Derek Miles interview

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

PV Official
PV Nerd
Expertise: USATF Master Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Derek Miles interview

Unread postby PV Official » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/lifesty ... 1a63f.html

Olympic experience gives athletes 'tingle in the neck'
Story Discussion By Nick Hytrek - nhytrek@siouxcityjournal.com | Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size VERMILLION, S.D. -- Derek Miles can empathize with the skiers, skaters and other athletes who will battle more than just other competitors during the next two weeks at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Though Miles competed in the summer Olympics -- twice -- he said he imagines that winter Olympians probably experience many of the same thrills he did.

A Sacramento, Calif., native, Miles attended the University of South Dakota, competing in the pole vault for the Coyote track and field team. After his graduation in 1996, Miles continued to train and compete. He has become one of the top pole vaulters in the United States, making the U.S. Olympic team for both the 2004 Olympics in Athens and the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Miles placed seventh in Athens and just missed winning a bronze medal by placing fourth in Beijing.

Miles continues to train in Vermillion. He's also an assistant coach at USD, working with the vaulters and jumpers.

He took a few minutes while traveling to a recent competition to talk about his Olympic experiences.

When you were growing up, did you dream of competing in the Olympics?

Not really. I didn't have any of those kinds of thoughts. It seemed so far off. I wasn't even sure what that involved. I never really thought much about the Olympics until I had a great Olympic Trials in 2000 and was named an alternate for the Olympics.

What's it like competing in the Olympics?

I think everybody has a different experience. My two were difference experiences. The first was more like a tourist, take it all in and jump the best I could. The second was a much more work-like experience. For the most part, I was fairly focused on preparing myself to be a medalist.

How does competing in the Olympics differ from competing in the World Championships or other big meets?

For us, the World Championships and the Olympics are very similar in terms of the competition and what it takes to medal. But the focus of society and the world pays more attention to the Olympics, and you start to buy into that hype. Anything that's more sought after or rare, you tend to want more.

Does the atmosphere at the Olympics differ a lot from those big meets?

When you get there, you definitely sense the difference. It builds your energy.

Besides competing, what's the best part of being an athlete at the Olympics?

Everybody is much more bonded with their teammates. If you're in the Olympic village and see someone with a USA shirt on, you feel, no matter what sport they're in, you can sit down and talk to them. That team unifying is a unique experience where you get that sense that everyone's there together.

Have you ever been to the Winter Olympics?

No, I have not.

Would you like to go?

I would like to. It would definitely be fun to take in a couple things and take in the energy. My wife and I have talked about trying to go up there for a couple days, but our schedules are so busy I don't know if it will work out.

Will you be watching on TV?

Oh yeah, for sure. I'll be hooked.

What's your favorite Winter Olympic sport?

I was always a big skier when I was growing up. The big downhill stuff is always fun for me to watch. Bobsled is always fun to watch. Those guys work so hard to get a thousandth of a second off their time. I can kind of identify with that and my search for an extra inch higher (in pole vaulting).

If you were a winter Olympian, what sport would you compete in?

Probably something that doesn't have me breathing very hard. I'm kind of a pansy when it comes to aerobic activity, so it would have to be something short and sweet.

How do you think the experience for winter Olympians compares to what summer Olympians experience?

Anytime that you train every day for multiple hours a day to achieve a goal, and then you achieve that goal, it's great for the athlete. Everybody's goals are different. It probably depends if the athlete's goal is just to make it to the Olympics or win a gold medal. I hope that everybody who gets to the Olympics takes a minute to drop their guard and experience the Olympics. I think everybody does, or should, get that tingle in their neck that says 'I'm at the Olympics.'

What's your favorite memory from the Olympics?

That's a tough one. I had some really good experiences with my family both times. One thing I'll never forget, I remember one specific time in the Athens Olympics. When I was on the (pole vault) runway and the Greek 400-meter hurdler was coming around the turn ... I was getting ready to go ... When that Greek girl came around the corner she was leading and pulling away and I don't think I've ever heard a stadium that loud. That was incredible just to feel that intensity.

Are you shooting for the summer games in London in 2012?

I'm going to just take it one year at a time. In 2012, if I'm healthy and competing well and I'm one of the three best U.S. athletes, I'll go and give it my best.

BREAKOUT 1

When pole vaulter Derek Miles makes it to the Olympics, he does well.

In his first Olympics in 2004 in Athens, Miles placed seventh. Four years later in Beijing, he placed fourth, just missing returning home with a bronze medal.

Posted in Local on Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:00 am | Tags: Vermillion, University Of South Dakota, South Dakota

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”