Valpo's Sutton looks to 'straighten out' pole vault (IN)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Valpo's Sutton looks to 'straighten out' pole vault (IN)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:56 pm

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/04/09 ... 06b51c.txt

Valpo's Sutton looks to 'straighten out' pole vault
Monday, April 9, 2007 12:19 AM CDT
Post a Comment

BY JOHN O'MALLEY
jomalley@nwitimes.com

Abbey Sutton is a little perplexed over how she's going to overcome a bad habit she can't seem to shake.

You see, the Valparaiso junior pole vaulter doesn't always have the perfect plant on her vault.

"It's mostly because of my arms,'' Sutton said. "I bend them and they're supposed to be straight and not bend on the pole.''

Sutton spent time working on her plant last summer with Paul Babbit of Vault High Athletics in Fort Wayne and is currently working with Valpo vault coach Tony Priano on correcting the flaw.

"It's a hard habit to break, but it's something I'm trying to stop doing,'' Sutton said. "I'm getting more comfortable, but it's kind of hard and it's going to take me a while to figure it out.''

If it's difficult, it's something Sutton will eventually be able to overcome, because of her athletic ability.

A gifted gymnast, Sutton finished first at the state meet in Level 9 at Connersville a week ago -- with an all-around score of 37.2 -- while competing for Gym Plus in Merrillville.

Even though she finished first last year at the same meet, her all-around score was higher this year.

"I think (gymnastics) really helps with your learning skills in that you're a little more in tune,'' Sutton said. "I think you pick up things quicker.''

As a freshman, Sutton qualified for state and finished 10th. She followed with a seventh-place finish last year.

The junior, who carries a 3.4 grade point average, is determined to finish among the state's best this year. She's gone 11 feet, 6 inches indoors, and Priano said she regularly clears 12 feet in practice.

"My goal right now is to go 13 feet by the end of the season, or maybe even before that,'' Sutton said. "I'm pretty confident I can, as long as I get up on a bigger pole. I think if I keep on the path I'm going now and (clear) 13 feet, it will probably be good enough to finish in the top five (at state), but I really want to do better.''

Priano believes Sutton's speed and body control will benefit her greatly when the postseason begins.

"If she's not in the top three, it would be amazing to me, because she's just that good now,'' Priano said.

Valpo head coach Jim McCall said 13 feet and beyond is attainable if Sutton solves her plant technique.

"Abbey has a great ability to control her body in the air,'' he said. "Now that she's working on her technique ... if you put those two together, she could be working on a big height.''

Return to “Heartland Region”