Watkins vaults way to title (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Watkins vaults way to title (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:44 pm

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs ... /804200331

Watkins vaults way to title
Four wins lift team to Hank Smith championship
By KURT SNYDER
Sports Writer

HEATH -- Newark junior Jordan Long set a new personal standard in the pole vault at Saturday's Hank Smith Invitational.

It was Michelle Robbins' championship in the same event, however, that helped vault her Watkins team to a team title by the slimmest of margins.

The Warriors' victories in four events, including two relays, gave them 106 points to Columbus School for Girls' 105.5. The Unicorns won the 1,600 relay, the meet's final event, but Watkins anchor Gabby Calderone kept the Warriors in second place and in the necessary position for the team's second title of the season.

"I was glad we were able to hold it together," Watkins coach Jan Heffelfinger said. "We are doing a good job, but we are still tweaking. We are looking at a couple things here and there. Hopefully, we will keep improving."
Robbins was forced to reach 10 feet in the pole vault because Long cleared 9-9 for the first time in her career. Robbins, who was second at the meet the past two years, and classmate Rebecca Ollish, who finished third at 9-6, are no strangers to the top of the leaderboard in area events.

But Long already has been consistently working her way through the heights this season, and she did it Saturday after a good practice Friday. She said it does not hurt to have a chance to pick up a few tips from her competitors.

Long would like to get to where Robbins has been. Robbins was a conference champion and a state qualifier in 2007.

"Yesterday, we put the bungee at 11-0, and I was barely making it over," Long said. "That should mean I should make 10-6.

"My coach will say, 'Do you see the girls and see how they swing?' If you watch the good girls, you can learn from them."

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Thu May 01, 2008 9:18 pm

HAHA Right on Marty D. Right On :yes:
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

Return to “Heartland Region”