Darren Niedermeyer 5.71i

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

eleazar
PV Fan
Lifetime Best: 19'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Darren Niedermeyer 5.71i

Unread postby eleazar » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Darren Niedermeyer just jumed in a meet at Bell Athletics last night and he made 5.71 look silly...I have never seen this much raw horsepower on the runway...

On his first two attemps at 5.71 he was on a 5.20m 11.6 and decided to go to his 11.3 for his third attempt...left his standards on 80 and could have cleared a 55 gallon barrel at 18'9" with his peak at least 10cm behind the cross bar.

He was staying at my house for the past week and had told me that he made a bigger bar in training a couple of weeks ago using his 5.20m 10.9, and on his final attempt he needed that pole, as he hit 57'6" on his mid holding about 16'8" took off at 14'4" and made our olympic size pit look like a high jump pit.

With really only two major pole vault contenders in the world scene right now, I sure think it would do justice to the world of pole vault to see him in the next mens Diamond League event and see how many heads he could turn... as far as I could tell, he is not afraid, and I could see him going to the 10.9 and going 6+ meters

Daniel Ryland

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Re: Darren Niedermeyer 5.71

Unread postby VaultLove » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:03 pm

That would be nice. However, not bloody likely unless he rolls out USA Champs well over 5.80. Nothing is impossible. Go Darren 5.85!!!

eleazar wrote:Darren Niedermeyer just jumed in a meet at Bell Athletics last night and he made 5.71 look silly...I have never seen this much raw horsepower on the runway...

With really only two major pole vault contenders in the world scene right now, I sure think it would do justice to the world of pole vault to see him in the next mens Diamond League event and see how many heads he could turn... as far as I could tell, he is not afraid, and I could see him going to the 10.9 and going 6+ meters

Daniel Ryland

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Darren Niedermeyer 5.71i

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 pm

The European meets won't take it too seriously until he backs up the performance at a major outdoor meet, but we all know Darren has plenty of gas left in the tank.

Tim Mack had some great meets at Bell Athletics in 2004, right before he went on to make the Olympic Team, win the Olympics, and jump 6.01m.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Yes, I do believe several of your college guys have identical marks? And of course, they were at least outdoors. It would be good if he does indeed step up

rainbowgirl28 wrote:The European meets won't take it too seriously until he backs up the performance at a major outdoor meet, but we all know Darren has plenty of gas left in the tank.

Tim Mack had some great meets at Bell Athletics in 2004, right before he went on to make the Olympic Team, win the Olympics, and jump 6.01m.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:12 pm

VaultLove wrote:Yes, I do believe several of your college guys have identical marks? And of course, they were at least outdoors. It would be good if he does indeed step up

rainbowgirl28 wrote:The European meets won't take it too seriously until he backs up the performance at a major outdoor meet, but we all know Darren has plenty of gas left in the tank.

Before you call people out like this you really need to learn what this sport is about post collegiate. Once you leave college the comfy umbrella is taken off and your on your own to survive. Let's see how many of the college vaulters this year make it as long as Darren has after college. Lets see how many of the Juniors from other countries actually make it.

From the sounds of it I now think your foreign... Which Country if you don't mind me asking. Despite the fact we have more pits and poles available to us. Your training facilities and overall set up for pole vaulters make ours look like nothing. Your club systems extends into professional most of ours struggle to survive. Come survive for a year as a post collegiate vaulter in the US and than tell me what you really think.

Congrats on the New PR Darren see you in Des Moines, Iowa.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:44 pm

What's interesting is that other athletes have worked jobs and performed at a high level. Chad Harting, Tye Harvey worked. Derek Miles has worked during his entire career. I'm not convinced that if I dished out respectful $ to post collegiates that I would be guaranteed success?

In recent years, Walker, Buller and Skipper were the only vaulters who were 19ft. + collegians

ADTF Academy wrote:
VaultLove wrote:Yes, I do believe several of your college guys have identical marks? And of course, they were at least outdoors. It would be good if he does indeed step up

Once you leave college the comfy umbrella is taken off and your on your own to survive. Let's see how many of the college vaulters this year make it as long as Darren has after college. Lets see how many of the Juniors from other countries actually make it.

From the sounds of it I now think your foreign... Which Country if you don't mind me asking. Despite the fact we have more pits and poles available to us. Your training facilities and overall set up for pole vaulters make ours look like nothing. Your club systems extends into professional most of ours struggle to survive. Come survive for a year as a post collegiate vaulter in the US and than tell me what you really think.

Congrats on the New PR Darren see you in Des Moines, Iowa.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:31 pm

KLocke wrote:What's interesting is that other athletes have worked jobs and performed at a high level. Chad Harting, Tye Harvey worked. Derek Miles has worked during his entire career. I'm not convinced that if I dished out respectful $ to post collegiates that I would be guaranteed success?

In recent years, Walker, Buller and Skipper were the only vaulters who were 19ft. + collegians

Can you be guaranteed with any athlete that a contract leads to success? Sprinter, Hurdler, Thrower or Jumper.

I will bet those that have worked their tails off in the trenches for 3-4 years will in the end have a better chance of making it than those that are given everything coming out of college. There is no answer to this issue. Is simply a game of survival and hope you get your chance. When you do you better not blow it you never know when the next one will come.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:23 pm

There are some useful/consistent statistics in America regarding sucess. I will check the fact. At Beijing in 2008, I believe that 70% of the sprint medals came from (2) Los Angeles based coaches. I do think we have a good gauge in pole vault. America has podium coaches who have paved the way for athletes who medal: Suhr, Hull,Neilsen,Johnson,Bell,Licari

ADTF Academy wrote:Can you be guaranteed with any athlete that a contract leads to success? Sprinter, Hurdler, Thrower or Jumper.

I will bet those that have worked their tails off in the trenches for 3-4 years will in the end have a better chance of making it than those that are given everything coming out of college. There is no answer to this issue. Is simply a game of survival and hope you get your chance. When you do you better not blow it you never know when the next one will come.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”