Sky is the limit for Chris McCarty (NY)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Sky is the limit for Chris McCarty (NY)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:45 pm

http://morning-times.com/articles/2010/ ... 567133.txt

Sky is the limit

By DAVE POST
Sports Editor
Published:
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:43 AM EDT
VESTAL — High expectations are a good thing. It’s important to strive to do and be the best.

There’s nobody who has higher expectations for himself than Waverly pole vaulter Chris McCarty. Therefore, even with a state title under his belt, he was disappointed with his performance.

“I know where the disappointment comes from. It’s because I know that I’m better than a 15-foot vault,” said McCarty after picking up his state hardware, including the New York State Public High School Athletic Association gold and a fifth-place medal from the New York State Federation of Secondary School Athletic Associations, which includes all public schools, catholic schools, independent schools and New York City public schools Saturday morning.

“It showed in my vaults that I had height over 15-6, which could lead to even bigger heights. It’s just a disappointment of not making over 15 feet.”

McCarty vaulted 14-6 for part of the season, then began making 15 feet with regularity. He was hoping for more at the state meet.

“I made 15 consistently all year, so not making anything higher in the last meet of the year was a letdown.”

McCarty actually cleared 15-6 on his second vault, but a brush with the bar was enough to bring it down.

“On the third jump, I was in the mind set of failure and it really got to me when the bar fell off after I’d had such clearance over it,” he said.

That’s one thing about pole vault. The bar is always going to fall. It isn’t a question of whether, merely a question of how high.

“Pole vault is all I work for. Sprinting on the side is nice when needed.”

But given his choice, he’d just vault.

“I’d stay focused on it.”

McCarty is planning on vaulting in college, but before that he has some plans for the summer.

“I know there are some meets I can vault in over the summer,” said McCarty, who mentioned the Beach Vault and Empire State Games as two possibilities. “I may attend a couple of camps, too. I want to do as much as I can.”

And after that?

“I’m really pumped for college,” said McCarty.

Return to “Northeast Region”