New England Girls

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

LogIc
PV Fan

New England Girls

Unread postby LogIc » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:55 am

I was at the new england gils meet but i am not sure who placed and what not, can anyone help me with this :)
~>[LogIc]<~

WA Vaulters: It's What We Do

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:03 am

Maine's Bethany Dumas I believe is her name won at 11-7.

Had some nice attempts at 11-11.

I don't really know from there. I know Narragansett's(sp) vaulter was up there.

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:12 am

wow, you were at new england girls? i thought you were a guy? hahaha :P

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm

spike gibeault wrote:wow, you were at new england girls? i thought you were a guy? hahaha :P

Ahahaha, hilarious.

Girls went first, and I got there early and watched.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:18 pm

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/s ... 97197.html

Cony's Dumas wins N.E. pole vault title

Staff reports
FITCHBURG, Mass. -- The waiting continued for Cony High School pole vaulter Bethany Dumas.

After missing out on the chance to compete in the New England Outdoor Track and Field Championship last spring due to a rain-induced scheduling conflict, Dumas had to wait two extra days to compete in the pole vault at New Englands this spring. Poor conditions Saturday forced officials to postpone the pole vault until Monday.

When Dumas finally got to vault, the wait was worth it.

Monday afternoon, Dumas, a junior, set a meet record to win the New England girls pole vault title with a vault of 11 feet, 7 inches at Fitchburg State College in Fitchburg, Mass. Dumas, the three-time defending Class A champion, was joined by another Maine winner, David Slovenski of Brunswick, who won with a vault of 15-0.

"(Saturday) there was rain and thunder and lightning so it was not safe," Dumas said. "I was glad it was on Monday because the weather was really, really nice."

Dumas competed in the javelin competition Saturday, finishing 11th with a throw of 113-0. When she headed back to Maine after the meet Saturday, she wasn't sure she would be able to return Monday for the pole vault, because she had finals scheduled for that day.

"It was kind of a pain," Dumas said. "I had to see if I could take my finals the next day."

Dumas easily won the pole competition, finishing more than a foot ahead of second-place finisher Sophia Romeri of Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School. Dumas entered the contest at 10-6, which is the last height any of her competitors cleared. Six other competitors cleared 10-6.

Dumas cleared all her heights on the first attempt with the exception of 11-7, which she cleared on her second attempt. After setting the meet record, she attempted 11-11, but just missed on all three attempts.

"I was very close on all three attempts," Dumas said. "A couple times I thought I'd made it. I heard the crowd (cheer) then (the bar) falls down." With her 11-7 vault, Dumas broke the record of 11-6 set by Kristen Bakanowski of Algonquin Regional School (Mass.) in 2004.

Dumas adds the New England record to her cache of Maine records. She holds both the indoor and outdoor Class A pole vault records, as well as the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference Class A outdoor record, and KVAC indoor record.

Slovenski's closest competitors were Alex LeBlanc of Oakmont, Mass., and Jamie Kida of Essex, Vt., both of whom vaulted 14-6

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:36 pm

Bethany Dumas was terrific. She looked great! She was a champion, and was clearly number one on Monday!

Some people have asked me "What happened to Jessica Sullivan at New Englands?" So I'll explain.

Please understand, I don't mean to take anything at all away from Bethany Dumas's performance at all. As I said, she was fabulous.

But for those of you who are interested in what happened to Jessica, here's the scoop.

Jessica Sullivan (whom I coach) from Norwich Free Academy in CT (who came in seeded #1 at 11'06") had a fantastic warmup. She was on her second-biggest pole, and had moved her steps back about a foot in warmups. I've coached Jess for 4 years, and honestly it was the best warmup I've ever seen her have. Based on her warmups, I was thinking that she'd almost certainly make 11'06" and that she'd probably have a legitimate shot at 12'00".

But then while she was waiting to start (10'06"), she had an attack of what we think was food poisoning (she had eaten breakfast at a special "senior breakfast"...in hindsight..a mistake). She got nauseous, threw up twice, and was dizzy when it came time for her to vault. If you were there, you saw the effect...she no-heighted barely able to take off. She was just too dizzy and disoriented to make a go of it.

During the previous 2 weeks, Jessica had cleared 11'00.75"; 11'04"; 11'00.25"; 11'03"; and 11'06" in competition (setting the CT outdoor record 3 times, and two State Meet Records in the process). So, it was just a shame to see her get so sick and nauseous right in the middle of the New England meet. Just incredibly unlucky.

Again, congratulations to Bethany and all of the other girls. Jessica started feeling okay again later that night. She's looking forward to a good summer, and she'll be off to the university of Notre Dame in late August.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:47 pm

She definitely looked off, and that explains it.

Unfortunate for her.

Return to “New England Region”