Looking for Camps in MD, DC, VA Area

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

sgdagg
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Looking for Camps in MD, DC, VA Area

Unread postby sgdagg » Fri May 14, 2010 9:47 am

Does anyone know of good vaulting camps or training opportunities for high schoolers in the MD, DC, or VA area with a preference in Maryland?

Thanks...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Looking for Camps in MD, DC, VA Area

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:40 am

There might be some leads in this thread: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... 20&t=15181

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 pm

PG center. I'm working out with Bill Athey down there. He holds clinic on Sundays (mid day) and Wednesdays (evening) right up until August I believe.
-Nick

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:45 pm

DISCLAIMER (with regards to above)... If you want to learn the Petrov model, do not go to the PG Center to train with that guy... If you just want to vault, then go there... the facility is awesome. BUT, he'll/(they'll?) make you pay to use it.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sun May 30, 2010 7:50 am

Disclaimer (with regards to the above). While he won't explicitly teach you what is exactly the Petrov model, I have had no problem working towards it while I've been down there. As long as you know how to communicate politely and respectfully I don't think there should be a problem. I think he teaches technique which closely mirrors the Petrov model for a majority of the jump. He doesn't place as much emphasis on the run and takeoff, but that doesn't mean you can't. I certainly wouldn't throw out the idea of working out down there. He definitely cares a great deal about the vaulters who practice there and really wants them to succeed.

The other point was entirely true though. It is a clinic , and so you do have to pay by the session.
-Nick

Return to “Northeast Region”