how I performed."

Jacob Pauli of Waterloo, Iowa, took third place and $500. Mark Hollis of South Bend, Ind., claimed the fourth-place prize of $300, while Jeff Fairbanks of Manitou Beach, Mich., took fifth and $150. All three cleared 17-6.

Winners of the other divisions were:

Men's College: Will Haer, first, 14-6; Kemper Kellerstrass, second, 14-6; Lance Liggett, third, 13-6; T.J. O'Donnell, fourth, 11-6.

Men's College Elite: Michael Seaman, first, 15-0.

Men's Masters: Gary Hunter, first, 15-0; Jamie Steffen, second, 12-6; Tony Krampe, third, 12-0; Bob Banhagel, fourth, 10-0.

Boys 17-18: Jacob Sebastian, first, 14-0; Cody Klein, second, 13-6; Michael Wanhainmen, third, 13-6.

Boys 15-16: Kyle Johnson, first, 13-0; Justin Mahoney, second, 10-0.

Boys 14-and-under: Cain Cooper, first, 8-6; Blake Marsee, second, 8-6; Mason Herrell, third, 8-0.

Women's Masters: Karen Rieger, first, 8-0; Brenda Babits, second, 7-0.

Women's College: Lynda Thiel, first, 12-0; Andrea Sabbatine, second, 11-0; Samantha Stenzel, third, 11-0; Lexi Barr, fourth, 10-0; Erin Wright, fifth, 9-0; Brandi Wright, sixth, 9-0.

Girls 17-18: Cassie Dunn, first, 9-6; Allison Hughes, second, 9-6.

Girls 14-and-under: Tori Hester, first, 7-0.

smtrackclub
PV Fan

Re: Jammin' & Jumpin' Street Vault article

Unread postby smtrackclub » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:02 am

Hartwig brings Olympic flavor to street vault

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/a ... eet-vault/

Saturday's Jammin' and Jumpin' Street Vault brought to town arguably America's greatest pole vaulter.

Two-time Olympian Jeff Hartwig didn't compete. The multi-time American record holder is now retired. But he was here to lend his support to the third annual event, visit with the competitors and led a hand to his fellow vaulters who train out of the Jonesboro, Ark.-based Bell Athletics.

Hartwig, who still holds the American indoor record at 19-9, went 12 years between his two Olympic appearances. He was a surprise when he made the 1996 team in Atlanta. After missing both the 2000 and 2004 Games when he was in his prime, Hartwig made an astonishing return to the Olympics in Beijing as a 40-year-old.

"I had originally intended to retire in 2007," said Hartwig, who finished the year ranked seventh in the world. "I knew that I couldn't quit. I put all of my energy into making the Olympic team."

Though he finished 14th in Beijing after an 11th place finish in '96, Hartwig said competing in the Olympics again was a special moment especially since it was basically the end of his career. He retired one month later, two days short of his 41st birthday.

"After the competition was over, the stadium was mostly empty. I just sat there on the field soaking it in," he said.

The St. Charles, Mo., native says his Olympic experience was "the best of both worlds."

"There was nothing like walking around Atlanta wearing USA gear representing the USA on American soil. I remember walking into the stadium with 85,000 people screaming. After I jumped, I looked up and saw my face on the huge screen. They're all cheering for me. They don't know my name. They're just cheering for me because I'm from America.

"But I didn't get the bonding experience like I did last year in Beijing. Ninety percent of the athletes stayed in the village. Everybody there had a common goal," he said.

Hartwig's résumé goes well beyond the Olympics. He set the American record in the event seven times and was the first American to clear 6 meters (19-8 1/2). Hartwig competed in the world championships seven times and was the silver medalist in 1999.

Hartwig has managed to make a living as a pole vaulter. "That's what I put on my tax return. Where it says 'occupation,' I put 'pole vaulter.' I love being able to do that."

In addition to traditional pole vault events at track meet, Hartwig has competed in street vaults like the one Saturday in Henderson.

"Over the last five years, I've competed in Europe and half of the events I've competed in have been like this. They've been in bullfighting rings, shopping malls and airports. It's good for the sport because it attracts different types of spectators," he said.

Like Hartwig, Daniel Ryland sees street events taking the sport to new heights. "I compare these street meets to professional bull riding. We're a stand-alone event. It has enough of the daredevil aspect to draw a crowd," said Ryland, who was the runner-up at Saturday's meet.

"Nothing against the other track and field events, but I wouldn't care if ever competed in another stadium event again," said Ryland, who was a decathlete and sprinter in college. "These street events are much more exciting."

Ryland sees the local event continuing to grow. "It's a class event," said the West Texas native who was making his first appearance in the Henderson vault. "The runway (which is a wooden platform) is unbelievably smooth."

smtrackclub
PV Fan

Re: Jammin' & Jumpin' Pro-Elite Results

Unread postby smtrackclub » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Spottsville Monsters Track Club - 8/8/2009 to 8/9/2009
Jammin' and Jumpin'
Henderson, KY
Results

Pole Vault Pro Elite
================================================================
Name Year Team Finals
================================================================