Caitlin Crowley Article (CT)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Caitlin Crowley Article (CT)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:55 am

http://www.bristolpress.com/site/news.c ... 4194&rfi=6

BRISTOL -- Two multi-sports athletes share ‘‘Athlete of the Week’’ honors in area scholastic sports, one who is winding down an outstanding four-year career and another who will be finishing the halfway point this season in what should also be a standout high school career.

They are Lewis Mills senior Caitlin Crowley, captain of the school’s girls outdoor track team, and sophomore sprinter Dustin Tucker of the Bristol Central boys track team.

‘‘I think the (Class S) state championship she won this year (in indoor pole vault) was well deserved,’’ said Mills track coach Jim Husbands. ‘‘She worked very hard this year and I hope she can continue her success this spring.’’

And she has. In Mills first competition of the season, a home meet where Mills beat both Gilbert and Oliver Wolcott Tech while losing to Litchfield, Crowley captured both the high jump (4-8) and pole vault (8-0) while finishing third in the two-mile.

‘‘I like the pole vault the best because it feels like you are flying,’’ said Crowley. ‘‘It takes a lot of practice and it’s challenging. When you’ve cleared it and look up and see the bar is still on, it’s a good feeling.’’

The Burlington resident’s goals for the season are to break the school record of 5-2 in the outdoor high jump while getting under 12 minutes in the two-mile. Her best jump has been 5-0.

With regards to the vault, she added what many pole vault participants have to work on anddeal with.

‘‘I want to be able to bend my pole,’’ said Crowley. ‘‘I must get over the fear of when it bends.’’

An All-Berkshire League pick the last three outdoor track seasons, Crowley holds the school record with a leap of 8-6 in the pole vault while a member of the school record-holding 4X800 relay team. In indoor track, she holds the school records in pole vault (8-0), the high jump (5-0) andtwo-mile (12:16).

This past indoor track season in addition to winning the state Class S pole vault title, she placed third in the high jump at 4-9.

As a four-year participant in cross country and indoor track, she has eight varsity letters. She also has three in outdoor track with another coming at the end of the season.

Crowley is contemplating studying physical education in college next year. She plans on sports, too, if the school she attends makes them available.

Return to “New England Region”