Pole Vaulting in Baltimore

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Pole Vaulting in Baltimore

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:00 am

Let's just say the coach I met was not so 'Petrov savvy'... And that doesn't necessarily make someone a bad coach, but I'll be PMing you about UMBC stuff anyway, so I'll tell you the whole story there! What happened disturbed me deeply!
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

primetime614
PV Wannabe
Expertise: "Soul" Vaulter - choose academics over athletics in college :/

Unread postby primetime614 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:26 am

on your horror story i got to say this

unless you are learning from thee best there is...

take what you can from each coach or club and dont get caught up. no coach is perfect each has thier flaws, or things that might not work best for you.

example: i went to this one coach and they set the standards back at like 40 for everybody, and thats good for like begineers and other people, but for be it set me back a very long time. instead of coming up off the pole i started going out off the pole toward the bungee, i never quite fixed it, i peobably could have gone much higher if i had noticed this earlier or avoided it all togeather.
PR: 13'6"
Dist. Runner: Hey, are you ganna win today?
Me: What else would I do Lose!?!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm

take what you can from each coach or club and dont get caught up. no coach is perfect each has thier flaws, or things that might not work best for you.

Agreed. But you simply don't know what happened... I learned a lot in my little visit, actually. I find that you can learn just as much (if not more) from bad coaching as you can from good coaching. :yes:

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat May 16, 2009 5:00 pm

As long as they let me do sand vaults and the drills i want to, ill be happy! I will tell them what i am striving for and they can choose to help me or not. A "summer coach" is like having a "summer wife".... theres only so much you two can accomplish in that time, and theres no reason you have to see eye to eye for the rest of your lives to get stuff done.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Martin
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Unread postby Martin » Sun May 17, 2009 8:28 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:As long as they let me do sand vaults and the drills i want to, ill be happy! I will tell them what i am striving for and they can choose to help me or not. A "summer coach" is like having a "summer wife".... theres only so much you two can accomplish in that time, and theres no reason you have to see eye to eye for the rest of your lives to get stuff done.

Hey, where do you jump @?
UMBC
Central AZ College/2008 outdoor njcaa national champion;
PVCC
CGUHS /2006 AZ state champion

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Mon May 18, 2009 10:17 am

Marty where were you on Wednesday you jerk! I thought you wanted to vault?
-Nick

Martin
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Unread postby Martin » Mon May 18, 2009 4:44 pm

I thought you said thurs!!!
UMBC
Central AZ College/2008 outdoor njcaa national champion;
PVCC
CGUHS /2006 AZ state champion

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Sorry I keep asking this, but WHAT'S THE PLAN? :confused:

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Wed May 20, 2009 2:48 pm

I've said this before but there is no plan right now!! The college and high school seasons are still going on, I'm trying to find a job, I'm I've been chatting with two college vaulter's who are both friends of mine. I would like to start a club sometime, hopefully this summer, but if you haven't noticed it's still May. It will take time to form a club, and I have to work out issues of insurance, equipment, facilities, as well as work out all the non-pole vault tasks I have to accomplish. I didn't lie when I said that I wanted to form a club down here, and I will make a nice big post for everyone to see when I have gotten things set up, or even made progress on it, but as for Martin and vault3rb0y, they're friends of mine and former team mates whom I would like to train with myself this summer when possible. There is no plan right now, and I'll let you know when there is.
-Nick

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 pm

I'll wait in anticipation silently for now... :yes:

marbaugh
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Volunteer College Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby marbaugh » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:12 pm

I am in the Towson/Baltimore area and I am the volunteer vault coach at Towson University, http://www.facebook.com/TowsonVaulting. My wife and I both vaulted at college at the University of Delaware and have been helping athletes in the area. We have recently started a coaching service, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/ateamvaulting
-Matt

Return to “Northeast Region”