USATF Indoor Men - Hollis 5.60, Colwick, Quiller 5.40

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

old vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Vaulter. High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'4
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy McGrath

Re: USAs Live Webcast

Unread postby old vaulter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Second attempt miss for mark....not close I am told

old vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Vaulter. High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'4
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy McGrath

Unread postby old vaulter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Decent jump but a miss on his third attempt for your 2011 national indoor champion mark hollis

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Great job mark!! Pumped for ya buddy!! :)
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Mark won 2010 outdoors so he has back to back national championships! Way to go Mark!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for the coverage guys! I was out of town all day :)

I forget the specifics of the rule, but I think you have to tell them you are passing a certain height before they start the clock on your attempt. Something like that. It can be easy for communication errors to occur.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 pm

http://www.usatf.org/events/2011/USAInd ... s/32-1.asp for the full X's and Os

Men's Pole Vault - Final

View event records

Place Athlete Name Affiliation Mark
1 Mark Hollis unattached 5.60m 18-4 ½
2 Jason Colwick unattached 5.40m 17-8 ½
3 Rory Quiller unattached 5.40m 17-8 ½
4 Levi Keller Club Northwest 5.30m 17-4 ½
5 Nick Mossberg unattached 5.30m 17-4 ½
6 Whitney Neves unattached 5.20m 17-0 ¾
NH Jordan Scott unattached
NH Brad Walker Nike
NH Jeffrey Coover unattached

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:45 pm

And a big congratulations to Club Northwest pole vaulter Levi Keller, competing in his first USA National Championship! 4th place! :yes:

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:35 am

I was very excited to watch the webcast, but was disappointed once again with the inability of T&F broadcasts to show a legitimate amount of field events. They showed every lap of the 3K and 3K racewalk, while the mens PV, triple jump, and women's weight throw went unnoticed. Extremely painful coverage (except for commentator John Godina, who was hilarious, and kept lobbying for showing more field events)

Especially screwed was the PV coverage, as they showed only the early jumps and somehow missed every single important jump of the meet.

Everyone should email runnerspace.com and usatf to tell them that you'd like to see more PV. Maybe if they get 1000 emails, something will change. I sent a message to their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/RunnerSpace
Even despite the poor coverage of the PV, I believe that these webcasts are the future of T&F broadcasting, and would like to see them continue (with improvements).

Tom

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:45 am

USATF Release:
Hollis wins first U.S. Indoor title

2010 U.S. Outdoor champion Mark Hollis had little difficulty in posting his first ever national indoor pole vault title.

Hollis, who finished seventh here last year, cleared 5.60 meters/18 feet 4.50 inches for the victory, which easily surpassed runner-up and 2009 NCAA Outdoor champion Jason Colwick’s best of 5.40m/17-8.50. Rory Quiller finished third, equaling Colwick’s best clearance. USA Outdoor record holder Brad Walker and 2010 NCAA Outdoor champion Jordan Scott each failed to clear a height.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 am

You may wish to complain about the webcast. However, while speaking to a colleague who produces for a major television outlet, he explains that the 3k was especially interesting as it featured head to head record holders.

He also made a point that if he were producing, 19 feet jumps would be interesting for viewing as would Brad Walker. Mr. Godina did focus on Walker which makes sense if 19 feet is indeed the TV viewing benchmark.

My colleague also notes that the most of general viewing population can run or walk and few can pole vault. He says, Jenn should get airtime if she's jumping and that Suhr is particularly interesting as she's previously won the Visa challenge. Keywords- Visa, American Record

Lastly, he says, Jeremy Scott is also of interest to viewers because he has a story. He's tall

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:41 pm

hye

It's very interesting that European broad cast cover it all….

They don't have to deal with NFL, NBA, MLB or even university football, basketball or baseball mentalities!!!

It's all in how you/we are "brain washed"… if you never see it, IT never exists, so therefore you don't ask, don't miss it and don't know to ask.

It's very interesting that way back in 1988 when I decided to do the first beach pole vault that every company that I contacted had someone high up in the business that had a "positive" story to tell about their experience with track and field.. high school or college. That included companies like Chrysler, Ted Turner (who had already gotten involved) and Southwest Airlines CMO was a 400 meter runner from SMU in Dallas. The gentle man at Crysler had put the shot in high school just as a way to stay in shape for football but got bad knees from football and couldn't throw the shot his senior year.

It's there no one in Track and Field that has the time and/or energy or is it just not important to USATF to do anything about it.. the bosses want what they want or what they feel will "smuz" the advertisers and we get lap after lap of paint drying.?? Cut and paste field events in and replay interesting points and the start- finish..done

You have a less viewed programs because the coverage CANNOT create an intersting "show"……….. Nike gets their shoes from wire to wire... hope they pay the bills

it's one of those chicken and egg" things... the advertiser will out "posture you" with 'it's a minor sport until you give away your product without enough money to pay for a quality product... so they pull us right down where they want us... the newspapers have done that to track for my coaching life time.. i beat them in a few markets but not all....

Doesn't Nike sponsor pole vaulters? Is Visa used by pole vaulters? I have one in my pocket.
USATF shouldn't get the mail the sponsors should get the mail and a lot of it…

Europe creates an interesting, exciting program and let's the advertisers come to them, the way it should be. Not vice versa..

Yes we have to do better than 5.60 to get interest… but nothing is going to work as long as the tail is wagging the dog.

USATF needs their own Cable broadcast Station and promote all track and field, US and worldwide then they could but a marketable image.

Maybe in some of you 20 something's life times…

dj

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Interesting that your raise this idea. Not! at the moment, The two largest German networks will block out Daegu, World Champs. I think a deal will be reached. Bottom line! It's not 1988. The recession is real. bummer, indeed

[quote="dj"]hye

It's very interesting that European broad cast cover it all….

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”