Tuxedo Man Paul Litchfield needs help with medical expenses

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Tuxedo Man Paul Litchfield needs help with medical expenses

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:10 pm

In the words of Vince Lombardi, "I'll give up on you when you are perfect or you quit, and I don't associate with quitters". Of course you will make it. That's who you are. That's why we support you. Never look back unless you can say you gave it your best shot and then some. You have, are and will continue too. Congrats on the right decision and keep taking care of yourself! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Here's a little holiday fun from Paul :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq2Tq_tmYpo

The Archetype
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.30
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis

Unread postby The Archetype » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:44 am

I'm in for $40... Good luck Paul! BTW I love the Christmas training warmup!!
"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:28 pm

For those not following Paul's blog, you really should. The medical treatments have paid off, he's jumped over 18' for the first time since the 2008 Olympic Trials and qualified to USAs. Minnesota to Eugene is a pricy trip, you can help out by buying one of his sweet t-shirts: http://iamtuxedoman.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -usas.html

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Go get it Paul!
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:49 pm

http://www.theunion.com/article/2011061 ... ofile=1054

Litchfield makes nationals
Special to The Union

Share on Facebook Email Print Comment Recommend

ENLARGE
Paul Litchfield, mid-jump, wearing his trademark light blue tuxedo track suit.
Photo submitted to The Union by Rob Litchfield
Paul Litchfield, a graduate of Bear River and record-breaking pole vaulter at Idaho State University, qualified Monday for the Track and Field National Championships.

His jump of 18 feet 1 inch placed in the top five pole vaulters in the nation, earning him a spot in the championships on June 25 in Eugene, Ore.

Litchfield, who is recovering from a broken back, has not jumped higher than 18 feet since competing at the Olympic trials three years ago. He has not been back to the trials or the National Championships since breaking his back.

Told his career was over after the injury, he refused to quit and has climbed back into the nation's elite group of pole vaulters. He trains with world champion pole vaulter Stacy Dragila. An Auburn native, Dragila won gold in the pole vault in 2000 at the Sydney Olympics.

Paul Litchfield's father, Bob Litchfield, is a Nevada County attorney, who has written four inspirational books, including “That's Why They Call It Faith.”

“Paul has a faith that is even stronger than my own,” said Bob Litchfield. “For a father, life just doesn't get any better than that.”

Litchfield's mother, Suzi, works as a medical assistant at UC Davis Medical Center, and his younger brother, James, coaches men's pole vaulting at Boise State University in Idaho.

For information about Paul Litchfield, you can visit his blog, “Patience, pain and triumph,” at www.IAmTuxedoMan.Blogspot. com.

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 am

thanks for finding this article Becca. I guess they should have updated some of there old details from the database ;) Still flattered that they cared enough to write anything.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 pm

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/182027.html

Litchfield battles back
Bear River grad vaults again, aims for Olympics
By Sara Seyydin Journal Staff Writer

Courtesy
Bear River Graduate Paul Litchfield, who currently resides in Minneapolis, Minn., competed in the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships last week after recovering from a broken back. Litchfield often competes in pole vaulting uniform that resembles a tuxedo.

When Paul Litchfield broke his back, some people said he would never pole vault again.

His heart told him otherwise.

The Bear River graduate, who was a record-breaker at Idaho State University, qualified for the USA Track and Field National Championships in Eugene, Oregon last weekend. The 18 foot and 1 inch mark that got him there on June 13 was Litchfield’s final act of defiance to all of the naysayers.

“When you get injured everybody tells you you’re done,” Litchfield said. “When people tell me I can’t do something it motivates me that much higher. I don’t like being told what to do, especially when it comes to my body. One thing is if you are truly passionate about something, you will probably never give up on it”

Litchfield, 30, who now competes for Fuzion Athletics moved to Minneapolis, Minn. to train and coach at Fuzion’s indoor facility. He designed his own training regimen and worked with a physical therapist to recuperate his back. Work-outs consisted mainly of running in water, cycling on a stationary bike and using gymnastics rings to build strength. Going into the championships, Litchfield felt strong, but didn’t finish how he would have hoped.

“I didn’t clear a bar,” Litchfield said. “I’m surprisingly positive. I have no-heighted at major championships before and been emotionally crushed for weeks after. This time it’s a lot different because I am really proud of what I did to get there.”

Litchfield said that a moment of hesitation cost him in last weekend’s competition, but he has already set his sights on the future. Championships have only solidified his resolve to continue training.

“I really felt like I belonged there. I felt like I was good enough to be there and good enough to be on the podium,” Litchfield said. “I really feel like I could make the Olympic team.”

Going into the competition Paul’s father Bob Litchfield, of Auburn, said he was nervous that his son could get hurt again, but proud of how he has handled the adversity.

“Paul has a faith which is stronger than even my own,” Bob Litchfield said. “For a father life just doesn’t get any better than that.”

Paul’s coach Dave Neilsen, head track and field coach at Idaho State University said Paul has worked through injuries before.

“He has had to be his own doctor in a way,” Nielsen said. “He wasn’t just a pole vaulter. He was a conference champion in decathlon. He is a well-rounded athlete. He’s got a lot of fans and friends in Pocatello, Idaho, as he does in Auburn and Grass Valley.”

Litchfield, who often competes in pole vaulting uniform that resembles a tuxedo, does things on his own terms. He said that for other athletes having doubts about returning after injuries, tuning other people’s opinions out may be the best strategy.

“You have to make your own decision no matter what obstacles come your way,” Litchfield said. “Tell them to go to hell, because you can. If I can do it, then anybody can.”

Reach Sara Seyydin at saras@goldcountrymedia.com.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”