USATF National Champs.. ha..ha..ha..ha

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

USATF National Champs.. ha..ha..ha..ha

Unread postby dj » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 pm

un-believable.........

track and field is dead.. especially field..

ZERO “0” respect….

USATF is a none entity… fire them all..

pathetic coverage and then no coverage.. for a no hitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

in my 40 years I just can’t believe it has continued to get worse and more laughable…

no field event coverage… or commentators that don’t have a clue… show “paint drying” in two 5000 meter runs.. show numerous repeats of the sprints with interviews AND the slow walk from the track.. and still no fileld events!!!

OMG.. sad sad day…

dj

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Re: USATF National Champs.. ha..ha..ha..ha

Unread postby SlickVT » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd rather watch a no-hitter than the 5000. Or replays of the women's 5000 after the women's 5000.

We are watching the death of our sport... its sad.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:54 am

I think pole vaulting in some form or fashion will always be around, even if the sport dies. There is more passion in this one event than in the entire sport. It's not like we're getting any money from it so why wouldn't we continue do it? We pay our own way anyway. Granted we would lose the masses of new kids becoming interested, but we would survive. I'm always asked why I do this and my response puts it perspective, "some people golf, some people surf; I pole vault". Golfing and surfing don't need a big organization to survive for the normal participant and neither do we.

As a business guy I always look at my best and worst case, and then figure out how to work toward my best case, but also determine what is the minimum I would accept. If us going it alone is our worse case, I’m cool with that. It’s far from optimal but it could be done. Look how many events we already have that feature no other events? Nobody thought the X Games had a chance either. Food for thought. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Divalent » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Seems to be the general consensus all around.

http://ga.milesplit.us/forums/ga/topics/70963

But what do you expect with a network that devotes 10 times more air time to poker(!) than to a real sport.

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Bubba PV wrote:I think pole vaulting in some form or fashion will always be around, even if the sport dies. There is more passion in this one event than in the entire sport. It's not like we're getting any money from it so why wouldn't we continue do it? We pay our own way anyway. Granted we would lose the masses of new kids becoming interested, but we would survive. I'm always asked why I do this and my response puts it perspective, "some people golf, some people surf; I pole vault". Golfing and surfing don't need a big organization to survive for the normal participant and neither do we.

As a business guy I always look at my best and worst case, and then figure out how to work toward my best case, but also determine what is the minimum I would accept. If us going it alone is our worse case, I’m cool with that. It’s far from optimal but it could be done. Look how many events we already have that feature no other events? Nobody thought the X Games had a chance either. Food for thought. Bubba

I'm totally with you on that one Bubba!

It's a lot more difficult going it alone but it is possible. It will take longer to set up our own programs and we'll have to do everything ourselves but that won't make it impossible. And it's not like the sport is completely unmarketable, people are just don't cover cover it properly. Somebody - somewhere - is going to find a way to make money out of it by "re-popularizing" it.

Until that happens we need to stay completely self-sustainable. Hang in there! One of the negatives I see here in Australia is an over-reliance on government and sponsor funding. While neither of those is a bad thing (especially when you have them), programs will capitulate left and right if funding goes down. You're basically tied to a ball and chain you've really got no control over. If you stay self-sustainable, you not only give yourself a chance to keep going, but you'll also attract more funds by demonstrating to people that you are a responsible business and potentially profitable! One of my beliefs is that regardless of how bad things are, somebody - somewhere - doing something - is going to make a ton of money. The best thing to do is have that person see that your goose is laying golden eggs and they'll build you a huge farm. But if you can even build a farm yourself, then more power to you!

Survive. Adapt. Thrive.

Guys, never underestimate the power of private enterprise! :yes:

-Andrew

P.S. When I made that comment about Australia, I wasn't speaking about pole vault in particular. I'm talking about sporting and interest clubs in general - still relevant.
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”