Slip 'n Slide injury can't keep Uhle down (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Slip 'n Slide injury can't keep Uhle down (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:43 pm

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/conten ... rss&cat=44

Track and field: Slip 'n Slide injury can't keep Liberty vaulter down
Uhle overcomes sore tailbone to become state champion
Saturday, June 2, 2007 3:35 AM
By Steve Blackledge
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Will Vragovic Dispatch
Mike Uhle sails over the bar at 15 feet, 4 inches to clinch a state pole-vault title.

Pole vaulters are born daredevils. So Mike Uhle of Olentangy Liberty couldn't pass up the chance to have a little harmless fun during a graduation party last weekend.
When one of the revelers tossed a Slip 'n Slide in the backyard, Uhle naturally was the first to volunteer.

Momentarily forgetting that he was the top-ranked Division I pole vaulter in the state, Uhle injured his tailbone, not to mention his pride.

"I was so embarrassed to do something so stupid the week before state, I didn't tell anybody about the injury except my pole-vault coach," Uhle said.

"It hurt so bad I couldn't vault until late in the week. My pole-vault coach and I kept it under wraps from the head coach and everybody else and acted like everything was normal. I didn't want that being out there as an excuse if I lost or vaulted poorly."

No excuses were needed. Uhle went from Slip 'n Slide to grip and glide yesterday, winning the state title with an effort of 15 feet, 4 inches in Ohio State's Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

He was one of three central Ohio champions on the first day of action. Alexandra Roberts of Columbus School for Girls won the Division II girls shot put (44-2 ½ ) and Heather Sole of Licking Valley defended her title in the Division II high jump (5-7).

Uhle cleared his first attempt at 15-4, then watched 2006 runner-up Daniel Garrett of Kings Mills Kings and Andrew Klecan of Massillon Perry miss three times.

With the crowd clapping in unison, Uhle missed three tries at a state-record height of 16-1, although the first and third ones were close.

"I moved to a bigger pole on the second try at the record, and on the third try I had the height, but I just clipped the bar with my thigh on the way up," Uhle said. "Turns out I should have been using that pole all along."

The University of Akron-bound senior also used a borrowed pole when he set a regional record with a career-best 15-8 vault more than a week earlier at Hilliard Davidson.

"That's the hardest thing about the pole vault: knowing where to put the standards and which size pole to use," he said.

Uhle came a long way from his freshman season.

"He was the skinniest, most uncoordinated kid I'd ever seen when he was a freshman," Patriots pole-vault coach Jason Schall said. "The kid couldn't even run straight.

"His junior year was when he made his biggest gain, going from 12-6 to 15-0, but he only came away with ninth place (in the state). Mike's improvement has been all about being persistent and motivated."

The area's premier vaulter the past two seasons, Uhle entered the competition yesterday with the top qualifying mark, but that didn't necessarily put him at ease. Seven vaulters were still alive at 15-0. He didn't relax until clearing 15-4.

Uhle was especially pleased to be the first male state champion in any sport for Liberty, which opened in 2003.

"I was just happy about going 15-4 and winning, then I started putting it all in perspective about making history for the school," he said. "Hopefully, this will lead to even bigger things for our track program."

Return to “Heartland Region”