Steve Slovenski Article

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Steve Slovenski Article

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:06 pm

http://www.timesrecord.com/website/main ... endocument

In his father's footsteps

Marc_Meyers@TimesRecord.Com

01/14/2005

Brunswick senior Steve Slovenski soars to great heights - just like his father Peter.
Bowdoin College cross country and track and field coach Peter Slovenski knew the conference championship mark in pole vault he set as a high schooler at Lewiston in 1974 would eventually be broken.

He just didn't know that the closest threat would be his own son.

Brunswick High School senior Steve Slovenski is carrying on a family legacy in the world of Maine track and field, but also making a name for himself as the fourth high school pole vaulter to crest 14 feet in state history.

In the family
Steve's love for track and field originally developed not as a sport but as a way to wind down. In the fifth grade, he began running around the neighborhood to tucker himself out before bedtime.

"I was kind of a hyper kid and I could never get to sleep at night," said Steve. "That did it."

Steve ran distance events and cross country, first with the Brunswick Rec. programs and then at junior high, until he became interested in the pole vault when he discovered his father Peter was a former pole vaulter.

Peter's father was Walter Slovenski, the longtime Bates College track and cross country coach, so obviously talk of track permeated the house.

Peter said that he and his brother Paul â€â€

Return to “New England Region”