Alex Howden values victory and camaraderie (WV)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Alex Howden values victory and camaraderie (WV)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 pm

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201204050308

Friday April 6, 2012
Vaulter values victory and camaraderie

By CHRISTOPHER WADE

FOR THE DAILY MAIL

One minute, Hurricane's Alex Howden is vaulting through the air over the pole, and the next, he is cheering and encouraging the next participant to do the same.

While winning is important to the senior, the success of his peers is just an important to Howden, a rarity to see in athletes competing directly against each other in an individual sport.

"If you help them, they help you back," the 18-year-old Howden said. "They all are nice kids and I always want to see everyone do great. This is one of those events where everyone is friendly with each other."

As supportive as Howden is with his competitors, he has been making a habit of getting the best of them and Thursday was no different when Howden won first place in the Hurricane Invitational with a vault of 13 feet.

Howden is not only one of the top pole vaulters in the area, but also ranks in a tie for first in the state in Class AAA along with Parkersburg South's Logan Cox and Washington's Roland Rush.

"I was pretty happy with my performance today," Howden said. "I wanted to get (13 feet, 6 inches) but I was happy with 13. I'm tied for first in the state so that's good. We actually have a lot more competition and I like to see that."

Howden is slowly getting back into action after being forced to miss practice time and a meet earlier in the season after getting stitches in his mouth, but his future goals are clear.

"Hopefully by the next meet, Ill be clearing 13.6 and I'm hoping to get above that too," Howden said. "I would love to be in the 14 range. It's always been a goal. If I get it, I would tie a school record and that would be a great thing."

When Howden graduates after this season, one of his fellow competitors and rivals might be the next to vault near the top of the state in Winfield's Chris Cochran.

Also competing in the on Thursday night, Cochran was right behind Howden, finishing with a vault of 12 feet, matching his highest total this season.

Cochran, just a sophomore, is not only in his second year competing at the high school level, but also is in just his second year participating in pole vaulting.

Despite just taking to the sport, Cochran has been a quick learner, already starting to make a name for himself, being ranked fifth.

Cochran, himself, is a little shocked at how fast he has not only picked up the sport, but also enjoyed as much success as he has, as well.

"I thought it would take at least two years to even get to 10 feet," Cochran said. "I started out at my first meet at 8 feet and I got to 11 feet my fourth meet."

Howden has certainly taken notice of Cochran and holds him in high regard.

"I could easily see him getting near the top, especially with the great coaches he has," Howden said. "He could be there by the end of the year. He's that impressive. He has got what it takes."

Return to “Northeast Region”