Garrett ends prep career 3rd in pole vault (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Garrett ends prep career 3rd in pole vault (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 pm

http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/cont ... rrett.html

Garrett ends prep career 3rd in pole vault

Kings senior disappointed in result after last year's finish.

By Steven Matthews
Staff Writer
Thursday, June 07, 2007

Daniel Garrett was hoping for a better ending to his high school career.

The Kings High senior placed third in the pole vault competition Friday at the Division I state meet at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium at Ohio State University.

Latest headlines

Lebanon board, former auditing firm reach $80K settlement
Candidates line up for Little Miami school board seats
Portman leaves White House
Prosecutor in court for OVI charges
Lebanon school district lifts teachers' wage freeze
Get latest headlines via RSS feeds
Garrett, who was second a year ago with a height of 15 feet, tied that mark this time around. A miss at 14-8 cost him, as runner-up Andrew Klecan of Massillon Perry (15-0) did not have any misses.

"I wasn't really too happy about it," Garrett said. "I was runner-up last year, and I was hoping for better.

"I expected to PR and compete better than I did," he said.

Garrett's future teammate at the University of Akron, Mike Uhle of Olentangy Liberty, won the title at 15-4. Garrett's personal best is 15-3.

Kings coach Jim Brant said that in his honest assessment of the meet, second was as high as Garrett could have achieved because of Uhle, who jumped from ninth place a year ago.

"He was a little disappointed, but I don't think that much. He was OK with it. You'll never fully satisfied unless you win," Brant said.

Garrett, who said he is pleased overall with his four-year career for the Knights, is excited about the opportunity to amp up his training with the Zips.

"I expect to compete well," he said. "I won't get too bummed the first few meets because I'll be a freshman competing against seniors."

Return to “Heartland Region”