Justin Savini Article (DE)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Justin Savini Article (DE)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 22, 2005 8:14 pm

http://www.newszap.com/articles/2005/05 ... snsp01.txt

State track and field: Milford, Cape shine; Savini vaults to front
By Chris Gasiewski, Delaware State News

Delmarva Christian's Justin Savini clears 12 feet, six inches to take the Division II pole vault state title Saturday at Polytech. Savini, who transfered from Cape Henlopen, placed second in the event last year. Delaware State News/Daniel Korup
WOODSIDE - Justin Savini just wanted a change.

The junior pole vaulter wanted to be able to focus on academics and athletics.

So, prior to the school year, Savini transferred from Cape Henlopen to the newly opened Delmarva Christian in Georgetown.

"I just wanted something different, a little bit of a higher standard where I can get a Christ-centered education as well as sports and everything," Savini said. "It's different. I kind of miss a big school, but it's nice to have one-on-one attention."

Little did Savini know that he would give the school that enrolls a little more then 80 students some notoriety.

Savini cleared 12 feet, six inches taking the Division II pole vault title at the state track and field meet at Polytech Saturday. He beat Caravel's Mark McMahon by a half a foot.

Milford won the Division II boys meet, collecting 85 points. Mount Pleasant was second with 78 and Hodgson third with 62.

In the Division I boys meet, Salesianum was first with 110 points, beating Newark out by just one point. Christiana was third with 93 points.

Competing on a team that fields just four players and doesn't have a home track didn't deter Savini, who placed second at the state meet last year and took this year's Diamond State title. And he had a little incentive coming in.

Savini got his wish last week when his brother Matt, who is a Marine, came home from Iraq. Just having the elder Savini there was enough for Justin.

"I didn't know if he was going to be home for the state meet," the younger Savini said. "I really wanted him to and his schedule got pushed forward so he was able to be home. It was awesome ... It's always good to have family close by."

Savini's state title just might put Delmarva Christian on the map. And Royals' coach Stephen Lee feels it could increase interest in the school as well as the program.

"It's awesome. I mean it's a first-year school," Royals coach Stephen Lee said. "I just told him, now we get to go bug the principal about getting more equipment."

Savini added, "I think so, absolutely. Now I think people are going to know what purple is."

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:42 am

Congrats little bro!

He also did a great job and the meet of champions with a 13'6 vault :yes:
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

Return to “New England Region”