Brad Walker does not fear failure

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Brad Walker does not fear failure

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:47 am

From Facebook:

Failure. I've said this about my Olympic performance and everybody keeps saying that I didn't fail. Why has the word failure become such a no no. If I had a silver medal around my neck, I would have failed to reach gold. Failure to me is an acceptable outcome. I have prepared for this meet to the absolute best of my ability. Sacrificed more then most people know or realize. But for those very same reasons, this failure is perfectly okay. I didn't give up. I didn't cut corners, or stop working my a** off when no one was around. I would gladly FAIL pushing the limits of my training then continuing to use the SAFE workouts. I will gladly fail fighting for the gold, then safely receiving silver. In the pole vault we almost always leave the track failing the last three attempts at every meet. Failing is not the enemy, not giving your all is. I will continue to fail at things the rest of my life, but by no means will I ever say that I am
a failure.

There was a quote in the 4th floor of our building. It was from Michael Jordan and the last line of the quote was as I remember,

"I have failed many times in my career which is the reason I succeed."

Please don't fear failure. I don't. I fear the thought of not pursuing my dreams or pushing my personal limits. And I won't fail in that arena.

Thank you for all your support. I love you guys.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Brad Walker does not fear failure

Unread postby fishman4god » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Nice, and after all that is the right attitude......all or nothing.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 pm

I saw this on Facebook and it made me an even bigger fan! That last attempt was just heartbreaking!!
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Should show that quote to Nike and remind them why he deserves to keep those bright yellow spikes. Maybe they can make an inspirational video for youtube or something. This post sounds sarcastic, but I really do respect what he said and think all vaulters should have that opinion.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm

In today's world of participation trophies for everyone I was so glad to see this from him. Wish more people would teach their kids its ok to fail every now and then, just never stop trying.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 am

CowtownPV wrote:In today's world of participation trophies for everyone I was so glad to see this from him. Wish more people would teach their kids its ok to fail every now and then, just never stop trying.

Indeed!

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”